Texas Fishing Forum

Golf course mini lake

Posted By: Bassman420

Golf course mini lake - 09/04/13 03:19 PM

Good morning, had one quick question. I fish a golf course that basically has a mini lake on it, it has huge bass in it but more important it also has huge crappie, I was wondering if I could take the crappie for the dinner table without fear of contaminants. I've heard yes and no. Any help woul be appreciated. Thank you
Posted By: GoldSpoonr

Re: Golf course mini lake - 09/04/13 04:18 PM

I would say No due to fertilizer run off....

But thats just me
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Golf course mini lake - 09/04/13 04:28 PM

I say you take me out there fishing and after I have caught 20 - 50 I could then give you a quantatative answer.

Only real way to know would be to have a few tested for human consumption. Heck, we should occasionally test the ones from the lakes because we still have plenty of contaminents/fertilizer that runs off into each lake (that is when it rains!!!).
Posted By: tshirtfan

Re: Golf course mini lake - 09/04/13 05:54 PM

Eat em up I say. Just fry em up good
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Golf course mini lake - 09/04/13 07:11 PM

No harm No foul....there are golf courses along many lakes. Acid Rain ect....Hell the cows have more poison in them than a fertilized pond on a golf course and we all eat that. Chickens ect....

But hey...I am with BlueNitro a field test is in order.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Golf course mini lake - 09/05/13 02:53 AM

Just give me the co ords and I`ll test the lake with my certified lake testing equipment.
Posted By: rexmitchell

Re: Golf course mini lake - 09/05/13 02:56 AM

Fertilizer run off into a giant lake with circulating water isn't even comparable to a pond with minimal circulation and a limited water supply. I'd venture to say that maybe those fish are giant because they have been getting pumped full of that fertilizer. I wouldn't risk it, just isn't worth it IMO.
Posted By: Shawty

Re: Golf course mini lake - 09/05/13 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Fertilizer run off into a giant lake with circulating water isn't even comparable to a pond with minimal circulation and a limited water supply. I'd venture to say that maybe those fish are giant because they have been getting pumped full of that fertilizer. I wouldn't risk it, just isn't worth it IMO.

So...
Fertilizer helps the grass grow. Fertilizer helps the grass stay green.
Fertilizer makes the crappie gigantic.
So based on this theory, then shouldn't they also be green?

I'm saying if the fish ain't green, eat'm.
noidea
Posted By: rexmitchell

Re: Golf course mini lake - 09/05/13 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Shawty
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

So...
Fertilizer helps the grass grow. Fertilizer helps the grass stay green.
Fertilizer makes the crappie gigantic.
So based on this theory, then shouldn't they also be green?

I'm saying if the fish ain't green, eat'm.
noidea

To each his own, my point was that comparing runoff into a lake/river is like comparing a bathtub to a tablespoon. I'm not eating golf course fish, plain and simple. If you or anyone else wants to, have at it. Be interested to see what the fish had in it if someone got it tested.......Are the fish green that are on lakes with consumption restrictions? Didn't think so.......no one would know the difference if TPWD didn't advertise it. Is it really worth the meal? Not IMO
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Golf course mini lake - 09/05/13 09:46 AM

several factors other than fertilizer might be present with a well maintained golf course ...
the fertilizer dont concern me as much as the pesticides and or herbicides that may have been used ...
the fish were probably never intended to be consumed ....
I would release em if it were me ...
and that's my 2 pennys on it
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum