Texas Fishing Forum

PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile

Posted By: marschall

PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/22/14 04:57 PM

Anyone ever used both? The ones we put in our slip last year are all but rotted out and gone. Was thinking of making some out of PVC this year.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/22/14 05:13 PM

PVC works great. If I had a slip I would use chain w/ PVC irrigation tubing stuck through the links. Then just hang it from your slip. I made one for a friends slip and he loves it.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/22/14 06:16 PM

You can also take a second bucket condo and shove it into the other to create a taller condo....It will fold the bottom pipes upward on the second condo when you shove it into the bottom one. Add screws to secure the top one to the bottom one.
You can always find good deals on buckets on craigslist and the pvc pipe I get from Lowes. 18 pieces of pvc per bucket. 2' pieces. The whole in the bucket you drill is 5/8 and the pvc pipe is 1/2 inch so it takes elbow grease to get it to go in but it won't be coming out either.
Good luck....

Single bucket condo
[Linked Image]
Double bucket condo
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/22/14 06:24 PM

I made some of these single bucket condos a couple years ago and have been catching fish off of them ever since. I like that it is low profile and does not show up well on other people's graph, even when it has fish on it.
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/22/14 08:16 PM

If I ever get to fish again I will find out.

One of my slip neighbors placed 14 xmas trees around his slip in January. He has a 18' x 50' slip so he had the room.

He told me I could fish his slip anytime he is not fishing it.

I placed 4 porcupine fish attractors on my slip last November.

So once I am able to fish again I will be able to see how xmas trees compare to porcupine pvc fish attractors.

I'm hoping that both are winners, as I will be real winner then. roflmao
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/23/14 01:40 AM

I have used both in a slip, and it will be a pvc product for me from now on. They both attract fish, but what I like the most about the artificial stuff is you can fish in the middle of it and bring a fish out. And it is easy to get a jig out with out hanging up. And it will be nice not having to replace it every couple years.
Posted By: marschall

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/23/14 07:39 PM

What I thought, I guess we will see soon.Gping down next weekend to put the in the slip. Biggest thing I heard was to sand the pvc so allgie would grow on it.
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/23/14 09:40 PM

maybe try something in a harder wood ?
it sure seems to me wood holds more fish than PVC
but then again it also holds more jigs as well roflmao
Posted By: ezgoing

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/23/14 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Ketchn
maybe try something in a harder wood ?
it sure seems to me wood holds more fish than PVC
but then again it also holds more jigs as well roflmao

Back in the 80's I fished a stake bed at Benbrook that always produced lots of nice crappie.

I can't say much about pvc since I have not been able to fish since I put out my pvc fish attractors.

But I saw a photo recently that showed how to make the wood stake beds. It used two sizes of pvc pipe to make a tool to insert the stakes into the lake bottom. When I get to fish again I am going to make one and place about 40 stakes in the middle of my slip.

Then I will see which attracts more fish, the three pvc fish attractors or the wood stake bed.

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/23/14 11:15 PM

This

+ This

= These

2lb and a 2.5lb 15 minute after dropping condo....

I dropped a single bucket condo and 15 minutes later after circling the 23 acre lake these ladies were on stage.
Posted By: horton5303

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/24/14 12:24 AM

That is a sweet deal you have going on there David! Just might be a 3 pounder in there...
Posted By: Sigav8r

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/24/14 12:51 AM

Nice!! I just got a couple buckets to make one. Is that a pond near your house?
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/24/14 01:03 AM

Thanks for posting the bucket condo. That is just what I need to do on a small lake that I fish.

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/24/14 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: TerribleTwos
Nice!! I just got a couple buckets to make one. Is that a pond near your house?

It is private HOA......
Posted By: Sigav8r

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/24/14 02:44 AM

Man, my HOA needs to step it up! I've fished my HOA ponds and mostly caught small catfish.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/24/14 01:30 PM

I have some free material I'm going to use. PVC retaining wall pieces, PVC pipe and rubber tubing. I plan to add some cedar into the mix. I'll post photos soon. Picked up some concrete and screws yesterday cheers
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/24/14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish

You can also take a second bucket condo and shove it into the other to create a taller condo....It will fold the bottom pipes upward on the second condo when you shove it into the bottom one. Add screws to secure the top one to the bottom one.
You can always find good deals on buckets on craigslist and the pvc pipe I get from Lowes. 18 pieces of pvc per bucket. 2' pieces. The whole in the bucket you drill is 5/8 and the pvc pipe is 1/2 inch so it takes elbow grease to get it to go in but it won't be coming out either.
Good luck....

Single bucket condo
[Linked Image]
Double bucket condo
[Linked Image]

This looks really cool and I going to try these out. I was wonder if some dog food in the open bucket with piece of wire mess on top would attract even more shad/crappie? Not in all them just one or two in the middle.

What do you think?
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: PVC vs. Real tree crappie bruch pile - 10/24/14 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by karpbuster
Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish

Good luck....

Single bucket condo
[Linked Image]
Double bucket condo
[Linked Image]

This looks really cool and I going to try these out. I was wonder if some dog food in the open bucket with piece of wire mess on top would attract even more shad/crappie? Not in all them just one or two in the middle.

What do you think?

Couldn't hurt, but be ready to catch some whiskered kitty's roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum