Texas Fishing Forum

A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite)

Posted By: banker-always fishing

A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 04:46 AM

Myself,Matt "Southtexasduckman"and Brandt "Plug Chunker" fished the Guadalupe River from 1pm till 6pm and the bite was simply "ON FIRE"! We caught around 80 fish and kept about 40 for the frying pan. Fish were holding next to structure in 18 to 20 feet of water. We caught a bunch suspended in 5 to 8 feet of water.Fish were caught using jigs with chartreuse/pink being the color of choice. Minnows were also used. The water was clear and the temperature of the water was 52 degrees. Spending the afternoon catching a mess of Crappie on the Guadalupe River. It just don't get any better. fish

Posted By: plugchunker

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 05:17 AM

Yeah yeah! Had a great time slaying slabs with y'all. It was great to finally meet you Chuck. Thanks again Matt.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 05:21 AM

Man that`s what I call Gittinum thumb

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 05:23 AM

Thanks "Fishbonz" for the reply. cheers Brandt: Pleasure to meet you and fish with ya. Had a great time on the Guadalupe. Hopefully we can do it again! fish
Posted By: crope1

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 05:29 AM

way to put a hurt on'them! ok Mr baf,you r slacking on your duties sir! u know i gotta have my vittles report....lol! especially after a great day of fishing with friends....but since u guys put a beat down on them,i'm sure i can let you pass this time....got to get down there and fish with you.
Posted By: Jater07

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 05:30 AM

Wow. Great job guys. Looks like it was a blast out there today.

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 05:34 AM

Thanks "Crope1" and "Jater07" for the replies. Yes sir the bite was on at the Guadalupe for sure! One of the highlights was Brandt catching two on double jigs!

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 05:49 AM

Here's the vittles report crope 1. It was savory crappie pancakes with cream gravy for supper tonight. Fishing for crappie with good friends and having crappie pancakes for supper it just don't get no better.

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 06:15 AM

Originally Posted By: plugchunker
Here's the vittles report crope 1. It was savory crappie pancakes with cream gravy for supper tonight. Fishing for crappie with good friends and having crappie pancakes for supper it just don't get no better.

One word Brandt! "AWESOME"! bow_down

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 06:28 AM

thx for the vittles report. i believe can make it now,lol!
Posted By: Southtexasduckman

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 06:36 AM

Oh yeah! Great times y'all ! Looking forward to the spawn! Stacked like Legos.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 06:54 AM

Great sack!

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 07:07 AM

thx for the vittles report. had to go to my cell to see the pic....i believe can make it now,lol!
Posted By: Matthew Carroll

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 11:12 AM

SWEET!
WTG Chuck... thumb
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 11:40 AM

Great report banker. Looks like you guys had a slab fest. thumb
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 02:16 PM

Chuck, looks like you guys were in a boat. Were you close to where you, Mutt, and I were at the mouth of the Guadalupe when we were down there. BTW, I'm spending this weekend with Mutt down in Dayton while he builds a step for my boat trailer. He says "Hi". Will post photos of it once it's sandblasted and painted.

Tight lines, buddy. I need to get back down there and fish with you and Mike.
Posted By: chaseh2003

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 03:18 PM

Awesome! Well done.
Posted By: Scott in Flower Mound

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 03:21 PM

Okay, now I'm wanting to head down there from Dripping Springs next week! cyclop
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/07/15 09:27 PM

Hey plugchunker those look delicious how abut posting the recipe in the recipe section.
Posted By: SK.

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/08/15 01:18 AM

Y'all did that & put the smack down on some slabs....NICE!!!
Posted By: Catfish-hunter

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/08/15 01:37 AM

Dang it guys! Nice job! Sure miss the smell of fish. Haven't got them figured out down here. clap
Posted By: crappielady62

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/08/15 02:09 AM

Can you guys share where you are fishing on the Guadalupe? I am planning to go down and get some.

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/08/15 11:33 AM

Thanks for the replies. cheers Bob: Great talking to you. Looking forward to seeing those RV steps. Also looking forward to some future fishing. "Aquiles": I will get word to Brandt on that recipe. He was telling me about it while on the river. You are right those Crappie Cakes look AWESOME. food
Posted By: Beltonbanger�

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/08/15 11:51 AM

Toooo much information!!!! Now I'm hungry!!!!!! food
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/08/15 02:17 PM

looks like yawl are on em there thumb
very nice
KABOOM slinger
Posted By: Dr. Erk

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/09/15 01:24 AM

100% envy. I've got to tag along with y'all one if these days and figure out what I'm doing wrong! Can't seem to figure out the Guadalupe. noidea

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/09/15 02:21 AM

Substitute the chicken with boiled crappie. I use crab boil bring the water to a boil put filets in, return to a boil then turn off and let sit for 30 min then remove and lightly fork them to pieces and fold into the batter. I like to make big batches and freeze the cakes. They thaw well on defrost and taste great even months later which is perfect for my busy family. Enjoy!

Posted By: koobycrappie

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/09/15 12:02 PM

Nice ones Chuck and gang!
Good report!

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/09/15 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: plugchunker
Substitute the chicken with boiled crappie. I use crab boil bring the water to a boil put filets in, return to a boil then turn off and let sit for 30 min then remove and lightly fork them to pieces and fold into the batter. I like to make big batches and freeze the cakes. They thaw well on defrost and taste great even months later which is perfect for my busy family. Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies. cheers For the ones who sent me PM's wanting the recipe for the Crappie Cakes "Plug Chunker" posted it. food Looks like the fish are staging for the spawn. Judging by the forecast warmer weather is expected all this week. Got a good feeling the spawn will be very soon. Just my two cents. 2cents
Posted By: Laker One

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/10/15 12:25 AM

Nice Ones guys. How far east did you go? We got on em at Wood Lake. Boated over 50 fish. Most of em were keepers in the 12 to 14 inch range. A lot of em fat with eggs. Gotta a feeling the spawn is near.

Side Note! When are you going to hit it again. Also thanks for the recipe. Got to give that a try.

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/10/15 12:31 PM

Thanks Curtis for the reply. cheers Glad you guys got on em. clap Were you in the main channel? Also what baits were working? noidea As for fishing again I have some areas I will be fishing once the water clears up. eeks The river is pretty muddy after these rains. nuts

Side Note: Down South will be picking up also. thumb

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/10/15 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Laker One
Nice Ones guys. How far east did you go? We got on em at Wood Lake. Boated over 50 fish. Most of em were keepers in the 12 to 14 inch range. A lot of em fat with eggs. Gotta a feeling the spawn is near.

Side Note! When are you going to hit it again. Also thanks for the recipe. Got to give that a try.

Good to hear a positive report over there. We were on Lake Gonzales a week ago and we caught one crappie all day. bang It was our first time out on that lake and while we found several BPs that were holding fish, we couldn't buy a bite to save our lives. When we were pulling our yaks out of the water we met a guy who fishes the lake all the time who had only caught three, so we didn't feel quite as bad but it was still a little disappointing. boxing

If you don't mind my asking, TPWD claims Gonzales is an "excellent" crappie fishery while Wood is "good" but I seem to see more reports on the web regarding Wood (though there's not much info on either noidea ), and I am unsure how often they actually update their little charts for each lake. If you've fished them both, which would you recommend from a kayak? I'm hoping to get out late next week and try my luck again, and if I'm already driving more than an hour, if Wood Lake seems the better choice I don't mind driving the extra 15 mins cyclop

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/10/15 02:31 PM

Doc the Crappie bite has picked up really good all along the Guadalupe River especially these past two weeks. All the river lakes hold good populations of Crappie. The more you fish em the better you get on finding em and figuring out their patterns. Right now I have been catching em in 18 to 21 feet of water holding next to structure such as brush piles and bridge pillars. The spawn is fixing to start and the fish will be moving to shallow water in creeks and coves. As for baits Chartreuse/black,Chartreuse/pink,Jigs by "Jig Em Jigs"(light green in color) are working good. I had some very good brush piles marked on a GPS a couple of years ago. They have all been since washed away by flooding. Had to start over again. Good luck and keep fishing for em. Some days you will find em and others you wont. fish

Side Note: I like fishing Meadow Lake better than Wood Lake! Meadow is much deeper and has some great structure. thumb

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/10/15 05:55 PM

Thanks again! I was on Meadow once before, at night last July. I might have to make another trip there soon! At the time I did not have a depth finder on my kayak so was fishing blind, and in the dark roflmao

Anyway, thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll have something to report here eventually. hmmm

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/10/15 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Dr. Erk
Thanks again! I was on Meadow once before, at night last July. I might have to make another trip there soon! At the time I did not have a depth finder on my kayak so was fishing blind, and in the dark roflmao

Anyway, thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll have something to report here eventually. hmmm

thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/11/15 04:36 AM

Man you guys got into em. Good job!

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/11/15 05:50 AM

Thanks "Gitter" for the reply. thumb
Posted By: sabugguy

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/12/15 02:54 PM

was at the guad yesterday. Water was clear, no runoff staining....bite was a bit slow (post front)..made me work hard for the 6 I caught. But sunny days and higher temps will gettem going again.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/12/15 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: sabugguy
was at the guad yesterday. Water was clear, no runoff staining....bite was a bit slow (post front)..made me work hard for the 6 I caught. But sunny days and higher temps will gettem going again.

Thanks for the update "sabugguy" and welcome to the Texas Fishing Forum! cheers

Side Note: Friends of mine caught 40 yesterday. They were fishing creek channels 14 to 18 feet of water! "Jig Em Jigs"(Light Green) and Crappie Magnets (Chartreuse/Pink) were the baits of choice. thumb

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/13/15 02:45 AM

boated 20 crappie today.....or I should say 'kayaked' 20 today. couple whites, and lmb's and thanks for the welcome

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/13/15 05:50 AM

welcome to the forum!
boated 20 crappie today.....or I should say 'kayaked' 20 today. couple whites, and lmb's and thanks for the welcome

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/13/15 12:50 PM

How deep were you finding em? hmmm

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/13/15 02:03 PM

About 10'....with the most activity between 4-6pm

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/13/15 04:08 PM

Fish the creek channels. Been getting great results in 8 to 10 feet of water! I think the fish are starting to stage close to shallow water for their spawn.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/13/15 08:58 PM

Thanks "Sabugguy" and Curtis for the updates and information! thumb

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/20/15 02:51 PM

boated 32 on Tues, 28 Yesterday

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/20/15 05:38 PM

The action is still hot hot hot on the Guadalupe! Catching and releasing some absolute slabs! Water is pretty stained and I imagine it's about to get even darker with this rain on the way! (Hope)

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/20/15 07:13 PM

Wow great job! I was down on Meadow lake in my kayak yesterday for about 4 hours and all I could catch were bass bang

Not gonna lie, pretty jealous thumb

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/20/15 11:12 PM

Bite has picked up all along the river. The spawn is on! Matt: Two of my friends boated over fifty on Mcqueeney. Fish were in 4 feet of water! They were hitting on any color of jig you were presenting. They kept 30,released the rest. Also I did pretty good further east. Caught 14 from the docks. Shallow water 4 to 6 feet deep. All were 13 and 14 inch slabs. Chartreuse/pink and light green jigs by "Jig Em Jigs" were the baits of choice. thumb

Posted By: jvela

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/21/15 02:44 PM

Went out last Sunday night with my son and a friend on his boat looking for some night time bass action. I had couple nice hits and my friend caught a of couple small ones. I had grabbed a few minnows on the way for some possible crappie action. Decided to fish for crappie under lights. We ended up with 7 keepers, 3 of which measured over 15 inches and one hog at just under 16!!

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/21/15 03:24 PM

Just an fyi....guad river record, white crappie 14.25" 1.62 lbs, if you are into that sorta thing

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/21/15 03:44 PM

Great report Chuck!

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/21/15 04:05 PM

A couple shots of my last 3 trips....keep just a few to eat....throw rest back for next time

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/21/15 05:19 PM

This is one of them. My son has the rest of the pics. I'll try try get him to send them to me.
Posted By: Hunt91

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/21/15 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Bite has picked up all along the river. The spawn is on! Matt: Two of my friends boated over fifty on Mcqueeney. Fish were in 4 feet of water! They were hitting on any color of jig you were presenting. They kept 30,released the rest. Also I did pretty good further east. Caught 14 from the docks. Shallow water 4 to 6 feet deep. All were 13 and 14 inch slabs. Chartreuse/pink and light green jigs by "Jig Em Jigs" were the baits of choice. thumb

When you are fishing 4-6 ft, are you jigging or fishing under a slip float?

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/22/15 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunt91

When you are fishing 4-6 ft, are you jigging or fishing under a slip float?

Under a slip float. Approx a foot off the bottom.
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/22/15 02:18 PM

I was on McQueeney last Saturday with a buddy, and we kept 16 crappie, a bass and a cat. All on minnows, stacked up on a lay down in 4' of water. Lost a bunch, caught a few undersized. Left me biting because we were out of minnows.

Went out yesterday in the rain, same creek, but rain runoff had dis colored the water, and the current was flowing. They weren't on that brush pile, seems they had moved over to lily pads in slack water. Caught 3 good ones, lost 3 or 4 solid ones, 1 of which broke my line. Going back out again this morning as soon as the bait shop opens up.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/22/15 03:08 PM

And I might add that if I am able to find crappie, they are definitely spawning.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/22/15 06:06 PM

Caught over 50 this morning on Meadow. Kept 20 for the pan. Fish are in 2 to 5 feet of water. Found em next to brush pile ups and over hanging tree limbs. Jigs Chartreuse/pink worked very well. Watched a angler in a kayak fighting a huge catfish for about 15 minutes. The fish got off but was taking that kayak for a ride.
Posted By: aj_jacks

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/22/15 07:41 PM

Are there any bait shops close to the IH 35 ramp?

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/22/15 08:19 PM

Closest one is Hillcrest or highcrest convenience store about 1/4 mile west of common street on loop 337.
Posted By: aj_jacks

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/22/15 10:33 PM

Thanks
Posted By: Goodtimes79

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/22/15 11:40 PM

Nice

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/23/15 02:22 AM

Tough conditions today. Water was super muddy like chocolate milk but we were able to scratch a few out along with a big warmouth.
Posted By: chaseh2003

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/23/15 02:27 AM

Southtexasduckman, I think I saw you launching your boat. I was one of the two guys loading the kayaks when you drove up. Nice job, especially considering the muddy water. We didn't catch anything but one catfish but we didn't spend much time fishing. Mostly exploring.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/23/15 05:27 AM

Man you guys are nailing em! hooked This has been an AWESOME bite on the Guadalupe for sure. clap I have been having some pretty good days myself. Love seeing those Guadalupe River Catches. Thanks for sharing. rockon

Side Note: Choke Canyon has also been on FIRE! flame
Posted By: SlabSeeker

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/23/15 05:55 PM

Went out Friday afternoon and it was hot fishing. I managed a limit right before the storm got bad. Went back yesterday, and did okay but that was only because of the rain. I plan on fishing the Guadalupe every evening this week. Now this type of fishing is what I call fun.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/23/15 11:24 PM

Good job "SlabSeeker"! cheers Great time to be on the Guadalupe for sure! fish
Posted By: newbiefisher

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/24/15 05:45 AM

I assume you guys are not talking about the Guadalupe right above Canyon Lake???

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/24/15 12:52 PM

No, these guys usually focus on the river lakes below Canyon Lake: Dunlap, McQueeney, Placid, Meadow, and below. I was on Meadow last week and met a guy at the ramp who caught a couple of limits a few weeks ago in the Rebecca Creek area upriver of Canyon, but he said last week the crappie seemed to have moved somewhere else noidea

I'm still searching for some crappie! Plan to take the kayak out again either this weekend or the next. I'll let you know if I find any this time bang PS I think your moniker better applies to me, especially given my recent history trying to find the elusive crappiefish loco_2
Posted By: crappiegetter

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/24/15 01:07 PM

wopics
Posted By: crappiegetter

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/24/15 01:09 PM

Damn my puter they didn't show at 1st lol sorry nuts
Originally Posted By: crappiegetter
wopics

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/24/15 02:45 PM

Not true....I caught over 50 in 2 days at rc/guad. Trolling for them has been slow...but jigging will boat you fish

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/24/15 02:50 PM

I mean yeah, he is right...all crappie have moved down river. No fish to see here. grin

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/24/15 05:08 PM

The spawn has been on these past two weeks. Choke Canyon has been HOT! Also a couple of friends of mine have fished Falcon and the Crappie bite was good there. Fish are in shallow water 2 to 5 feet.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/24/15 07:52 PM

I mean yeah, he is right...all crappie have moved down river. No fish to see here. grin

LOL well, I know the OP fishes mainly downriver :-P

Since you've been around RC lately, do you know if ramp 11 has enough water around it to get a kayak out? A month or two back I read somewhere that you had to slog through mud to get out into enough water for even a kayak!

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/24/15 09:50 PM

LOL well, I know the OP fishes mainly downriver :-P

Since you've been around RC lately, do you know if ramp 11 has enough water around it to get a kayak out? A month or two back I read somewhere that you had to slog through mud to get out into enough water for even a kayak!

The upper Guad has good water. thumb You can easily launch a kayak at Rebecca Creek. eeks I also think the boat ramp is open. hmmm I could be mistaken but have heard it was. noidea

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/24/15 10:06 PM

Hmm... Unless they dug it out I doubt ramp 11 is open... Its been closed to boats for a couple of years now. However, a kayak was easy to launch most of those times. Maybe I'll try my luck next time out and if its closed just drive over to cranes mill.

And you're right. That's a beautiful piece of water upriver of canyon. cheers

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/24/15 10:15 PM

Hmm... Unless they dug it out I doubt ramp 11 is open... Its been closed to boats for a couple of years now. However, a kayak was easy to launch most of those times. Maybe I'll try my luck next time out and if its closed just drive over to cranes mill.

And you're right. That's a beautiful piece of water upriver of canyon. cheers

It's Closed! You can still launch a Kayak easily!
Posted By: hcoe

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/24/15 11:14 PM

I was on Meadow last week and met a guy at the ramp who caught a couple of limits a few weeks ago in the Rebecca Creek area upriver of Canyon, but he said last week the crappie seemed to have moved somewhere else noidea

Was that you? - loading your kayak and gave me your minnows?

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/24/15 11:22 PM

Oh gosh guys! You know half of those 3800 views were me. Trying to find that exact location for me to catch a crappie. If a guy who is new to the area was going to look for crappie at Canyon lake,where would he take his 14' deep V and heavy Jon boat with a 20hp to to catch fish? Should I go to Cranes Mill and go up river? How far? Minnows near by? Thanks

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/25/15 01:00 AM

Yep that was me. smile How did you do?
Posted By: hcoe

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/25/15 02:45 AM

Yep that was me. smile How did you do?

Good to meet you.

Fished out there for about 3 hours. Went up river on Meadow but no crappie found. Saw some shad being chased so I stopped and caught a bunch of small blacks, best fish was little over 14".

Went to Canyon Sunday and got back on crappie. Ended up sharing my spot with a guy in a kayak I'd met out there a week or two before. We fished and did pretty well. We boated a bunch probably over 50, but they were smaller. I kept 16, I think he said he kept 9. Bite shut off around noon or so ended up wandering off in search of whites and blacks.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/25/15 04:50 AM

[3img]https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics/usergals/2015/03/full-95243-50513-20150324_192014_1.jpg[/img]

Boated over 50.....guad above canyon

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/25/15 05:17 AM

Boated over 50 the other day fishing creek channels. Kept 20 for the pan. Fish were in 4 to 8 feet of water holding close to sunken timber and overhanging tree limbs."Jig Em Jigs" green in color along with Crappie Magnets (Chartreuse/pink) were the baits of choice. Fished the eastern end of the river east of Seguin.

Side Note: Had minnows but the fish preferred the jigs. hmmm

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/25/15 01:26 PM

I have yet to use live bait this year...all jigging and plugs.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/25/15 09:33 PM

I have yet to use live bait this year...all jigging and plugs.

I don't blame you. I have caught more Crappie using jigs than minnows. hooked I guess I bring a few just in case they don't want a jig! Who knows. noidea

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/26/15 02:24 AM

Fished this afternoon and let me tell ya the bite was on fire! It started out a lil slow as my normal holes were not producing but I knew where they should be and I found a few new spots. I ended up catching near 40 and a catfish. Using Mr . Crappie soft plastics! Kept a few for dinner.

Great times on the old Guadalupe!
Posted By: Jater07

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/26/15 03:00 AM

So why do yall think crappie haven't done as well on Dunlap in numbers like they have done in other river lakes like meadow and mcqueeny?
Posted By: wgpj

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/26/15 10:58 AM

I've wondered about that for years. I have tried to find Crappie many times in Dunlap, none yet. And, it has more "Crappie looking" water than the other lakes; ie stump field, timber, etc. Reports from friends indicate there are some in there, but catches seem to be few and far between. Its a mystery to me.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/26/15 01:16 PM

Catfish always look funny to me, especially when they are on a stringer with other fish. The crappie all look startled to be on the stringer but the catfish looks stoned and without a care in the world. Nice catch! thumb

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/26/15 04:21 PM

Fished some creek channels on Mcqueeney yesterday and did good. Boated a limit and kept a few for dinner. Fish were caught in 2 to 4 feet of water by over hanging tree limbs close to the bank. Red/Green Crappie Magnets were the bait of choice.

Side Note: Great meeting you Kevin. Glad you got on em as well.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/27/15 05:53 AM

Yes Sir the SPAWN IS ON in the Guadalupe River for sure. Thanks guys for the updates on your catches. Hope everyone is getting some. Also the Crappie bite is ON FIRE at Choke Canyon,Canyon Lake, and Lake Falcon in deep south Texas! thumb

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/27/15 04:41 PM

Canyon Lake...on fire??? Those are words you don't hear in the same sentence very often.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/28/15 03:06 AM

I went to MCQueeny today,wasn't on fire. But I don't know how to fish. Caught some short bass though,not a total bust. Thanks,friends.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/28/15 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: catfish/crappie-hunter
I went to MCQueeny today,wasn't on fire. But I don't know how to fish. Caught some short bass though,not a total bust. Thanks,friends.

Did you fish the pads by Treasure Island? Also there are several very good spots by the bridge. One factor to take in consideration we had a front come through and that usually slows down the bite for a couple of days. That has been my experience.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/28/15 08:02 PM

Weather changes have really messed up the bite all year long. bang Several friends of mine did not do that well fishing Friday. eeks The bite should be pretty good this weekend. coolio

Side Note: Chances of some needed RAIN next week. Hope we get some. thumb
Posted By: Catfish_Hunter

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/29/15 12:27 AM

Found a few on the guad myself today. Started off catching several small bass on jigs. Maybe I just wasn't trying hard enough or working the right areas, but most of the crappie came off a single spot. Then as the crappie were shutting down, a group of small blues came through and snacked on some of my minnows. I guess they thought they were crappie, so to avoid such bad genetics in the river I decided I better take them home as well. Ended with 4 kitties and 13 crappie, minnows and jigs.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/29/15 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Catfish_Hunter
Found a few on the guad myself today. Started off catching several small bass on jigs. Maybe I just wasn't trying hard enough or working the right areas, but most of the crappie came off a single spot. Then as the crappie were shutting down, a group of small blues came through and snacked on some of my minnows. I guess they thought they were crappie, so to avoid such bad genetics in the river I decided I better take them home as well. Ended with 4 kitties and 13 crappie, minnows and jigs.

Cool. What part of the Guadalupe?

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/29/15 02:07 AM

The part between Spring Branch and Cuero bolt

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/29/15 02:56 AM

sorry,nice fish

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/29/15 03:18 AM

Nice Haul! Glad to were able to find em! Good job. cheers

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/29/15 03:40 PM

Same here....we boated close to 90 between 2 of us.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/29/15 04:08 PM

The part between Spring Branch and Cuero bolt

Damn. That's an awfully long distance to cover in a single trip! How did you portage around all of the dams? hammer

It's a shame that they don't name the large bodies of water that pool up behind the dams of a river. You'd think that would make it more convenient to relate locations to other people huh

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/29/15 04:43 PM

Nice Haul!

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/29/15 04:43 PM

That river is putting out some super numbers. Nice fish.
Posted By: usmcgruntd.co

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/29/15 05:02 PM

Hey fellas I usually fish for crappie at choke or on the nueces, need alittle my parents live in cuero never have fished for crappie can I find them in that area I'll be using a kayak. Any help will be appreciated and what to look for
Posted By: sabigfish

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/29/15 05:16 PM

Went up river a few miles a few days ago was able to catch a limit of crappie and 18 white bass on minnows. I am a live bait angler and have always been able to get minnows from Fisherman's Corner 210-213-2534 at the entrance to Potters Creek it seems they always have minnow this over many years. I have tried other bait shops a few times and they always seem to be out when the fish are biting or go out business. Fisherman's Corner are only open 8 hours a day but that enough for me. The owner and I are both disabled vets and I will always support DAV first.

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/29/15 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: sabigfish
Went up river a few miles a few days ago was able to catch a limit of crappie and 18 white bass on minnows. I am a live bait angler and have always been able to get minnows from Fisherman's Corner 210-213-2534 at the entrance to Potters Creek it seems they always have minnow this over many years. I have tried other bait shops a few times and they always seem to be out when the fish are biting or go out business. Fisherman's Corner are only open 8 hours a day but that enough for me. The owner and I are both disabled vets and I will always support DAV first.

flag flag flag Thank you and all of our VETS for their priceless service. flag flag flag

Side Note: I have heard that both the Crappie bite and White Bass bite are pretty good on the upper Guadalupe. Thanks for the information and happy you got a limit.

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/30/15 12:35 AM

hmmmmmmm....havent got into whities in upper guad

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/30/15 03:20 AM

Nice Haul! Good job. cheers

Side Note: Friends of mine who fished yesterday and today all reported good results. For the Anglers who are not all that familiar with the Guadalupe River it is divided by several generator dam lakes. They are Lake Dunlap,Lake Mcqueeney,Lake Placid,Meadow Lake,Wood Lake, and Lake Gonzales. I think there is one more called the 4H Lake but I may be wrong. All of the lakes with the exception of Lake Gonzales run between New Braunfels and Gonzales. I think Lake Gonzales is just east of Gonzales.(Never been on that lake before,only told about it. I have also never been on the 4H Lake and have only heard about it also. As for the other Lakes I have fish all of em mainly for Sunfish but I have also caught my share of Crappie. As for exact locations you kind of have to know the water bodies to find em and you also need to know how to fish em. Right now some safe and accurate information on all the above places to fish is they are being found in shallow water 2 to 4 feet deep. (Spawn is on). Look for Lily Pads,brush piles and stick up's along with tree limb overhangs in that water depth and you should do good as long as the bite is on. So far the late afternoon bite between 3'O clock and 6 O'clock are the best times. Minnows,and a wide variety of jigs are working. Best color for jigs is Chartreuse/Black,Chartreuse/pink,and light green. If I had to rate the best river spots for me they have been as followed. #1. Meadow Lake.#2.Lake Mcqueeney.#3.Lake Placid.#4. Wood Lake.#5 Dunlap. I have also done good on Canyon Lake fishing the Upper Guadalupe there. Hope this kind of helps out. Good luck and stay safe. fish

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/30/15 01:25 PM

According to the research before I went a few weeks ago, I read that Lake Gonzales is also known by the name H-4. Just to clear up any confusion.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 03/30/15 02:03 PM

According to the research before I went a few weeks ago, I read that Lake Gonzales is also known by the name H-4. Just to clear up any confusion.

Thank you Sir. I did some checking last night and found out the same! thumb

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/02/15 11:25 PM

Bite Continues to be GOOD on the Guadalupe River. Caught these today from 10am till 2pm. A few were kept for dinner. Fish were located in 7 to 10 feet of water inside boat slips. Jigs Chartreuse/pink were the color to choice.

Posted By: lookingfor25

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/03/15 02:19 AM

Way to go guys nice fish

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/03/15 12:24 PM

Awesome fish guys. Great seeing you still have em dialed in.

Side Note: Some look like they have spawned out? Also got to love that Chartreuse color.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/03/15 03:53 PM

Thanks "Looking for 25" and "Gitter Done" for the replies. cheers "Gitter": Seems anything with the Chartreuse color in it WORKS! hooked

Side Note: Reports I am getting from other anglers who fish the Guadalupe on a regular basis is the Crappie bite is still good and that most fish are being caught in water that is 2 to 10 feet deep. The spawn is also still ongoing. thumb

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/03/15 06:55 PM

I plan to be out there tomorrow and hopefully Tuesday as well clap

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/04/15 02:37 AM

Caught 20 today up to 15". Jigs and minners, most from 8-12 ft. Haven't had much luck fishing shallower. Chartreuse is good, but also good with pink/white. Also caught a little 14" flathead...twice. Pretty sure it was the same one.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/04/15 04:14 AM

Caught 20 today up to 15". Jigs and minners, most from 8-12 ft. Haven't had much luck fishing shallower. Chartreuse is good, but also good with pink/white. Also caught a little 14" flathead...twice. Pretty sure it was the same one.

Good job! cheers

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/04/15 02:29 PM

Bite Continues to be GOOD on the Guadalupe River. Caught these today from 10am till 2pm. A few were kept for dinner. Fish were located in 7 to 10 feet of water inside boat slips. Jigs Chartreuse/pink were the color to choice.

Nice Fish guys! Still catching em in good numbers also! As already been said. 2 to 10 feet of water. Lily Pads,shallow brush piles,and tree overhangs. Minnows and jigs (Chartreuse/pink) you will not go wrong.
Posted By: sabigfish

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/04/15 09:47 PM

We caught 40 last night upriver with large minnows in just a couple hours before the winds sent us home.
I tried jigging no luck
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/05/15 01:00 AM

Hey Banker, my daughter just bought a house on treasure island.

Looks like I will be spending some time on the water in your neck of the woods soon. We will have to meet up and fish together, I will have a open seat for you.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/05/15 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla
Hey Banker, my daughter just bought a house on treasure island.

Looks like I will be spending some time on the water in your neck of the woods soon. We will have to meet up and fish together, I will have a open seat for you.

Give me a shout when ever you are in my neck of the woods. The pleasure would be mine! cheers

Side Note: "Sabigfish": Glad you are still on em. Good job ! thumb Are you catching any Whites Bass? hmmm

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/05/15 12:23 PM

Nice fish! Glad to keep seeing good reports coming in.

Side Note: The Crappie Bite is very good on Choke Canyon right now!

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/09/15 09:49 PM

Awesome reports! Went last night, spur of the the moment kinda thing. Caught 17 keepers and a few throw backs. Biggest one came in at 14.5". 2nd time out on McQueeny. Still need to learn the area a bit more.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/09/15 10:02 PM

Having trouble uploading pics mad

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/09/15 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: jvela
Awesome reports! Went last night, spur of the the moment kinda thing. Caught 17 keepers and a few throw backs. Biggest one came in at 14.5". 2nd time out on McQueeny. Still need to learn the area a bit more.

Awesome Job! cheers Information I have been getting from friends of mine is that they are still getting good numbers. clap A lot of the fish have spawned out. eeks Fish are still in the shallows and are being caught in 2 to 6 feet of water. Jigs are still the choice over minnows. For the most part anglers are still finding em. coolio

Side Note: Looks like a pretty good storm system is moving into the area this weekend. Hope we get some super soakings. thumb
Posted By: cbag1

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/10/15 01:23 AM

I fished the upper Guadalupe Tuesday between Nichols landing and 281. Only caught one small black bass using jigs. Lots of places looked fishy like they may hold crappie or more black bass. Strange and disappointing at the same time.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/10/15 01:37 AM

Jigs are definitely the way to go. Minnows were getting some decent action but jigs killed em. Managed to catch a nice warmouth, several bass, and a mud cat to boot. Can't wait for the next go! 15 out of the 17 crappie were female and still had some eggs. Could it be that the spawn is not quite over yet?

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/10/15 12:28 PM

Fished the far eastern part of the Guadalupe on Wednesday. Fish were stacked in 3-4' of water. I used "electric chicken" soft plastic jigs. Catch and released 30+ not one small fish!

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/10/15 12:42 PM

I am obviously out of my depth on this board - I can locate fish on my finder all over, and catch one or two on occasion, but I'm assuming I need to refine my technique to actually get the fish in the boat. I guess it didn't help that the wind was pretty strong most of the day, and its hard to keep a paddle-driven kayak in one place while trying to fish.

My brother in law and I launched our kayaks at Rebecca Creek on Tuesday (you can put in at the old ramp but the water from the main ramp to the river looks too shallow even for a kayak eeks). We caught a few that were just under 10" but only managed one keeper. We also caught a few 12-14" bass and a keeper blue catfish. I couldn't find any shallow; all of them we caught were on dropoffs and holding on submerged trees 8-10' deep. We fished from the mouth of the creek to just over 1 mile upriver. We tried minnows and jigs but only caught crappie on minnows and only caught bass on jigs hammer

But I'm not sure if my report means much - someone else I know managed a limit in the same general area fishing at the same time we were. noidea

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/10/15 12:45 PM

Fished the New Braunfels,Seguin area and me and a friend boated over 50 fish. Fished Wednesday. Fish were holding in 3 to 6 feet of water. Had a few small ones but not many. Biggest fish was 14.50". A lot of fish looked like they have spawned out. Several of my friends are having good results on the upper Guadalupe just above Canyon Lake. They are fishing shallow coves. I am using a black/chartreuse Crappie Magnet jig.

Kept 20 for the pan.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/10/15 09:37 PM

Great thread thumb
A lot of good reports and open sharing banana
Good luck everybody clap
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/14/15 03:24 AM

I have the day off on Friday and I think I would like to make the drive over to McQueeney to do the maiden voyage of my new kayak.

The only question I have is where is the best place to put in? Thanks!

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/14/15 04:52 AM

Might have to jump off a bridge with it or take it over the Dunlap dam. I cant find a way on. Pretty sad considering it's a navigable river and in texas is for public use.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/14/15 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: HandgunHTR
I have the day off on Friday and I think I would like to make the drive over to McQueeney to do the maiden voyage of my new kayak.

The only question I have is where is the best place to put in? Thanks!

I've never made it onto Mcqueeney on mine, but Banker told me the only launch there is in the logs wood subdivision. It's a rough ramp for a gas pipeline easement and it's about a 3 mile paddle to the main lake. To save time looking, here's a link to Google maps

Dropped Pin

http://goo.gl/maps/cA7tK
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/14/15 01:17 PM

Thanks Dr. Erk.

Is there anywhere else on the river that is a bit easier to get on and off of? Not that I am afraid of a long paddle, I am just not sure about going that far on my first trip by myself, especially since they are predicting an ENE wind, so I would be paddling back against the wind and current.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/14/15 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: HandgunHTR
Thanks Dr. Erk.

Is there anywhere else on the river that is a bit easier to get on and off of? Not that I am afraid of a long paddle, I am just not sure about going that far on my first trip by myself, especially since they are predicting an ENE wind, so I would be paddling back against the wind and current.

I would put in at the Dunlap ramp. It is right under IH 35 in New Braunfels. Lots of areas to start fishing right away. The lake is pretty muddy right now. Gonna take a day or two for the water to clear up. fish
Posted By: DFW-fisherman

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/14/15 03:29 PM

I love reading this stuff! Thanks to all! bouncy

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/15/15 04:26 AM

All the river lakes are a MUDDY MESS! Also the forecast says 90 percent chance of heavy rain Thursday,Friday,Saturday,and Sunday! This is for the San Antonio area!

Side Note: None of my buddies have gone out since the last rains. Prior to that the bite was still going good with fish being found in creek channels 3 to 6 feet of water and at the mouth of channels hanging around drop offs in 8 to 10 feet of water. thumb
Posted By: Choupique

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/15/15 09:01 PM

What Banker said... I fished solo on the Guadalupe and caught a lot of nice fish last Thursday (>30) in the location types Banker described. It will be a while before thinks settle down.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/16/15 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: tboxfish
Great thread thumb
A lot of good reports and open sharing banana
Good luck everybody clap

I have really enjoyed staying up on this thread. Lots of great information being shared and it's great reading that anglers are finding fish. Awesome thread!

Side Note: According to the weatherman tomorrwo is going be a "SUPER SOAKER". Supposed to get between 2"and 4" of rain.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/16/15 10:45 PM

Me and Mike "USMC-GY" fished the Guadalupe this morning and the bite was on.We fished the west side. Fish were caught holding by docks in 7 to 10 feet of water. Green Jig Em Jigs,and Chartreuse/Pink Crappie Magnets were the baits of choice. We kept a few for the dinner table.Water was stained with a good current. After a GREAT morning catching Crappie we grabbed a quick snack at the New Braunfels Jack In the Box. Catching Crappie on a Thursday Morning. It just don't get any better. fish

Side Note: According to the weatherman we are going to get a lot or RAIN tomorrow. Some storms my be severe. Stay safe! eeks

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/17/15 03:03 PM

Me and Mike "USMC-GY" fished the Guadalupe this morning and the bite was on.We fished the west side. Fish were caught holding by docks in 7 to 10 feet of water. Green Jig Em Jigs,and Chartreuse/Pink Crappie Magnets were the baits of choice. We kept a few for the dinner table.Water was stained with a good current. After a GREAT morning catching Crappie we grabbed a quick snack at the New Braunfels Jack In the Box. Catching Crappie on a Thursday Morning. It just don't get any better. fish

Side Note: According to the weatherman we are going to get a lot or RAIN tomorrow. Some storms my be severe. Stay safe! eeks

Awesome fish. Great seeing you guys are still on em. rockon

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/18/15 04:46 AM

Thanks "Gitter" for the reply! We are still finding good numbers! thumb Hopefully we can keep finding em! peep

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/18/15 07:32 PM

Nice fish guys! I have been finding em in a little deeper water lately myself. Went out this last Friday Morning with Jeff and we boated a bunch. We kept some for the frying pan. Fished the eastern side and found em in 10 to 15 feet water hanging close to brush piles. Also picked up a few in the creek channels. Biggest fish was close to 15". Most of the keepers looked like they had spawned out. Found eggs in only a few that were cleaned. Jigs Chartreuse/pink and Chartreuse/black were the baits of choice. Ran into Steve and he did OK on Thursday fishing Mcqueeney. He stated he found em in 10 to 15 feet of water by docks and in slips. He was using sliders chartreuse/black in color. He boated 15 all keepers and he released all of em. Biggest was about 13".

Side Note: Mcqueeney got just under 3" of rain total Thursday and Friday evening. Prior to that it got a little over 3" the prior week.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/19/15 05:05 AM

Thanks for the report Curtis and the reply! cheers Drove by the river today and it was muddy in most areas. eeks Water should be clearing up either Monday or Tuesday. thumb Glad to hear you are still finding em. coolio

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/20/15 09:07 PM

Nice catch y'all!

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/21/15 02:29 AM

Thanks Matt! cheers Went by the river this afternoon and the water looks pretty good. coolio

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/24/15 06:35 AM

So how is the crappie fest going now? This thread has been quiet lately. Does this mean it's over?

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 04/24/15 12:37 PM

Originally Posted By: newbiefisher
So how is the crappie fest going now? This thread has been quiet lately. Does this mean it's over?

Na not by a long shot! The spawn for the most part is winding down in our area. We have been getting some very heavy rain over the past couple of weeks. The water has been pretty muddy and thus is slowing down the fishing. We got over 4" of rain this morning from some very BIG STORMS that went through. This will slow down the fishing even more. Things will be picking up the next couple of weeks.

Side Note: Forecast in the in the San Antonio area says more heavy rain tonight.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 05/07/15 01:31 AM

BITE STILL GOOD ! rockon

Fished the Guadalupe with friends Bob Landry,Mutt "Olhipie" and Mike "USMC-GY". We located several nice bunches of Crappie holding in 10 to 12 feet of water. Some of the fish were suspended in 7 feet of water. Jigs, Chartreuse/pink,chartreuse/black,blue sliders,and minnows were used. The water was stained due to resent rains. We kept some for dinner! Catching a mess of Crappie with friends. It just don't get any better. fish

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 05/07/15 05:57 AM

sliders? would someone post a pic of this jig please.i apologize if its already in the post,but i'm reading the forum from a work computer,shhhhhhhhhhh,and pics don't always show up.thx in advance.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 05/07/15 02:29 PM

Nice haul Chuck! woot Been getting good numbers fishing the eastern end. Finding fish in 10 to 12 feet of water holding by brush piles and drop offs. Most fish I have been catching have "spawned out". Not getting any in the shallows. Jigs chartreuse/black and chartreuse/pink are the baits getting the best results."Crope 1": Google Crappie Sliders. There are a bunch of different types. I use a black/silver and a blue/silver and have gotten good results. I use the Berkley sliders and get em at Bass Pro. Cabelas also has em. coolio

Side Note: The GBRA is working on the dams and the river lake levels are low. The levels should be back to normal in the later part of this month. Also looks like we may get some heavy rain this weekend. Just as the water was clearing up this will muddy up the water again.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 05/07/15 02:49 PM

I was fishing the Rebecca Creek area of Guad, north of the lake feb-mar....they spawned out well over a month ago.... Best I can figure out during my first spawn in this area, since the river doesnt have the cover like the river lakes below canyon, ie lily pads, they spawn mostly on tree limbs, we were catching limits on just one tree! After spawn, females left....leaving smaller males to tend tree beds. Caught post spawned females almost 2 months ago. Havent been out there in a least a month now
Posted By: Guide Cliff Hill

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 05/07/15 03:21 PM

Chuck! Awesome catch!
We found them right before dark in 10-15 ft the other night as well, kept few for dinner along with some ditch pickles.
Shaping up to be a great summer:)
All fish came on 1/8th ounce white chart jigs from constant pursuit outiftters and 2 inch go go minnows from fle fly

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 05/08/15 01:21 AM

Thanks Guys for the replies. Curtis: Dunlap is super low. Placid is not that bad. Don't know about Mcqueeney. Wood and Meadow appear to be up. Cliff: Nice haul. Good job. cheers
Posted By: DaddynEvanfish

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/09/15 12:21 AM

Is there anything I can fish for at Rebecca Creek in late summer or fall near Ramp 11 with any consistent results? I finally have a weekend with my 12yo son and want to get out there in the next couple weeks, or maybe this fall. THANKS

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/09/15 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: DaddynEvanfish
Is there anything I can fish for at Rebecca Creek in late summer or fall near Ramp 11 with any consistent results? I finally have a weekend with my 12yo son and want to get out there in the next couple weeks, or maybe this fall. THANKS

I have not fished the upper Guadalupe in a while! I have heard the night Crappie bite is pretty good especially under the lights. thumb
Posted By: Choupique

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/09/15 03:23 PM

I was thinking of a trip to the Guadalupe (Lake Placid) yesterday. I changed my mind when I found out that all the ramps are open on Canyon (except 2, I think). I put in at Crane's Mill Park at about 2 - and the wind was howling. I went straight to the river where it was windy enough to stay cool by not too windy to control the boat. Talking about a beautiful boat ride - I have never seen it so green and the water upriver was absolutely beautiful. I motored up to about a half mile past Rebecca Creek with plenty of water - absolutely gorgeous. There are plenty of fish of all types in the Rebecca Creek landing area. They didn't cooperate so well yesterday - all of my spots where I caught fish during low water are now significantly changed - so I am starting over in my search for new brush piles holding fish. I may go to Lake Placid tomorrow and try to find a spot to hide from the jet skis and wakeboard boats. It may be another site seeing trip but I am interested in seeing what the water conditions are like.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/09/15 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Choupique
I was thinking of a trip to the Guadalupe (Lake Placid) yesterday. I changed my mind when I found out that all the ramps are open on Canyon (except 2, I think). I put in at Crane's Mill Park at about 2 - and the wind was howling. I went straight to the river where it was windy enough to stay cool by not too windy to control the boat. Talking about a beautiful boat ride - I have never seen it so green and the water upriver was absolutely beautiful. I motored up to about a half mile past Rebecca Creek with plenty of water - absolutely gorgeous. There are plenty of fish of all types in the Rebecca Creek landing area. They didn't cooperate so well yesterday - all of my spots where I caught fish during low water are now significantly changed - so I am starting over in my search for new brush piles holding fish. I may go to Lake Placid tomorrow and try to find a spot to hide from the jet skis and wakeboard boats. It may be another site seeing trip but I am interested in seeing what the water conditions are like.

Did pretty good on Placid this past Monday and Tuesday. Caught em 15 to 20 feet of water holding by drop offs. Not that many ski boats out on the times I was there. Fished from 7am up to 11am. I also heard reports that Wood Lake is picking up eapecially at night!

Side Note: I was using jigs and sliders Chartreuse/White.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/13/15 09:36 PM

Guadalupe crappie river fest is still in full swing! Catching some fatties! The water is still stained so, I continue to use the darker colors. Main river docks and brush piles seem to be productive. Have been using the slip rig set up to get the baits right where they need to be and using them mush like a popping cork at the coast! This year as been amazing and from Dunlap to Wood the bite is on!

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/14/15 02:03 AM

Awesome report Matt and some super fish. cheers Fished the western end of the river and did well today. Myself and Mike "USMC-GY" caught a mess of Crappie and Bluegill! The Crappie bite was from 6:30am till 9am. Fish were caught in 10 feet of water inside boat slips. The slips were also loaded with some nice fat Bluegill.Jigs (Chartreuse/pink)were the bait of choice. We kept a bunch for dinner! thumb

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/14/15 03:40 AM

Awesome! Glad you guys are on 'em too!

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/16/15 01:50 AM

Nice catch "Southtexasduckman" and Chuck! The bite is really picking up especially at night! woot
Posted By: Rockdodger00

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/17/15 01:44 AM

Good mess of crappie. Had some good times night fishing for crappie. Getting the itch.
Posted By: lookingfor25

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/17/15 02:26 AM

Very nice going guys

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/17/15 12:21 PM

Nice haul guys. Looks like the river lakes are finally clearing up. Hope to see more reports with some good fish.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/18/15 03:13 AM

Another SLABtacular day at the river! Fished from 4-8 caught 30. Several nice ones. This is one of two 14 3/4" slabs I released. I kept a few for dinner. Electric Chicken was the color of choice today. Fish were suspended bout 6-7' down in 12-15 water on laydowns.

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/18/15 12:40 PM

Bite is picking up. Getting good numbers fishing the far eastern end. Catching em in 12 to 15 feet of water holding close to brush piles and drop offs. Dock slips are also holding some nice fish. Jig em Jigs green in color and Crappie Magnets (Chartreuse/Black) are the baits of choice. Bite times for us were from sun up till 9:30am. thumb

Side Note: Nice fish Matt and a good report! cheers

Posted By: Jig Man

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/18/15 01:28 PM

Well done banker, looks like your still in um...fish

But as early as it is, woulda thought there would be some secret breakfast hole pichers... food

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/18/15 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Jig Man
Well done banker, looks like your still in um...fish

But as early as it is, woulda thought there would be some secret breakfast hole pichers... food

Granny D's Signature pancake! Got to love em! rockon

Posted By: Bob9

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/18/15 05:41 PM

Nice pancake and fish, Chuck!

Bob
banana
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/18/15 07:55 PM

Now thats a pancake... roflmao
Posted By: patweldon

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/19/15 03:40 AM

Good job.. Love crappie fishing

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/19/15 12:03 PM

Great Crappie fishing during the "Dog Days of Summer"! Good job guys.

Side Note: Got to love Granny D's! Great Place to Eat.

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/19/15 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: patweldon
Good job.. Love crappie fishing

Thanks guys for all the updates and reports. cheers The bite has been picking up. So far this summer has been a very good one. Stay safe out there and watch for the ski/wake boaters. thumb

Side Note: welcome Pat Weldon to the Texas Fishing Forum! Glad to have you on board! fish

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/19/15 08:06 PM

Son! It's pretty dang hot,but that didn't stop Jack (Slabseeker) and I from picking on the Eastern Guadalupe slabs! We started working brush piles in 7' of water using black and chartreuse and picked up a few fatties. Then we moved to deep water laydowns and brush piles 15' or so and really started to hammer 'em. We caught a good 25+ or so and ended up keeping 19 good ones. Good times!

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/19/15 08:47 PM

Matt fished the east side yesterday and boated over 50. Had some 8 and 9 inch fish which is a GREAT Sign for future fishing. We kept 20 of the nice ones.(12 and 13 inch) . Had a few that were almost 15". Nailed em inside boat slips that were in 10 to 15 feet of water. Jig em Jigs(Green in color) and Crappie Magnets (Chartreuse/Black) were the baits that worked the best for us. Fished from 7p till 11p. Boat traffic was heavy but after 8 it calmed down a lot! For the most part we stayed out of their way. Gonna hit the Bluegill trail early this week and then get back after the Crappie! Hope to do some night fishing very soon.

Side Note: Friends of mine say the late night bite from 11pm till 4am is very GOOD! Also night fishing is GOOD on the upper Guadalupe about an half mile up river. Fish under the lights by the timber.
Posted By: SlabSeeker

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/20/15 01:16 AM

I enjoyed fishing with you today Matt. Good times for sure.

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/20/15 03:49 AM

Stay on em "Southtexasduckman" Looks like you,Chuck and a few others are keeping the Guadalupe hopping! Enjoy reading up on the catches and the bite! Thanks for sharing.

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/21/15 11:21 AM

Nice Haul "Southtexasduckman"! I thought I saw you on the far east side last week. I was in a red/black skeeter.

Side Note: West end bite has picked up. Also it looks like the Logs Wood ramp on Mcqueeney has been improved. Friend of mine launched there yesterday and said it was a lot easier than in the past.

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/21/15 01:24 PM

Can anyone launch at that ramp? If so, where is it. I'd love to go chasing slabs on McQueeny.
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: A Crappie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/21/15 04:45 PM

that's an awesome pancake

Re: A Crippie Fest on the Guadalupe River! (Awesome Bite) - 07/22/15 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Southtexasduckman
Can anyone launch at that ramp? If so, where is it. I'd love to go chasing slabs on McQueeny.

Logs Wood Subdivision just of off FM 725. Anyone can use it. Was there last Thursday and saw two boat trailers parked. Ours made three! coolio
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum