Texas Fishing Forum

Any tips on Stillhouse or Belton Crappie?

Posted By: icecreamdude

Any tips on Stillhouse or Belton Crappie? - 05/26/15 08:18 PM

Hello everyone, the family and I are relocating to the Killeen area from the Sam Rayburn area. I just would like to get some info, tips, tricks, or anything else on the crappie in Belton and Stillhouse. We have never had a hook in either lake so anything at all would be helpful.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Any tips on Stillhouse or Belton Crappie? - 05/26/15 09:40 PM

welcome to Central TX.
You won't find fishing on these two lakes any thing like Rayburn; not near as good here. For crappie on either lake, concentrate on the upper 1/3 of the lake. And even though both lakes are deep lakes, you'll find crappie in 15ft or less from spring till about mid Oct. Then they head to deep water and become hard to locate. In winter, night fishing pays off better than day time. As with most lakes, standing timber and brush piles are good places to be fishing. Good luck and good fishing.
Posted By: Lucas Loafman

Re: Any tips on Stillhouse or Belton Crappie? - 05/27/15 03:29 AM

Ken's advice is sound. Honestly, I fish Stillhouse at night in the winter and Belton March-October in the day. Stillhouse fish are tough to come by in good numbers and size May-October.
Posted By: Ruffneck2000

Re: Any tips on Stillhouse or Belton Crappie? - 05/27/15 07:32 PM

I fish both lakes often, Lake Granger has me spoiled now so when I fish Belton or Stillhouse I have to remember how the fish move often in these Lakes. Belton is a good size lake and its easy to run a tank out your boat getting to your honey hole if you dont put in close to them. During the spawn you can kill them but now as Ken's comment 15FOW is the best bet.
Posted By: NightStalker79

Re: Any tips on Stillhouse or Belton Crappie? - 05/28/15 03:14 AM

There are a couple of coves with flooded timber at Stillhouse that will produce crappie, as mentioned 15 fow seems to be the magic depth. Not a really good crappie lake. Stillhouse is known as a black bass lake, both largemouth and smallmouth. PS Stillhouse is now just 2 feet from conservation pool. Been a long time coming.
Posted By: icecreamdude

Re: Any tips on Stillhouse or Belton Crappie? - 05/28/15 05:10 PM

Thanks for the info guys. The family and I are headed out there Tuesday and hope to wet a hook that afternoon. Not expecting much with all the new water but you never know. Right now we just want to get on the water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum