Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie Time...

Posted By: Mayo

Crappie Time... - 07/29/15 10:59 PM

I want to go for some crappie for the first time since I bought my first boat. The bass have been off so time for a change of pace and some relaxation so to speak. Been a while since I've had some in the skillet too.

Anyways, I'm not sure where the best bite or lake is ATM around Frisco. Also because of all the rain I haven't learned the lakes all that well either so the plan is to go out early evening and fish dark for a while. The three closest lakes to me are Lewisville, Ray Bob and Lavon.

If anyone would mind pointing me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Any tips or tricks are welcomed also. wink

Thanks cheers
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: Crappie Time... - 07/30/15 12:50 AM

If you're going to night fish, hit the bridges with lights.

Re: Crappie Time... - 07/30/15 01:02 AM

Don't have any lights. What's a quick easy way to make this happen? Thanks
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: Crappie Time... - 07/30/15 01:12 AM

You can buy submersible lights at a lot of places. Sorry I can't be of too much help. I don't usually fish at night but have heard of people doing well on the bridges near the channels at night. Maybe someone else will chime in. You can also tie up to some deep timber but not knowing the lakes you want to try, the bridge would be a safe bet. Google it.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Crappie Time... - 07/30/15 02:16 AM

Mayo those old style floating headlights are only $10 or less and they work good, BUT, I would take an extra battery just to run the light. The only submersible LED light I currently have is one of those small Berkley's and it's disappointing to say the least. Also, if you have a Thermocell be sure and take it, if not then you'll want one.

Re: Crappie Time... - 07/30/15 05:24 PM

Looks like I'm goong to buy a snakebait light. Just so happens they were posted on the trading post last night and I talked to the buy earlier. He said he runs them off his cranking battery with zero issues. I do need a Thermocell just incase though. Good idea...

So what's a hot lake around Frisco for crappie right now???
Posted By: rockhopper

Re: Crappie Time... - 07/31/15 01:54 AM

If you just want to go try night fishing, fish boat docks or marinas with lights on them. Look for the ones with bait around them or even sandies busting around then back away and fish the edges of the light penetrations.

Re: Crappie Time... - 07/31/15 05:17 PM

thanks for the tip sir....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum