Posted By: crb798

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/14/14 10:08 PM

Only but 12' and may possibly trim sum if needed fish
Posted By: ETXCrappie

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/14/14 11:13 PM

Nice crb
Posted By: texsam

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/14/14 11:14 PM

I did the same with my first ones .put them out and the lake dropped 2 ft. I am shure every boat on cedar creek has them marked now. now I build them first and cut them to 6to8feet.

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/14/14 11:26 PM

Ha that's no good at all man. Sam Rayburn has been doing decent on the water holding lately. Hopefully it continues. This is the first time I have sank my own piles. Hopefully we have good results. The fish are doing decent right now. Any Lil lay down tree or stump is holding a few. Hopefully these stack em up.

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/14/14 11:31 PM

How long does it usually take to see the fish showing up. I'm guessing not long cause the fish currently are showing up daily on structure
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/15/14 02:02 AM

3 days to 2 weeks, if there are fish in the area, they will be stacked up in those brush piles.
Posted By: ETXCrappie

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/15/14 02:47 AM

How long does bamboo last?
Posted By: sac-a-lait me

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/15/14 03:33 AM

Not as long as wood but it sure works the first and second years. I feel like they get mooshy after that and fall apart and get black soot which is decaying not growing algae. Bamboo has its advantages and disadvantages. Easy to work with and stands vertical but rots quicker and is more work in the long run. All of my boo I put out 3yrs ago is not there anymore but my oak piles are still going strong.

Just my couple cents worth

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/15/14 03:53 AM

Thanks for the info. I didn't figure it would out last wood either...but man it sure is easy and quick. I mainly am doing cause the fish are in the area and structure is sparse...
Posted By: mayor (crappiepete)

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/15/14 04:31 AM

What are the options on PVC???
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/15/14 02:07 PM

Those will work!
But for a little more effort, you could put something together that would last longer, that's why I used PVC. It'll last for ever, unable to see on sidescan & light weight. Mine are now holding fish.
Posted By: Skeeter Temp

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/15/14 05:23 PM

Luv the PVC trees they hold up very well!
Posted By: Mo

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/15/14 06:19 PM

My question has always been , If the fish are holding around the bucket , how do you
present a bait ?

Most of my fish come just off bottom , rarely do I find them holding in the tops.

Educate me , Please. smile

Mo
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/15/14 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: tboxfish
Those will work!
But for a little more effort, you could put something together that would last longer, that's why I used PVC. It'll last for ever, unable to see on sidescan & light weight. Mine are now holding fish.

True and you can drop a bale of hay or add some boo to the PVC.

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/15/14 11:17 PM

Lol, who here has ever tried to sink a bale of Hay?
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/15/14 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: crappiepete

i've put these on here b4...free bukits at fast food joints...pikil bukits...cheap landscape hose...2" pvc pipe...30 lbs cement...about $10 per tree...chunk'm n and they'll stand up and last furever
drill the holes as close 2gether as u want...these r 5 ft tall...holes 5 inches apart

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/15/14 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: crapyetr

i've put these on here b4...free bukits at fast food joints...pikil bukits...cheap landscape hose...2" pvc pipe...30 lbs cement...about $10 per tree...chunk'm n and they'll stand up and last furever
drill the holes as close 2gether as u want...these r 5 ft tall...holes 5 inches apart

I am liking these. we have been using 8 ft tall , 4 in drain pipe for vertical and 1 1/2 in for cross pieces. We are thinking of cutting them down to 4 ft. seems all are fish are right off bottom most all the time.

Mo

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/16/14 03:21 AM

MO I don't recall catching any fish off the bucket that held my old bamboo down when that's all that was all that was left. You and I need to get together so you can show me your tricks because I have ALOT of buckets. ....

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/16/14 02:46 PM

I'm glad you guys are having success with PVC, it just never seemed to hold very many crappie for me. I know sometimes (always) it's all about location. Bamboo doesn't last but 2 to 3 years & will need an additional new top to hold crappie to the area.

If you locate the Plumbing supply houses in your area they will sell you all of their scrap for $10.00 or so. Fork lift ran over the ends & such. So it can be bought cheaply & will last forever.

Posted By: crapyetr

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/16/14 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Mo
Originally Posted By: crapyetr

I am liking these. we have been using 8 ft tall , 4 in drain pipe for vertical and 1 1/2 in for cross pieces. We are thinking of cutting them down to 4 ft. seems all are fish are right off bottom most all the time.

Mo

1 time i ordered 1/4" landscape tubing from home depot (100ft for $5+/-) and put it between the 1/2" tubing...made it a little thiker lookin'...easy 2 drill holes n the 2" pvc and poke it thru...just another brainfart

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/16/14 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: sac-a-lait me
MO I don't recall catching any fish off the bucket that held my old bamboo down when that's all that was all that was left. You and I need to get together so you can show me your tricks because I have ALOT of buckets. ....

I am not saying the buckets hold fish by themselves, I am sure the bamboo holds a ton of
fish,
I just don't see how you fish under the bamboo. I need to learn your tricks ?

Are you fishing just the tops and sides of boo piles ? or weedless jigs and fishing
down inside the pile ?

As I've said many times , I am no expert, still learning after all these years. smile

MO
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/16/14 04:54 PM

[quote=sac-a-lait me]

As I've said many times , I am no expert, still learning after all these years. smile

MO

I hope I'm still learning till the day I die. Only a dead mind or a closed mind stops learning. While my mind will eventually be dead I hope it will never be closed to learning.

Re: quickly made habitats... - 12/18/14 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: ezgoing
[quote=sac-a-lait me]

MO

I hope I'm still learning till the day I die. Only a dead mind or a closed mind stops learning. While my mind will eventually be dead I hope it will never be closed to learning.

Shoot I bet a lot of buckets in an area would make a darn good bed for them buggers! Plus they'd be close to the bottom too.

MO I always fish above the structure if I can get away with it. If not then down into it i go (costs ya some jigs tho) I need to try some of them weedless jig heads.

I really like them pvc trees with the hose bet a fella could fit quite a few of them in a 14' lonestar wink
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum