Texas Fishing Forum

5/11 and 5/13

Posted By: Esnow74

5/11 and 5/13 - 05/15/15 02:08 AM

On Monday I hit a dock and a stick up both in 10 FOW right after rain. Monday was 15-20 with most being keepers around 11-12 inches. They were all caught flipping to the dock or stick and letting if fall. All on Thunp Buddy old faithful on a 1/16 round unpainted head.

Yesterday 5/13 I went to the opposite end of the lake right after the storms cleared. I hit 8 different docks and 6 of them were holding fish. The docks were in anywhere from 4FOW to 12 FOW. Same jig and presentation as Monday but caught twice as many fish. The problem was that only 5 were keepers and barely at that all other fish were 9-9.5 inches. Being relatively new to the crappie it seems the dock bite stops right at sunset, do they move out to open water as darkness sets in?
Same lake as last posts.
Posted By: Laner

Re: 5/11 and 5/13 - 05/15/15 02:12 AM

That's a good question about dock fishing. I like to hit docks while the sun is still bright and shiny, so that the fish are isolated underneath the structure. When the sun goes down, the shade goes away, and the fish are free to roam.

How are you liking that dock shooting by the way? Talk about a fun way to catch a few crappie.

Re: 5/11 and 5/13 - 05/15/15 02:22 AM

I wouldn't technically call it dock shooting since there is so little space between the water and the dock. I'm lucky if I can get one foot under the dock so most is pitching around it and finding the right on the edges. When I can get under the docks I typically find better fish. Even being low to the water in my 2 man it's an awfully small space to shoot into but maybe with a shorter rod and more practice I can get under there more. I'm having a blast around them and the ONLY bait they will hit is the Thump Buddy Old Faithful.
Posted By: Jacob

Re: 5/11 and 5/13 - 05/15/15 02:23 AM

I've found that most dock crappie are small to average sized black crappie.

Re: 5/11 and 5/13 - 05/15/15 02:27 AM

These are predominantly white crappie and yesterday small but Monday had quite a few good ones. About a week or so ago I found several good crappie and one whale. Either way it's been fun and pretty steady action.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum