Texas Fishing Forum

How do you get surface Crappies to bite?

Posted By: WillCFish on the tube

How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/16/15 01:15 PM

How do you catch surface feeding Crappies?
Many times I have been frustrated by surface feeding crappies.
What is the solution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGi09CoEDAA
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/16/15 02:08 PM

Cast a Frog, problem solved.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/16/15 05:47 PM

1/32 or 1/48 jighead slow reeled right under the surface.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/16/15 06:13 PM

I've never seen anything like that before. It appears they are feeding on insects? I think the important thing is to find out what they're feeding on, but my guess would be something very light or weightless like a small fly.
Posted By: 79scooter

Re: How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/16/15 11:00 PM

I have had this experience, and I was able to get some to eat free lined minnows.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/17/15 01:05 AM

I'd try the smallest suspending Rapala. Smallest bait you can throw that will not sink. Free line minnows would be good.
Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Re: How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/17/15 04:11 PM

...very small cork and light jig. Fished like that many times in Michigan and Wisconsin. Crappie actually came to the surface for the mayfly hatch.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/17/15 05:02 PM

I catch several swimming a small jig through em when they're shallow. Caught several last week suspended 4-6' deep near structure.
Posted By: TarponFly

Re: How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/18/15 05:05 PM

1: you say they r nice sized crappie? How big? In the vid they look under 10 inches.

2: if they are Gamefish, I guarantee you they are feeding on the plankton ball. Probably a small swarm of some kind of baby fish the size of a pinhead. I see baby bass and Sandy's do the same thing on the main lake.

These little brown things above in the pictures, our baby threadfin shad that hatched two days prior. Every year they do that on the main lake. Around this time. I've seen 15 to 20 pound catfish gorging themselves on these plankton balls. In your video I don't see very much insect life on the surface. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/18/15 05:39 PM

I saw this happening on Tawakoni 3 weeks ago. I could have had a field day with a just a trebel hook.
Posted By: GhostRider32

Re: How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/19/15 12:30 PM

How do you know it's crappie and not perch or something else? I can't tell.
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/19/15 05:09 PM

I have seen them eating mayflies at Ute lake, fly rod and mayflies worked.
Posted By: Jeff_W

Re: How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/19/15 08:30 PM

I see them doing this on a private pond in east texas. they were eating the little black bugs that float on thr surface. we just used a small black rooster tail and cleaned up on them
Posted By: sac-a-lait me

Re: How do you get surface Crappies to bite? - 06/24/15 02:56 PM

Beetlespin will get em crank it up by the surface. I've only seen it on small lakes but it looked like a school of bluegill so I threw a bettlespin caught a few nice crappie until they went back under
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum