Texas Fishing Forum

Fly Fish for Crappie?

Posted By: dropngobble

Fly Fish for Crappie? - 06/27/15 08:33 PM

Curious if anyone has much success fly fishing for crappie? If so what fly patterns do you find most successful?

Thanks,

#tightlines
Posted By: pepop

Re: Fly Fish for Crappie? - 06/27/15 08:44 PM

Fly fishing for crappie other than Spring when they are cruising the banks would be pretty tough, as far as fly patterns, any productive crappie jig pattern could be tied on a plain hook & I guess it could be delivered deep enough on a weighted "sinking" fly line, but still it'd be difficult if the fish were holding much deeper than 8-10 feet. That's my 2cents anyway.
Posted By: dropngobble

Re: Fly Fish for Crappie? - 06/27/15 09:10 PM

Thank you for the input I appreciate the help. I do have some fast sinking fly line that can get me down to about 20 feet deep...will that help? I have only ever caught crappie under a bobber when I was a kid so I'm not sure if stripping with a fly pole would even work...but I figured I would ask.

These might be some silly questions, but I live in Nevada and will be visiting San Antonio from 6/30 thru the 6th of July. My brother wants to take me fishing and I much prefer to fly fish VS use a spinning rod, but will if I must. All I catch here in Nevada is trout.

Again thanks for the tips...I look forward to experiencing fly fishing in Texas.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Fly Fish for Crappie? - 06/27/15 10:31 PM

They'll eat a clouser minnow if you can get it in front of them.
Posted By: Fish Chaser

Re: Fly Fish for Crappie? - 06/28/15 02:28 AM

They also love woolly buggers.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Fly Fish for Crappie? - 06/28/15 03:26 AM

I bet if you went out at night and dropped a big green light off the boat by some bridge pilings that might be good. A lot of the minnows attracted to the light are small fry and a wet fly would mimmick them well.

I've used my fly rod with small jigs around the green light. It's a lot of fun especially when you get a largemouth or striper to take small jig or fly.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum