Texas Fishing Forum

Fly fishing advice for Crappie???

Posted By: TrentonLee

Fly fishing advice for Crappie??? - 03/30/15 04:15 PM

This is my first year fly fishing so everything is still new to me. This Friday will be my first time targeting crappie and any tips on what works or advice on what to throw at em would be greatly appreciated. My buddies will be using conventional gear but it's just not as much of a thrill to me anymore since I've started fly fishing.
Posted By: tds

Re: Fly fishing advice for Crappie??? - 03/30/15 04:38 PM

The places I crappie fish would not lend themselves to fly fishing. No room to cast and too much close brush. Good luck

Terry
Posted By: WestTxJiggin

Re: Fly fishing advice for Crappie??? - 03/30/15 05:27 PM

Try throwing some Clouser Minnows. Works best if you can cast towards the shore from a kayak.
Posted By: larry mays

Re: Fly fishing advice for Crappie??? - 03/30/15 05:28 PM

A number of my friends use fly rods to crappie fish, I don't but do use up to 10 foot rods. The way we fish there is no casting for any of us, guess you would call it flipping and we all do it about the same and fish together often. I use a reel to take up slack and they do it by hand.
Posted By: joebeasley

Re: Fly fishing advice for Crappie??? - 03/30/15 09:14 PM

Black wooly buggers work for me. You'll need some type of strike indicator. The bite is usually a very light tap.
Posted By: rockhopper

Re: Fly fishing advice for Crappie??? - 03/31/15 01:35 AM

White wooly buggers and clousers, both weighted will usually get you bit when they're shallow. If you're dead set on catching crappie on the fly you might want to make the trip over to the LBJ grasslands and find lake Windmill. It is a small lake with a fly fishing only restriction and a good population of crappie.
Posted By: crope1

Re: Fly fishing advice for Crappie??? - 03/31/15 08:58 AM

welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted By: TrentonLee
This is my first year fly fishing so everything is still new to me. This Friday will be my first time targeting crappie and any tips on what works or advice on what to throw at em would be greatly appreciated. My buddies will be using conventional gear but it's just not as much of a thrill to me anymore since I've started fly fishing.
Posted By: TrentonLee

Re: Fly fishing advice for Crappie??? - 03/31/15 02:58 PM

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys! I am actually fishing Mineral Wells Lake here in my hometown and have always done well crappie fishing there. Ill be fishing the same spots as I usually do from my kayak. Ill be sure to update with pictures if I do any good. Like I said I am still new to fly fishing but have had a blast with it so far.
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Fly fishing advice for Crappie??? - 03/31/15 03:56 PM

I fly fish at times, you can just tie a small jig (1/32 oz) on a fly rod, put some line weight on and you can doodle sock the brush. You can use a woolly booger or whatever, but the jigs work just fine.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum