Texas Fishing Forum

Cedar Creek - 4/15/15

Posted By: Bud B

Cedar Creek - 4/15/15 - 04/16/15 01:24 AM

I got out on the lake for a few hours this afternoon. I was on the water shortly before 1:00 and fished until almost 6:30. It was a truly beautiful day, sunny with light winds all afternoon. The water temp was 70 degrees where I was.

It was one of those days that didn't start well. After two and a half hours of fishing, I had only caught 2 crappie. But I eventually found some biting ones, and in spite of that slow start, got my second limit from Cedar Creek this year, with 26 keepers.

The fish were caught on brush and concrete, 8 to 12 feet deep, in 9 to 20 feet of water. A key was the fact that those fish in the deeper water were 12 feet deep, and not the 14 feet deep where I had found them last time. I took me a while to figure that out.

They all bit my homemade plastic shad on a 3/32 oz jig. The best color today was dark gray shad. I caught one really nice white crappie, and all the rest were black crappie. Most of the fish were solid keepers, though I did get a few smaller ones than I've been catching, and even got 3 that weren't keepers. All fish were released. I only fished one shallow spot today, and didn't catch anything.

Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/15/15 - 04/16/15 01:37 AM

Nice work. Looks like you have them figured out. thumb
Posted By: Gonzz

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/15/15 - 04/16/15 01:50 AM

where is the best place to launch?
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/15/15 - 04/16/15 02:48 AM

Great catch. Did any have eggs or had they already done their duty?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/15/15 - 04/16/15 03:37 AM

Good report with a solid fish! Good job. thumb
Posted By: Bud B

Re: Cedar Creek - 4/15/15 - 04/16/15 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Gonzz
where is the best place to launch?

The lake is full, all the ramps are working, so it depends on what part of the lake you want to fish. Log Cabin or the Caney City public ramp work for the lower lake. The 334 ramp works for further up the lake.

Originally Posted By: bush hog
Great catch. Did any have eggs or had they already done their duty?

I released everything and didn't clean anything, so I really don't know. Only a couple had good male spawning colors.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum