Texas Fishing Forum

Where did you crappie guys mount your antenna?

Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Where did you crappie guys mount your antenna? - 05/07/15 02:46 AM

For you guys that do a lot of brush pile and submerged timber fishing:
Where do you have your external antenna mounted?
Working on re-installing my electronics on new-to-me boat. HDS8 w/ LSS-2 on the console. HDS7 on bow w/ out LSS. Thinking Maybe I will use the internal antenna on the bow unit, because I usually like to be right on top of the structure I'm fishing. So if my external antenna on the console is just for that unit, where should I mount it? Right beside unit, or near the transom transducer? Thoughts?
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Where did you crappie guys mount your antenna? - 05/07/15 03:03 AM

Your correct on the bow unit.

I run Birds, I have my console unit and its external antenna mounted on the console. It works out as I approach the waypoint and when the cover starts showing up on the screen, I toss a marker out the back, right above transducer and it will land right on (even small) target 95% of the time.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Where did you crappie guys mount your antenna? - 05/07/15 03:14 AM

Midship position
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Where did you crappie guys mount your antenna? - 05/07/15 03:45 AM

I was told to mount mine as close to the transducer as possible. Mine is mounted directly above the rear transducer.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Where did you crappie guys mount your antenna? - 05/07/15 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla
Your correct on the bow unit.

I run Birds, I have my console unit and its external antenna mounted on the console. It works out as I approach the waypoint and when the cover starts showing up on the screen, I toss a marker out the back, right above transducer and it will land right on (even small) target 95% of the time.

Ditto^^^^
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Where did you crappie guys mount your antenna? - 05/07/15 09:32 AM

Right above my transducer. I made a mount out of plexiglass. Used a heat gun to heat it and bend it as necessary to fit.
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: Where did you crappie guys mount your antenna? - 05/07/15 11:13 AM

Slab - I mounted mine near the console, and networked both displays. That way I can take advantage of the fast update when moving around, then if I want to use the internal antenna at the bow just switch to internal antenna (stop networking) only at the bow. Works well so far for me.
Posted By: Duck_Jerky

Re: Where did you crappie guys mount your antenna? - 05/07/15 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: SLABXPRESS
Working on re-installing my electronics on new-to-me boat. HDS8 w/ LSS-2 on the console. HDS7 on bow w/ out LSS. Thinking Maybe I will use the internal antenna on the bow unit, because I usually like to be right on top of the structure I'm fishing. So if my external antenna on the console is just for that unit, where should I mount it? Right beside unit, or near the transom transducer? Thoughts?

Just a question, but why are you mounting an external antenna for an HDS8 unit. The GPS antenna is built into the unit...no need for an external antenna. I run the same unit with no external antenna.
Posted By: UJC

Re: Where did you crappie guys mount your antenna? - 05/07/15 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Jerky
Originally Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Just a question, but why are you mounting an external antenna for an HDS8 unit. The GPS antenna is built into the unit...no need for an external antenna. I run the same unit with no external antenna.

Because the external GPS will update 10 times faster with Gen 2 and 5 times with Gen 1 vs. the Internal GPS. I have Gen 1 and it makes a huge difference of getting right on the BP/Structure and boat trails. In fact, after installation, I had to re-learn how to follow a trail because before the Point-1, I compensated for the 'lag'. The Point-1 also allowed for me to follow my trails at a faster speed through Fork timber previously marked. With the previous lag, I didn't feel comfortable at faster speeds. None of this would be necessary if Low or HB had used modern chips.
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Where did you crappie guys mount your antenna? - 05/07/15 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Jerky

He probably is mounting a Point1 antenna.

I'm running an Onyx8 on the bow with an internal antenna. I have an Onyx10 on the console, also with an internal, but the update rate on both is 1 second (which is fine for the 8 on the bow), but I've ordered the H'bird equilivant to the Point1 (forget the name) for the console to get quicker responce time. I will be mounting that antenna about two foot from the stern on the transducer side. Better pinpointing of structure.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum