Texas Fishing Forum

whole spring fishing year has been [censored]

Posted By: scruboak

whole spring fishing year has been [censored] - 06/12/15 08:29 AM

We got on the crappie then 24 days of straight rain and muddy water now. To top it off water is now 90 degrees and lake is turning smells like dead fish everywhere with none seen.
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: whole spring fishing year has been [censored] - 06/12/15 10:52 AM

I feel your pain. I normally fish Lewisville and it is so high/muddy and no ramps are open.

Good thing is that it has forced me to go try other lakes. Enjoying that aspect.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: whole spring fishing year has been [censored] - 06/12/15 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueNitro
I feel your pain. I normally fish Lewisville and it is so high/muddy and no ramps are open.

Good thing is that it has forced me to go try other lakes. Enjoying that aspect.

thumb

The crappie are still acting funny here on Fork, very catchable, but not the same as last year!
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: whole spring fishing year has been [censored] - 06/12/15 01:09 PM

Wish we coulda split the rain... Prolly been about right fer both of us.
Posted By: chickenman

Re: whole spring fishing year has been [censored] - 06/12/15 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: scruboak
We got on the crappie then 24 days of straight rain and muddy water now. To top it off water is now 90 degrees and lake is turning smells like dead fish everywhere with none seen.

You fishing Brownwood?
Posted By: Bad Boy

Re: whole spring fishing year has been [censored] - 06/12/15 02:12 PM

Went to Richland Chambers Reservoir yesterday. Water was at least 3 ft higher than normal. Gates on dam was open and crappie bite has been slow. I caught these in the dead tree tops in 30ft of water in about 4 hours of fishing. Slow bite and takes lots of patience.

A bad day fishing beats an uneventful day at home or work.
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: whole spring fishing year has been [censored] - 06/12/15 03:09 PM

Sure was different. All I know are these things...

Fishing was very different!
I didn't get to fish near enough!
Lake has been full longer that I can remember it being like this!
Flood gates have been open more that I ever remember and open wider than normal. Heck it had been 6 years since they had opened at all.
I do know the fish finally started acting normal just a couple days before they opened the gates the first time.
Once they opened them the catch went from good to almost none for a while. Then catching was very different in more ways that you may think!
Yes I put some crappie filets in the freezer and probably enough, but nothing like normal because I usually give a load of fish away.
This lake is still above full pool and generators running 24/7, but they finally closed the gates which I am sure the people down South are appreciative of!
Normally they will not let it get to full pool until May, however this year the rains just overruled them and it's been full pool or higher since at least March, LOL!

Anyway that is what I know!

Skip
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: whole spring fishing year has been [censored] - 06/12/15 03:59 PM

It's been a tough year for fishing. I lost Texoma, which is my best lake for crappie and now every lake is flooded. Possum Kingdom is brown instead of the normally clear water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum