Texas Fishing Forum

First time seriously crappie fishing.

Posted By: shadboy

First time seriously crappie fishing. - 08/24/13 08:10 PM

Well I told my self I was going to learn to crappie fish no matter how much it hurt. Since I gave up the big CC and got the yak there is no excuse not to target crappie sometimes.

Found a tree on Lavon 16 fow. Got some minnows and restrung some rods with 6# test.

Got there about 8:00 and not too long to catch a dink. Then a few more, then 4 keepers even though I didn't keep any.

Then 2 of these big boys.

Finally ran out of minnows so I knew it was time. Jigs flush

Was not confident to say the least. Then my first on a jig.

Wasn't a keeper but next one was.

That was a LOT of fun and I may have caught the fever. Caught 5 on jigs and missed a few bites. They wanted some movement and it took me awhile to figure it out but it was fun learning. I know next time I go and plan on keeping some I won't even sniff one.

Will probably be bugging you guys with questions the next few months so be easy on a rook like myself.

Bruce
Posted By: J.Spain

Re: First time seriously crappie fishing. - 08/24/13 08:13 PM

Hey great job bud looks like you had fun. Also nice pictures.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: First time seriously crappie fishing. - 08/24/13 08:18 PM

Yes Sir. Now you are hooked. cheers Nice Fish and a good report. Thanks for sharing. thumb
Posted By: lookingfor25

Re: First time seriously crappie fishing. - 08/24/13 09:26 PM

Way to go shadboyyyy
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: First time seriously crappie fishing. - 08/24/13 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: lookingfor25
Way to go shadboyyyy
thumb
Posted By: chucktx

Re: First time seriously crappie fishing. - 08/24/13 09:34 PM

excellent!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: First time seriously crappie fishing. - 08/24/13 09:52 PM

Once you get your confidence up in jigs, you won't need minnows any more.
The only thing I think about is the color of the water & what color jig do the fish want today. Experiment with colors, natural shad colors even translucent in really clear water. Use more color as the water gets more stained.

Jig size matters also depending on the size minnows the crappie are feeding o n.
Good Luck

Re: First time seriously crappie fishing. - 08/24/13 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Spiderman
Once you get your confidence up in jigs, you won't need minnows any more.
The only thing I think about is the color of the water & what color jig do the fish want today. Experiment with colors, natural shad colors even translucent in really clear water. Use more color as the water gets more stained.

Jig size matters also depending on the size minnows the crappie are feeding o n.
Good Luck

Thanks for the encouragement.

Spider,

That is my next question. I have found over the years that for sandbass color usually doesn't matter just size. Does color really make a difference on crappie? I know dumb question but I am here to learn from you guys.
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: First time seriously crappie fishing. - 08/25/13 12:15 AM

with crappie it is mostly finding them ....
color and jig size can matter .....
it depends on the time of day to sum degree
and the lighting ...
along with the water clarity ....
there is no special formula best I kan tell
best of luck to ya on the future endeavors ....
p.s. ....nice fish ...good job there
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: First time seriously crappie fishing. - 08/27/13 05:47 PM

Hey Shadboy great job I have promised myself to o the same thing , just as soon as I can get out of my financial situation I plan on getting a kayak also. tell me do you have a fishfinder setup on it or just going by training ? Again great job I hope to one day be out there with you.
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: First time seriously crappie fishing. - 08/27/13 07:10 PM

Good job thumb
I'm a converted ditch pickle slayer myself, now I can't get enough of the THUMP!
Keep at it & read a lot of posts! Nothing beats time on the water trying out the different methods you'll learn on here cheers
Posted By: texboxer

Re: First time seriously crappie fishing. - 08/27/13 11:49 PM

It can get addictive! cool

I wouldn't worry to much about color or size. It's really what you have confidence in. Every year I swear it's a different color they really want but I always use 1/8 oz feathered jigs and I never let the jig stay at one depth for more than a few seconds. I am always slowly raising and lowering it and giving it a twitch now and again. But that's just how I fish. Everyone should do it their own way...Hey, If it works, it works.cheers

Re: First time seriously crappie fishing. - 08/28/13 12:12 AM

Aquiles

I use a ff but I just saw a tree and tried it. However there are lots of trees on Lavon so a ff will let know depth. I still haven't found brushpiles yet but will need it to find those.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum