Texas Fishing Forum

Bait question

Posted By: DaggerDoc1

Bait question - 04/16/15 03:14 PM

So after the addition of some green LED strips to the boat I started using them to catch minnows for bait. The minnows I've been catching are very rowdy lil critters, near translucent and seem to stay alive very well on the hook. I've been told they are ghost minnows. Any thoughts on how these stack up to the minnows bought at the bait store as far as effectiveness and maybe what they are?
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: Bait question - 04/16/15 03:42 PM

Not exactly sure what kind of minnow they are, but if you catch them under the light you are fishing, they will be THE SAME MINNOW that the fish under the light are searching for.

I would sure use them. wink
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Bait question - 04/16/15 05:10 PM

As good as it gets,,,, Well maybe shad!

Re: Bait question - 04/16/15 05:17 PM

That's what I was thinking feed em what they are foraging on just making sure.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Bait question - 04/16/15 05:54 PM

I use this method plenty. I have an 8 y/o that loves to catch bait. He uses a long butterfly net and scoops 'em up fresh for us.
Posted By: And Mye

Re: Bait question - 04/16/15 06:17 PM

Bet they're silversides (aka glass minnows, ghost minnows etc) and they do work for lots of gamefish.
Posted By: jpenwell

Re: Bait question - 04/16/15 07:25 PM

Cant get any more "match the hatch " than that.

Re: Bait question - 04/16/15 07:30 PM

I agree there jpenwell now if I can just get the fish to cooperate lol. Something was coming up and silently slaughtering the little guys though just at the edge of my green light coverage area but I never could get anything to go for my bait. Of course as rowdy as it was the other fish probably thought he was just having a temper tantrum and they should just give him some space. roflmao
Posted By: MexRedneck

Re: Bait question - 04/17/15 01:34 AM

We used to catch the ghost minnows under the lights at Lake Tawakoni and cut them in half for bait. They were great for catching big sandies at night under the bridges. We caught more sandies with ghost minnows than with shad or store bought minnows.
Posted By: jpenwell

Re: Bait question - 04/17/15 01:56 AM

You might try tipping a small jig or roadrunner with that minnow and seeing if the bigger profile gets their attention better. good luck.
Originally Posted By: DaggerDoc1
I agree there jpenwell now if I can just get the fish to cooperate lol. Something was coming up and silently slaughtering the little guys though just at the edge of my green light coverage area but I never could get anything to go for my bait. Of course as rowdy as it was the other fish probably thought he was just having a temper tantrum and they should just give him some space. roflmao

Re: Bait question - 04/17/15 01:59 AM

Thank you for the info gentlemen I will def put it to use. Gonna try and hit em again tomorrow night so if your on Ray roberts and see some green glowing boat come on over and see how things are going.
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: Bait question - 04/17/15 04:46 PM

Only thing I would add is if you can find someone selling Rosey Red Minnows, they are better than shiners you buy. I can't really compare them to what your using, but the Rosey's live longer and are tougher than shiners.

Skip

Re: Bait question - 04/18/15 02:31 PM

Thanks skip I'll keep my eye out for some.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum