Texas Fishing Forum

Night lights question

Posted By: Luke57

Night lights question - 08/22/15 03:54 PM

Want to try some night crappie fishin what's my options long time ago I use to the styrofoam dome light are there new and better items
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: Night lights question - 08/22/15 09:06 PM

Use a Green Submersible LED light. Otherwise, you are just wasting power. Those lights that people have around the gunnel of their boat look cool, but its the equivelent of 22" rims on a LTD. All my light are under a water INCLUDING the ones mounted to my hull. If you just starting out just get one from Academy that you put a weight on to sink. Or you can make your own for 20-40 bucks. There are tons of videos on Youtube.com on how to do so properly.
Posted By: crappiegetter

Re: Night lights question - 08/23/15 05:00 AM

Being one with those 20" wheels hammer lol Has to agree with the led drop light I love my 2'er thumb
Originally Posted By: SaltyDawg88
Use a Green Submersible LED light. Otherwise, you are just wasting power. Those lights that people have around the gunnel of their boat look cool, but its the equivelent of 22" rims on a LTD. All my light are under a water INCLUDING the ones mounted to my hull. If you just starting out just get one from Academy that you put a weight on to sink. Or you can make your own for 20-40 bucks. There are tons of videos on Youtube.com on how to do so properly.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Night lights question - 08/23/15 11:07 AM

I use a drop light also.....Haven't been out at night in way too long, but I also have a green led light under the rub rail on my boat.
I've used it alone before, had tons of shad move in and circle the boat. And caught a lot of fish...
On that trip, my drop light didn't work when I got out. I now have another drop light, but the led on my boat provides enough light to see my rod tips and tie on hooks without using my headlight and drawing bugs in to my face clap

No 20" rims for me roflmao

I got my green led light on E Bay for under $20
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Night lights question - 08/23/15 11:24 AM

The green color of light works best as it travels farther under water. The white light works too but only at about 80% of the green light penetration under water. You can use a light on the surface or under the water. It is strictly YOUR choice. The light penetrates the water surface and that draws in the plankton which draws in the bait fish which draws in the game fish if they are nearby.
I am sure you have seen docks with bright white lights on them over the water? You can always find bait fish under the lights. That's is why they put them up.
I use underwater green LED lights AND I use a 8 beam LED white light shining on the surface next to my boat. The green light I found works well to draw them in lower in the water column and the white light draws in the plankton just as well as the green light but I always see more minnows and shad near the surface with my white light shinning directly on the water rather than dropping my green light just under the surface.
I ditch the white light if bugs are bad. Don't like them bugs!
So bottom line is your white light that floats will still work but you will probably do better ADDING the green light as well.
Posted By: Luke57

Re: Night lights question - 08/23/15 02:38 PM

Thanks to all for the helpful info
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum