Texas Fishing Forum

Grapevine.... Really

Posted By: Guide Benny Dabney

Grapevine.... Really - 05/08/15 11:15 PM

I thought wouldn't fill up this year but now she is full and Denton creek and Oliver creek near my house in Justin are way up and ripping. She will be over full pool soon and not sure when it will stop filling. Maybe 4' or more to come and if it doesn't stop, even more..
I wish I could share this water with my OLD BUD Larry at Bridgeport. Does look like he will get some good water out of it.
I'm very exited at what will come from our good fortune and sorry for all the folks just west of me that lost there homes from twisters last night.
God Bless
Posted By: ou.sooner

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/09/15 12:37 AM

Wonder how bad the debris is. There was quite a bit after the last big weather rolled through.
Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/09/15 12:50 AM

Yeah, i'm thinking it will be while before Grapevine settles down. Like a month from now.
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/09/15 01:04 AM

was there 2 times today and its up to normal but not muddy at all.i thought it would be mud but nope! but crappie still not biting..i think the spawn is over and they moved out deep!
Posted By: crope1

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/09/15 03:22 AM

praying for those that lost their homes.

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/09/15 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: ou.sooner
Wonder how bad the debris is. There was quite a bit logs and junk after the last big weather rolled through.
I didn't see much trash flowing in the creek like the last rain but it is way up and muddy. The creek is out of its banks at my buddies house flooding and trapping his cattle in his fields.

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/09/15 11:44 AM

Finally hit 100%. I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever see this again.

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/10/15 02:34 AM

http://www.weather.com/news/weather/video/flood-rips-guardrail-apart-in-justin-texas
This is a creek (oliver creek) behind my housr In Drop that runs into denton creek. This is the smaller of the two and is headed to Grapevine.

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/10/15 02:47 AM

This is also hours after the water level dropped. I think it was 5 to 6 foot higher than when this video was taken. We could not even get close enough to see it from other side of bridge because the water level covered the road almost a half mile up the road.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/10/15 02:57 AM

That road will be closed for a while.

Looks like a big hole right in the middle.

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/10/15 03:11 AM

This place is called The Drop Slab. It was washed out on each end a few years back and the removed the slab and replaced it with this thing and it took them over 2 years to fix it. Engineers said it would never have water go over this type of bridge again and all the locals that talked to them said, BS.... We have seen this creek much much higher in the early 80's. Goes to show you what can happen when mother nature speaks. This was just a whisper from her this time.

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/10/15 03:35 AM

Never say never to Mother Nature.
Posted By: MrRoachie

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/10/15 04:03 AM

Go find them "engineers" and ask them what happened.

Me personally. .. Most engineers are educated idiots!
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/10/15 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: MrRoachie

Be more respectful of your betters. If it were not for engineers we would not have all the reservoirs where we fish or any of the other aspects of modern life. One mistake in designing a bridge does not make the engineer in question an idiot.
Posted By: Jon

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/10/15 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Smithaven
Originally Posted By: MrRoachie

Be more respectful of your betters. If it were not for engineers we would not have all the reservoirs where we fish or any of the other aspects of modern life. One mistake in designing a bridge does not make the engineer in question an idiot.

I'll let Mr. Roachie and not you decide if they are his "betters" or not and whether they deserve his respect Thank you very much.

As to whether the one in question is an idiot or not would depend on if he learned anything from this mistake or continued to ignore people who had seen things with their own eyes that did not match what his educated calculations told him.
Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/10/15 05:21 PM

Sorry, fellas, Smithhaven's got it right. Last time I checked, Engineers helped push society forward and directly benefit mankind with everything from turning on the lights, to hopping a plane to visit your Mother or take a business trip.

Blanket criticism / critics contribute squat.
Posted By: Jon

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/10/15 07:41 PM

Scott, of course you and Smithaven are correct about engineers advancing our society and benefitting mankind.
As a group, they have contributed many great things that we enjoy and use on a daily basis.
I don't think those were the ones Mr. Rochie had in mind but he can answer that.

I'll speak for myself in saying that just like all IRS agents are not pricks, all engineers are not idiots.
In fact, most engineers are not idiots. It's just the ones who are that tend to stand out.

There are some who definitely raise questions as to their level of intelligence. Especially the ones who believe that their college degree makes their logic and ideas infallible tend to leave a bad impression. These are often the same ones who refuse to listen to someone who is beneath him that would dare to suggest to one of his "betters" that there might be a problem, or even when told that there will be a problem. Or God forbid, just a better way to do something.

I do believe as a whole though, we are actually much better off for having engineers. And would be even better off if they could be taught in engineering school that it is possible someday that they may actually be able to avoid a mistake if they would keep an open mind and actually hear someone else occasionally. Especially the guys who have been building the stuff they design (and helping solve their design flaws) for more years than they have been alive.
Posted By: rockhopper

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/11/15 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Guide Benny Dabney
I wish I could share this water with my OLD BUD Larry at Bridgeport.
God Bless

I knew that "old Fart" stuff would come back around soon enough. Well for those who don't know- Benny IS older than me. Glad your lake caught some water buddy.
Posted By: AggieKenny

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/11/15 08:59 PM

Grapevine is not only caught up, but well over pool. I stopped today to check out my slip, I have some pictures I'll post later, but it's probably six feet over right now, and they are preparing for another five foot rise.
Posted By: Rhaider

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/11/15 11:36 PM

Went out to do a little kayak fishing today and was thankful I didn't try and take the boat. The water was all the way up in the parking lots of Lakeview Park. I've never seen the water like this!

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/12/15 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Rhaider
Went out to do a little kayak fishing today and was thankful I didn't try and take the boat. The water was all the way up in the parking lots of Lakeview Park. I've never seen the water like this!
I just went over denton creek outside of Decatur and the creek is over many roads like county line just south of 380 and over 2449 closing them to all traffic. They claim 5 more foot rise but from what I just saw at 6:30 pm 5/11 its going to be more than that. 13 foot low to over 13 foot high before it settles. Who would have thunk it. WOW
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/12/15 12:28 AM

Grapevine rose from 520 to 562 in 1981,most of it coming in 48hrs. I have seen the water up to the bathrooms at Katie Woods.
We lost the fishing barge behind Silverlake then also. Nothing surprises me when it comes to Mother Nature.
Posted By: wetduck

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/12/15 12:39 AM

no one trusts a knucklehead to make a multi million dollar mistake, just sayin
Posted By: stucdan

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/12/15 03:35 AM

At what levels will the close Katie's woods high ramp?
Posted By: Rhaider

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/12/15 03:48 AM

All this and the forecast is nothing but water! Its cliche, but when it rains it pours! Overall I am really thankful for the water, and the timing wasn't too bad either. It was the tail end of the spawn for bass and crappie, so their fry should have plenty of new flooded cover to hide and grow up in. Maybe we will see better fish populations out of all this!
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/14/15 03:18 AM

She's at 9 feet high and rising. Benny, you might be right about 13 feet when it's said and done....

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/14/15 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Stucky76
She's at 9 feet high and rising. Benny, you might be right about 13 feet when it's said and done....
Denton Creek at my house is still almost out of its banks so maybe so on the 13 ft. I wish it wasn't running so hard but it is what it is...

Re: Grapevine.... Really - 05/14/15 06:22 AM

I seen that they opened flood gates on the vine today. Maybe she won't come up near as much now. Cross your fingers.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum