Texas Fishing Forum

Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump

Posted By: LEFTOUT

Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/27/15 10:46 PM

For the first time in five years water is being released from Lavon Lake.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, who is the owner and operator of the lake, said recent rain events filled the lake above the normal conservation pool, into the flood pool, on Saturday, April 25 by nearly a foot, bringing the water level to 492 feet mean sea level

Well it would be terrible if we save a little water for summer. Just sayin.
Posted By: Bud B

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/27/15 10:55 PM

Yeah, it seems funny to see all this water being released at Cedar Creek too, after all that low water. And all the creeks around here are rocking and rolling again.
Posted By: HTDUCK

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/27/15 10:56 PM

Military intelligence. mad
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/27/15 11:51 PM

I thought the same. Why not keep it at least a foot above pool. I mean it's not hurting anything or anyone.
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/27/15 11:55 PM

The foot belongs to The City of Dallas.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/28/15 12:12 AM

They have to release it, we get another big rain and it could cause all kinds of flooding.
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/28/15 12:20 AM

Heck Grapevine has had its Conservation pool lowered 3 times, from 540 to 538 to 535. The last time was to let Southlake have Trophy Club Park and connect to Bob Jones Horse Park. They complain about not having water but they can ride their horses were the lake once was.
Posted By: happycampr

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/28/15 12:30 AM

Not like it's going to waste, it's getting sent right down to Hubbard... now once Hubbard is full that is a different story, I think they should be able to save into the flood pool a bit. It would take a heck of a rain to fill 11 feet to the top of the dam.
Posted By: justchillin

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/28/15 12:32 AM

They have laws and regulations they have to follow just like anyone else. It stinks that they cant let it stay a little above full pool , but it is what it is. Betcha the flood gate employee is glad to be back at work though !!
Posted By: Crappie 0914

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/28/15 02:45 AM

I usually never post any comments but couldnt let this one get by. I have fished this lake for years it is my favorite crappie lake. I admit that i get a few cold ones down and do that Indian rain dance, yall know the dance , cuz you have done it too. If the water in this lake gets too high they will close the boat ramp and parks again. When the water flows the fishing can really get good cuz them fish like moving water, so calm down my fishing brother's because the rain gods have been good to us.
Posted By: Gmann

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/28/15 01:36 PM

First and foremost, Lavon is a flood control lake. They do not "owe" water to Hubbard. The COE will only release water downstream if the conditions can handle the inflow. Since Hubbard is still below pool, and Lavon is over, they are going to release water to "control" the flooding.

The gates were opened yesterday afternoon and the lake still rose another 4-6 inches. For the past several years, Lavon has not been drained to fill Hubbard.
Posted By: BigDave1

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/28/15 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Gmann
First and foremost, Lavon is a flood control lake. They do not "owe" water to Hubbard. The COE will only release water downstream if the conditions can handle the inflow. Since Hubbard is still below pool, and Lavon is over, they are going to release water to "control" the flooding.

The gates were opened yesterday afternoon and the lake still rose another 4-6 inches. For the past several years, Lavon has not been drained to fill Hubbard.

Tru Dat! Water over the flood pool is not owned by Dallas BUT is controlled by COE as their main thing in life is flood control! Since Hubbard is below pool level the COE is gonna let the water go as it has a safe place to go now.

I have seen in years past, water held in Lavon for awhile because Hubbard was full and the Trinity was also flooding. Also, the dam was constructed/engineered with a pool level of 492. Anything over 492 pool level exerts great forces on the dam. Yes it is built for some short term ability to hold above pool water but not on a permanent basis.
Posted By: LEFTOUT

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/28/15 10:38 PM

I know been through this before water over pool belongs to down stream, except when they have to much, just think a few inches wouldn't hurt just glad it's full. Cedar Creek can't hold extra no flood plain, one inch over and gates open. As for moving water my lucks not that way seems Crappie get lock jaw when lake is dumping. With this fast rise they probably don't know what to do anyway. Luck to all and stay safe.
Posted By: I Got Worms

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/29/15 02:21 AM

Bring it on we need it in hubbard! + can't wait to go bank fish the dam hope the gates are still open tomorrow
Posted By: Hooky_Looky

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/29/15 02:31 AM

anybody go out?
Posted By: fshngaddict

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/29/15 03:45 AM

Stopped by for a look about 20 anglers but not much catching all I saw being caught was small drum
Posted By: Ryno

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/29/15 02:37 PM

This makes me miss my lakes back in Minnesota that much more. No one releases water because it apparently belongs to someone else. Ridiculous. It will be August and folks will be wondering what happened to the surplus of water that area lakes are currently holding.
Posted By: Bud B

Re: Hummmm there she blows!!!! Lavon dump - 04/30/15 12:58 AM

I noticed two flood warnings this morning, the Trinity River at Trinidad and Chambers Creek at Rice. I had dinner in Malakoff, so I drove over to the Trinity afterwards to check it out. It's pretty impressive right now. I also crossed the Cedar Creek spillway. There was water being released, but not as much as I would have thought, with the lake almost six inches high. I notice that Bardwell is almost five feet, but they're releasing zero water. I guess that's because of the Trinity flooding. Richland-Chambers is only a little more than four feet low now, and with that Chambers Creek flooding, I would think it may get close to full before it's all over.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum