Texas Fishing Forum

A different approach

Posted By: BCJC82

A different approach - 06/01/15 10:21 PM

Had a good day on fork today caught about 13 keepers. I am also big in the aquarium hobby have been for a long time. When I moved up here by fork from south of Houston my pet crappie that I had for over 4 years didn't make it. His name was Carl I caught him out of a small pond at about 8 inches long and he was 12 inches when he died. I finally got a few fish to survive from catch to livewell to home and I started the ole tank back up. picture below. It is a work in progress. I put these fish in here to see which would be most likely to survive and which I would be eating. Looks like they are all doing well.

Posted By: angler management

Re: A different approach - 06/01/15 10:35 PM

One of my best friends had pet crappie growing up. He always put a couple dozen minnows in the tank every week, but the fish would never eat unless it was dark. When we would go hang out he'd turn off the lights and close the binds and turn on the tanks black light and it would be on. He used to complain about them waking him up at 3am, though.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: A different approach - 06/01/15 10:48 PM

Very nice!
I had 1 set up many years ago with fish out Lake Cypress Springs in it. My girls even caught some baby blue fin grinnels and had them in it.
Posted By: jp24

Re: A different approach - 06/02/15 12:06 AM

Very cool.
Posted By: SlabHappy

Re: A different approach - 06/02/15 01:19 AM

I set my tank up, and went down to a hatchery and bought 10 crappie, about 3" long, 10 coppernose bluegills and 10 African tilapia. Had them for awhile, but couldn't get the crappie to take pellets, so I put them in Joe Pool. Plan on setting up my tank, once we get moved into the house we are currently building. Don't know what kind of fish I want to go with. Either African cichlids, South Americans, or lake fish. What size is that tank? Looks the size of mine, 125 g.
Posted By: Thump My Jig

Re: A different approach - 06/02/15 01:40 AM

Need to put a brush pile in there! And if the lake levels don't go down soon, I might need address of tank! roflmao

Re: A different approach - 06/02/15 02:26 AM

Yea it is a 125. It has been a while since i have had that tank set up for crappie so the drift wood has all dried out and has to soak up water to sink again. I had a nice brush pile it it before that my one crappie really enjoyed. I even had a jig that I broke the point of the hook off of and I would drop jigs in the tank before going fishing to see what color combo I should use for the day. He was really aggressive so he would hit anything immediately including me. Would go through 60 medium comet goldfish a week. Luckily I can now just dump my extra minnows in there.

Re: A different approach - 06/02/15 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Thump My Jig
Need to put a brush pile in there! And if the lake levels don't go down soon, I might need address of tank! roflmao

These are now for looking not for eating.
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: A different approach - 06/02/15 04:57 AM

I had a setup like yours but not so big. It was cool to watch GG feed on minnows, shad, and anything else I put in there.

I had saved mine from a tank that was drying up the summer of 2012. Had her till we had a 18 hour power outage in August 2014 and she was 15" at that point. I put pecan brush in the aquarium and with high pressure she would be under the brush and low pressure she would be on top of it. She gave them Shad hell!

Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: A different approach - 06/02/15 01:22 PM

Should be able to learn some basic characteristics about Crappie by watching em. hmmm Nice set up. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum