Texas Fishing Forum

Night time turnoff

Posted By: DalMichaelLas

Night time turnoff - 12/12/13 02:50 AM

I'm pretty much a night fisherman, catfisher at heart. Over the past year I have been getting more and more into crappie fishing. I live next to the LFB so I frequent it almost daily. Over the past week however, it seems the crappie just shut down at night. With maybe 1 or 2 caught after dark. The ones that have been caught are right off the bottom. So my questions are:
1. Is this behavior typical for this time of year?
2. Should I just give up on fishing them at night?
3. Are other lakes or areas on Lew. experiencing this pattern or is just another lewisville fishing barge fluke(there are many)?
4. Is there something I can do to catch more fish or increase my chances late at night? Ie. switching to minnows, going to deeper water, moving up in the water column.
5. Do you think they are moving elsewhere, or just not feeding?

This is my first real winter crappie fishing so I'm completely lost. The rest of the year they havn't turned off like this for such a significant stretch. Any and all input is appreciated and I'm eager to read what you pros think. Thanks!
Posted By: crope1

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/12/13 04:24 AM

someone will chime in
Posted By: Catfish-hunter

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/12/13 06:23 AM

Yup,guessing pretty soon. Close to 100 views.

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/12/13 06:24 AM

Is anyone else interested?

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/12/13 08:37 AM

I am! Guess the guys here do so well during the daytime,why fool around at night? Used to be fun. Lawn chairs,cold beer,telling lies around a small camp fire. Good times.Our real fishermen would leave when the bite slowed so they could go clean fish before too late,rest of us would wait for that "one more" fish. All night long! Wake up in your chair when the next days fisherman came to fish. Good stuff. At least as a teen.LOL

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/12/13 09:38 AM

"I hate fishing and texas, but love tff."

Whoa Bro! What's up with that as your signature?
Posted By: lookingfor25

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/12/13 11:34 AM

I think that most crappie docks or houses the bit slows at night only to pick up
in the morning and day light hours! Wish you luck! Also fish different depths may find them up shallower!

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/12/13 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: catfish-hunter
"I hate fishing and texas, but love tff."

Whoa Bro! What's up with that as your signature?

You're right, I don't hate fishing.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/13/13 01:53 AM

I have never fished for crappie at night during the winter. My guess is most crappie fisherman are exactly like me.

Reggie
Posted By: KMHendu

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/13/13 03:42 AM

You might want to change that signature.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/13/13 03:47 AM

I have done well in January-February at night. My buddies and I fished the creeks on Lewisville. We fished brush piles that lined the banks in about 8-12 feet of water. Used a dozen Coleman lanterns to light up the shore, a bon fire at our backs to keep us warm. Cane poles laid across the bush with Thill floats, a minnow on a 3' leader.
On other lakes I fished the creeks from a boat. Same set up, just no bon fire. We used 2 floating crappie lights, one aft/port the other bow/starboard and put out 8 poles all around the boat.
It was always a waiting game. but fish moved in fast enough to keep your interest up.
Posted By: ReckinIt

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/13/13 04:36 AM

DalMichaelLas I like the sarcasm in your signature. Which most people don't get. Fish in the day time just because that is how they are during this time of year.
If your are going to fish em at night, be sure to fish in a well lighted area as bait fish will go to, as I would be dead sticking right off the bottom.
If you want to know where they are as of this time of year, many people will tell you creeks! and its true! as you probably know, the schools of shad move up into the creeks, and many game fish follow.
Well that is all I can tell you. Don't really know the answers to some of those questions. Good Luck to you sir!

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/13/13 07:46 AM

"Crappie activity often occurs at evening twilight,then shuts off abruptly,and begins again in an hour or two. Crappie have a vision advantage over minnow prey during the twilight hours. They also have a vision advantage after dark--when their eyes have readjusted. In our experience,things usually slow down for a short time after dark."
Straight out of the book,Crappie Wisdom.
A lot of good info in there,just wish I was smart enough to understand what they're saying most the time.LOL
Posted By: jasoniam

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/13/13 12:05 PM

I am a bank fisher so night time fishing has always been more productive for me....to me it seems the crappie will move more upstream and shallow at night and a downstream early morning....at least at the spots I fish.....for me Crappie late evening and early early morning....hope this helps!

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/14/13 05:18 PM

Thanks for the input everyone! (except kmhendu) it's been incredibly slow after 10pm or so till dawn. When I say slow I mean maybe 1 or 2 (if that) crappie caught during this time with like 10-15 people fishing for them.

Looks like ill just stick to daytime, or find some creeks. Thanks again fellas!
Posted By: Bassman420

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/15/13 02:05 AM

I've been fishing at night since I work durning the day I fish until 3 or 4 am and have been limiting out. Best hrs for me are1am-3am about 2 ft of the bottom.

Re: Night time turnoff - 12/17/13 09:55 AM

Nice! what lake? how much fow?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum