Texas Fishing Forum

Need a Confidence Boost?

Posted By: Laner

Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/11/15 02:57 AM

I wanted to try a little something different these last few days, so I thought I would have some fun. I picked out a few random jigs from an embarrassing amount of old tackle, as well as a few new jigs I've been hearing a lot about, and took them out on the water with me to see what I could do.

I would start each brush pile with my normal jig, then once I found feeding fish, I would try one of the random jigs shown below. I caught crappie on each one of these jigs, some producing more than others. I'm not posting this because I think I'm all that great of a fisherman, because I'm not. I'm showing this because I want fishermen to see the importance of finding feeding fish, and having confidence in whatever jig they are fishing with at the time. Without a doubt, you will find times when color matters a great deal, but more times than not, aggressive and confident fishing will lead you to a tasty dinner.

I started with two jigs from Thermocline, and to absolutely no surprise, I caught fish immediately. These jigs are really starting to make a name for themselves. Next up was a silver little diddy called an Arkie Shiney Hiney. This jig was caught a few from Lake Pat Cleburne. Numbers four and five come from Mr Skip Nantz of Thump It jigs. I really, really like the gold one. I bought these jigs when I used to have a deer lease on Toledo Bend. The number six jig came from Mr Muschalek's sons, who will probably take my job as a guide one day. Number seven jig is a hair and plastic combo which was melted to the side of my tackle box. Number eight was in bad shape, as I dug it out of my sandbass night-fishing selection from my college days. We used to fish Eagle Mountain in the summer. When the south wind blew, a lot of sandies lost their lifes. Number nine is a Crazy Thunder Chicken Thump Buddy, an old time favorite for the big girls.

I had a lot of fun getting to fish with these jigs. It was fun to try something different and a few of them brought back some pretty good memories.
Posted By: chickenman

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/11/15 03:55 AM

Good read and info as usual, Lane.
Posted By: jiggin el

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/11/15 08:34 AM

Confidence is the key
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/11/15 11:15 AM

Great post Laner, you make me realize that most jigs are for catching fishermen, not fish! It's amazing how many boxes of jigs I have on my boat that never see the light of day...and I keep adding more and more to them every year. Before much longer, I'm either going to have to get a bigger Lund, or start shedding some of the balast in my 18'er!
And as Jiggin E points out, confidence is the key!
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/11/15 12:48 PM

Should have thrown that Frog in the mix Lane.

If you ever get a day off, let's go fishing.
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/11/15 01:34 PM

Great post. Thanks Lane.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/11/15 02:18 PM

clap

I would have never thought the color on the head of a jig would make much difference in the bite, but yesterday, it made all the difference in the world. Same jig same brushpile, unpainted head, the bite was slow. The minute I dropped a blue sparkle head in that brushpile, Game on. I switched back and forth several times just experimenting and had the same result each time.

Gman
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/11/15 03:49 PM

Great post Lane cheers

Thanks for sharing

thumb
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/11/15 11:32 PM

I like the gold one also... And have caught a bunch of fish on a red/black/white...
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/12/15 02:00 AM

I needed this post dude. Thank you!
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/12/15 04:44 AM

Great read Lane and a great selection of baits.
Posted By: CRAPPIEJIGN

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/12/15 07:01 PM

Lane,

Very curious, about the standard marabou jig #8 from your college days. How did the old standby perform for you and compare to the other morsels you swam in front of the crappie?
Posted By: mayor (crappiepete)

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/12/15 10:09 PM

Great report and confidence builder. Have most of the jigs you show. Gotta stop tying and lose more jigs....
Tks for a good report !!!
Posted By: SlabbedSilly

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/13/15 03:32 AM

Great post Lane!! Sure made my boys' day. We are heading your way in two weeks but we aren't sure if we will be doing any fishing.

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/15/15 10:33 PM

Sorry it took me awhile to reply guys. I've been catching tarpon and reds down on the coast.

Crappiejign: The standard marabou by no means "wore them out" but I did catch a dink and a keeper off of it.

SlabbedSilly: Not doing any fishing down here? What is wrong with you smile ????

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/15/15 10:56 PM

Ha ha Lane!!! It was going to be hard with six people in my Tahoe to fit my gear grin

I managed to talk the wife into taking two cars, so fishing it is!!
The in-laws have a time share so we will be staying at Lake Pakestine for four days...July 27th-30th. Congrats on the tarpon and bull reds!! Glad y'all made it home safely and had a chance to get away. Let's go fishing again sometime brother....for sure in October or early November!

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/16/15 07:13 PM

Ya'll didn't have to rent a Uhaul for all the gear, did you? I bet you have a blast on your vacation! Send me some pictures if you start wearing them out.
Posted By: lookingfor25

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/17/15 02:33 AM

Nice read sir

Re: Need a Confidence Boost? - 07/17/15 05:45 AM

No Uhaul for the summer trips. Just a few rods and some crappie/bluegill gear. Spring fishing is whole other story Lane. You know I need four rods for each of four techniques. ...man, I am exhausted just thinking about it! See you soon Lane!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum