Texas Fishing Forum

Lake 'O' the Pines Update

Posted By: Tommie

Lake 'O' the Pines Update - 04/30/15 11:13 PM

Went to Pines this morning for a little crappie fishing adventure. Started out fishing shallow to see if we could find any spawning fish. Fished for 2 hours in shallow water and only managed one bream, one ditch pickle and one gar. Started moving back out deeper and found a bunch of small fish on the bridge that is under water in Alley Creek. Caught a bunch of 7" to 9" crappie and never a keeper. Moved out into the timber and caught our first quality fish in 25' of water. Started hitting some brush piles in 20' to 25' of water and ended up with 18 quality crappie. My wife caught the big fish of the day on a "large" minnow in 20' of water on a brush pile. It was 15 1/2" long and weighed 2 pounds. Most were caught on my 1/8 oz., hand ties in the Electric Chicken color and Halo Magic.

A lot of the large females still had small amounts of eggs in them. It looks to me like the spawn is all but over on Pines. The lake is till 3 1/2' over full and they are letting water out like crazy. KYKX Big Bass Bonanza is this weekend. We wanted to try the crappie before all the bass chasers started churning up the water. It was a beautiful day to be on the lake.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Lake 'O' the Pines Update - 04/30/15 11:34 PM

Good report Tommy. The wife and I were going to be there today and tomorrow but an illness changed our plans. I would have done just like you and started shallow. Looks like yall smacked em good.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Lake 'O' the Pines Update - 05/01/15 03:52 AM

very nice slab right there!
Posted By: Matthew Carroll

Re: Lake 'O' the Pines Update - 05/01/15 09:16 AM

SWEET!
Doesn't surprise me Candra had big fish.
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Lake 'O' the Pines Update - 05/01/15 01:19 PM

NICE JOB TOMMIE GOOD REPORT.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Lake 'O' the Pines Update - 05/01/15 02:55 PM

Nice job on locating them Tommie thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum