Texas Fishing Forum

Before the storm hit

Posted By: tboxfish

Before the storm hit - 08/24/15 09:55 PM

I've been fishing more than usual lately as I need some revenge after falling on my face during the CAT tourney realmad
Belinda & I had a real good day the Sunday after the tourney with 2 over 2#'s caught, then we caught some more on Friday in the high winds

I got on the water yesterday morning & returned to the area I had been doing good at before the fish decided to not play with me
The spots that I had been catching fish only produced dinks,
but if you could scan around and find a small group of fish on smaller sections of structure.......
Then give them the presentation they wanted.......THUMP!

There was no "Was that a bite?" as it had been lately hooked

The presentation was to SLOWLY raise & lower your jig.......
But they would only hit it if you were moving it up so SLOW that you'd have to stare to see that I was raising it....
And they hit it on the rise hmmm

The fish here are already starting to fatten up and put on weight cheers
The water only got up to 85 degrees
Fish were in 21-24 fow and I was catching them 17' down
Midday a strong wind/rain storm rolled thru and I got off the water just in the nick of time.
After the storm rolled thru, I went back out, but couldn't get the quality fish to bite.
Caught 60-70 short fish before I decided that I'd had enough.
All fish kept were 11' or better.
Although I had 5 rods rigged and constantly changed colors and styles, all the good fish were caught on a new prototype bait I've been testing
The "Tadpole" in Pearl Ice

and the Mr. Fry in Silver Flash/Chart....

The wind even subsided before the storm rolled thru and I was able to use a 1/32 jig head with a Lil' Fry, but bigger was better roflmao

Time to start scouting CC, so I'll leave these fish here alone for a bit..........
That's a tall order when I can sit here and see the lake....I'll leave them alone for the most part anyway roflmao
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/24/15 10:30 PM

Nice report. Love it when they let you know they are wanting to play when they try and jerk the rod out of your hand.

By the way. I don't think you fell on your face at all in the CAT trail. 38+ lbs. on jig only "NO MINNOWS" only Thermocline Lures is a huge success. You guys did very well. You should feel very proud of your accomplishments and walk tall with your head high.

Hope to see you at the TSCC and next years CAT trail. Keep on making baits as I am running low...
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/24/15 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Nice report. Love it when they let you know they are wanting to play when they try and jerk the rod out of your hand.

By the way. I don't think you fell on your face at all in the CAT trail. 38+ lbs. on jig only "NO MINNOWS" only Thermocline Lures is a huge success. You guys did very well. You should feel very proud of your accomplishments and walk tall with your head high.

Hope to see you at the TSCC and next years CAT trail. Keep on making baits as I am running low...

I thought I had them penned up for the Fork tourney...didn't talk any smack...didn't stick my fish, just graphed them.
Maybe I should have played around there more and found out that they had moved slightly.......
Oh well, live & learn
Posted By: crappiegetter

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/24/15 11:44 PM

nice catch thumb
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/24/15 11:57 PM

clap

Gman
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/25/15 01:28 AM

Awesome post and some solid fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: GhostRider32

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/25/15 01:03 PM

Nice fish Todd.
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/25/15 01:15 PM

Nice slabs...good report!
Posted By: TexExp

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/25/15 01:26 PM

Great detailed report, thanks!
Those are some good slabs. WTG
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/25/15 09:45 PM

Good report, I use 4-5 rods this time of year because the sun is so hard on rods, but in the cool months use 10-12. Let us know what you decide on the tadpole, sounds good, and I rate Belinda's pearl ice first in class on all of the jigs she does in it.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/25/15 10:24 PM

Little mans loadded up with birthday money again!! Tell your wife to get to work!!! roflmao
Posted By: crope1

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/26/15 03:39 AM

Still proud of you Mr Box! you are good at figuring them finicky lil rascals out,so keep up the good work! thx for the report.
Posted By: lookingfor25

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/29/15 03:55 AM

Way to go sir
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/29/15 11:23 PM

Good job tbox
Posted By: Chad Stephens

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/29/15 11:34 PM

Great report! Very detailed. Thanks
Posted By: Rook1436

Re: Before the storm hit - 08/30/15 03:56 AM

One day I'll be able to catch some crappie like that. fish