Texas Fishing Forum

do you like Braid

Posted By: hawghoover

do you like Braid - 04/15/15 08:03 PM

line for Crappie fishing? what test and why?
Posted By: Ranger7

Re: do you like Braid - 04/15/15 08:08 PM

I user 6lbs high vis yellow mono line. Why? It's cheaper LOL. Pulled out 20lbs buffalo on it last week LOL
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: do you like Braid - 04/15/15 08:18 PM

I prefer mono. I can feel it better and I like to be able to bounce out of a deep pile.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: do you like Braid - 04/15/15 09:00 PM

Nope! Siege suffix clear mono... 6 or 8 lb
Posted By: bayoubob

Re: do you like Braid - 04/15/15 09:40 PM

Fireline Crystal. 2 or 4 lb. It gives me the sensitivity to feel fish you wont feel on mono. can cast much further and will feel everything as the jig cruises along. Its just my opinion.
Posted By: Mo

Re: do you like Braid - 04/15/15 09:57 PM

I use braid for fishing deeper than 12 ft. Bridges , timber and brushpiles.

For me , the " feel " disappears at a certain depth with mono.

Spring mono and light jigs = no sensitivity,

Mono for shallow water and dock shooting.

good luck

Mo
Posted By: clay83

Re: do you like Braid - 04/15/15 11:38 PM

Of the 8 rods I fish all but 2 have braid on them. I keep 1 short rod with 8 lb mono to shoot docks and 1 long pole with 8 lb sufix siege to fish brush piles that are not to deep or thick. I like to fish down in the brush and I have pulled many big fish out of brush after they wrap up that I would have lost if I was using mono. In the end it all comes down to preference and what you are confident in.

Clay
Posted By: texboxer

Re: do you like Braid - 04/15/15 11:57 PM

BoneHead hi vis braid on all my jigging poles. Whether I'm fishing deep or shallow. And I don't use a leader. I tie directly to the jig.
Posted By: tundra rich

Re: do you like Braid - 04/16/15 12:05 AM

yep, 10 lb. test 2 lb. diameter, reason being, mono gets scuffed up on just about everything a crappie likes. (Stumps, Brush, bridges, mouth of crappie)
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: do you like Braid - 04/16/15 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: texboxer
BoneHead hi vis braid on all my jigging poles. Whether I'm fishing deep or shallow. And I don't use a leader. I tie directly to the jig.
+1
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: do you like Braid - 04/16/15 03:52 AM

All but 2 of my reels have braid on them except 2 that have Mono. thos 2 stay in the garage every trip. I prefer PowerPro Hi-viz yellow 20# the best but also use Spiderwire. I have a mixture of 10 - 50# test on different rods. I like the no stretch sensitivity and can feel a mosquito land on the line.

I also use it on my Hybrid/whites and Catfish combos too.

I don't like loosing fish due to break-offs. I have worked a many a crappie loose that had me wrapped up in a brush pile.
I would rather bend hooks than break off. It does take some getting use to. I also have taught myself how to not pull up brush piles with it too.
Posted By: Walker_wilson13

Re: do you like Braid - 04/16/15 05:04 AM

I prefer 10lb braid to a 8lb fluoro leader. You literally feel everything, but it is a pain if you break off and that's the only reason I spool with 8lb fluoro. Other than that braid is my favorite
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: do you like Braid - 04/16/15 08:05 PM

20# Sufix 832 w/ 8# fluoro leader.

Before the flames start I'm fully aware I don't need 20# line to handle crappie but the 20# 832 handles so much better than the 10# it's not even a contest. It also is the same approximate diameter as 6# mono so other than the tensile strength it's not as heavy as you would suspect.
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: do you like Braid - 04/16/15 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Andrews
20# Sufix 832 w/ 8# fluoro leader.

Before the flames start I'm fully aware I don't need 20# line to handle crappie but the 20# 832 handles so much better than the 10# it's not even a contest. It also is the same approximate diameter as 6# mono so other than the tensile strength it's not as heavy as you would suspect.

I'm with you on this Mike but I use 20# PowerPro with 12# fluro leader. The 12 pound fluro makes it easier to tie on the leader and it doesn't slip due to the diameter. I use braid 100% of the time except with slip corks or dock shooting.
Posted By: Jon

Re: do you like Braid - 04/17/15 03:31 AM

Braid with fluoro leader guys: What knot do you like for joining the braid to the fluoro?

I like braid for the improved feel - like a direct piece of steel connecting the rod to the jig.
What's weird is catching a sizeable bluegill on braid with a St. Croix graphite rod. The feel of the way those fish fight with their sideways herky jerky tugs transferred straight into the rod is like something banging directly into the rod. Strangest crazy feeling thing till you get used to it.
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: do you like Braid - 04/17/15 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Jon
Braid with fluoro leader guys: What knot do you like for joining the braid to the fluoro?

I like braid for the improved feel - like a direct piece of steel connecting the rod to the jig.
What's weird is catching a sizeable bluegill on braid with a St. Croix graphite rod. The feel of the way those fish fight with their sideways herky jerky tugs transferred straight into the rod is like something banging directly into the rod. Strangest crazy feeling thing till you get used to it.

Alberto Knot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56O3CZVu7M

It's the only knot I've found where the jig knot will give before the fluoro to braid knot almost 100% of the time.

Re: do you like Braid - 04/17/15 02:49 PM

That's a good one, Mike!

I use the Albright Knot
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: do you like Braid - 04/17/15 03:50 PM

Nope; only mono hi-vis Mr Crappie, 6 lb. But I do use a clear 10-12 lb mono leader. It works and why improve on great, cheap line?
Posted By: moonriver

Re: do you like Braid - 04/17/15 04:01 PM

popcorn2
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: do you like Braid - 04/17/15 04:41 PM

Yes, Power Pro Super Slick 10/2! If water gets really clear I will use a mono leader or just go mono. Most of my spinning reels came with 2 spools and I like to keep one with Power Pro and one with mono, but mostly use the PP.

Skip
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: do you like Braid - 04/17/15 04:51 PM

What: All my tournament rod/reels (14) have Bonehead 12# hi-vis yellow.
Why: (1) I'm tournament fishing and I don't want to run the risk of 'the big one' breaking my line
(2) Braid is some much more sensitive than mono, that it's not even worth discussing
(3) The 'new' Bonehead six-strand is one of the smoothest braids that I've used yet
(4) I've literally used all the monos and braids out there and for the money, Bonehead is THE BEST that I've found
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: do you like Braid - 04/17/15 06:11 PM

Who the h-ll are this Stucky and Mike guy ?Sounds like they spend more time riggin than fishin.I may try that 20 lb braid the 8 starts getting soft and wrappin after a while but still better than haven't to respool every few weeks.May have to RETRY bonehead braid I sure wasn't happy with the first batch.You two girls come on down with your leaders tied on and I bet y'all don't catch more than me on straight braid.Balls in your court. Ha Darrell

Re: do you like Braid - 04/17/15 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: dwmoore
Who the h-ll are this Stucky and Mike guy ?Sounds like they spend more time riggin than fishin.I may try that 20 lb braid the 8 starts getting soft and wrappin after a while but still better than haven't to respool every few weeks.May have to RETRY bonehead braid I sure wasn't happy with the first batch.You two girls come on down with your leaders tied on and I bet y'all don't catch more than me on straight braid.Balls in your court. Ha Darrell

roflmao Yeah, that's because you'll box us out on the front deck and fish 15 feet away from the tree with your 10' foot rod! Might as well just starting casting Jitterbug's like Blake out the back of the boat so at least we catch something.
Posted By: donothin

Re: do you like Braid - 04/17/15 10:25 PM

I'm using braid but while I love it on some counts, I hate it on others. Best is the feel of a lite bite and the fact that it has no memory. However, it is forever getting looped over the end of my rod or if you have extra line pulled out for tossing jigs, it wraps around everything. Thinking about changing.
Posted By: onfirecrappie

Re: do you like Braid - 04/18/15 02:32 PM

I use braid on every rod I use for crappie fishing. It's stronger, more sensitive, and I don't have to replace it nearly as often. And if price is a factor, you do not have to buy name brand braid. eBay sells braids cheaper than most monos sold at Walmart.
Posted By: Dutch1947

Re: do you like Braid - 04/18/15 04:03 PM

I hate light braid. Just tired of it whipping around the end of the rod in the wind. I have found that the 15 to 20 pound braid is much less susceptible to wrapping around the rod in the wind, I use 20 lb. Power Prow Super Slick. I tip the Power Prow with about 3 feet of 8 lb Suffix Siege Smoke Green Mono. The Crappie can't see it, and 3 feet of Mono doesn't stretch much. The braid doesn't stretch at all. Good Luck!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum