Texas Fishing Forum

How much do crappie guides make per year?

Posted By: Jacob

How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 01:09 AM

Always wanting to know my options later in life wink What do you have to do to get started?
Posted By: Laner

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 01:24 AM

Full time or part time?

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Guide Lane Palmer
Full time or part time?

Full time
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:00 AM

At least six figures a year, unless your up north.
Posted By: Huntin & Fishin

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Jig Man

You hiring?
Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:07 AM

doesn't matter; global warming will increase leaving us with mud puddles for the next generation.
Posted By: Guide Chuck Rollins

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:12 AM

Gross numbers can make it look as though there's some money in it. Then you figure in your boat, equipment, commercial liability insurance, fuel, & advertising there's not much left over. Can you make a living? Yes. Do you make 6 figures? NO WAY, not even close.
It's a fun job though.
Anyone can start a guide business. There are no restrictions to buying your license although there should be.

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:31 AM

So, there's no courses you have to take or anything? Like first aid? Legal tests? Nothing?

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:37 AM

Nope! Notta!

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:39 AM

Just looked on TPWD... So a $126 license and your a Freshwater fishing guide? surely not...
Posted By: 1tex

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:47 AM

Getting the license is the easy part.The hard part is producing fish day in and day out in all kinds of weather conditions which is essential to having a customer base.It doesnt take long for the word to spread about to many unsuccesful trips.Then you have to be part teacher,part entertainer,and part parent.The guys that last either have deep pockets to start with or they are good.My hats off to them!

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:49 AM

Now all you need is to pick up some bad habits, a dark tan, and some flip flops. Don't forget at some point the goal is to get customers too. Then do a good enough job that they actually come back for more. Sounds crazy huh?
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:54 AM

hahaha thats my buddy .....
he is that person .....
guides aint got it all that easy in my opinion ....
seems to be fairly hard work to me ....
but i do know he loves what he does for a living ....
Posted By: leanin post

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:57 AM

The only reason for the license is so they can get thier hand in your pocket .it has nothing to do with safety, ethics, legality ect. its the state of texas , taking money from you, like the mafia, before you can do business in this "free country" .

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:57 AM

Oh, not saying its easy by any stretch, just trying to figure out what startup cost would be like. I always had it in my head that there was some sort of big red tape to go through to get started.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 03:01 AM

I know I'm not cut out for it. I know on occasion the guides have to run into a jerk. If a jerk is in my boat, either them are me are most likely gonna get wet. Nope, I'm not cut out for it. flehanto those that are.
Posted By: jseago

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 03:10 AM

Jacob, how bout JJs cast and blast. Duck and crappie guides. Just don't reverse the two for the pitch "crappie duck guides"!

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: jseago
Jacob, how bout JJs cast and blast. Duck and crappie guides. Just don't reverse the two for the pitch "crappie duck guides"!

cheers

Sound like a plan! You could guide bass and ducks and I could do deer and real fish! bolt

grin
Posted By: jseago

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 03:19 AM

Shoot we'd waste our days hauling each other around to our best spots. Not much money changing hands!

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: jseago
Shoot we'd waste our days hauling each other around to our best spots. Not much money changing hands!

Ain't that the truth! I'd feel bad charging someone for what we'd put them through, but I know a guy that will give you a piggy back ride through the water if you don't have waders! That's a real guide!!! rolfmao
Posted By: tundra rich

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 03:25 AM

a man told me once..."son, if you find something you love doing you'll never work a day in your life!" same fella told me "donkeys are born everyday" with that said +2 on what bobcat said, lol.
Posted By: Huntin & Fishin

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: leanin post
The only reason for the license is so they can get thier hand in your pocket .it has nothing to do with safety, ethics, legality ect. its the state of texas , taking money from you, like the mafia, before you can do business in this "free country" .

Our guns 1st, then they will take our rods.
Posted By: tundra rich

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 06:04 AM

^^^yea thats where i draw the line! At that point i hope crappie fishing is good in Canada!
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 09:54 AM

I used to think being a guide would be the best job in the world! But, then I saw what all they do and how hard they have to work and the people they have to satisfy on a daily basis. Then I saw what their cost of operation must be and it made me change my mind to 'this has to be the toughest jobs' catagory!
Can you imagine having to take a couple of novice fishermen out every single day AND putting them on enough fish to make them happy campers? Man, I love crappie fishing but, no way do I want that kind of daily stress
Really think about all that is involved and I'm pretty sure you'll quickly decide that being a greeter at Wally World has it's advantages!!!! (or anything else for that matter)

And, if it's so easy, how come Ernest and Guy have retired?
And, Chuck is on here answering questions about someone wanting to be a competitor!!! Now, that is above and beyond! He just makes it look easy!
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 12:26 PM

I guided for 11 years...and yes, all you need to be a freshwater guide is $126 for the license, ~$40,000 to $75,000 for a good boat properly equipped, give or take $1000 for your 'customer' rods and reels (cause you're sure a h*** not gonna let them use your personal stuff), about $500 worth of various tackle, and don't forget about all the extra safety equipment and so forth, so that'll run you an extra $500 or so. Then after you get all that, you get to get up real early each morning, regardless of what you did the previous night or how late you stayed up. You get to launch your boat all by yourself (and you get pretty good at doing it in pitch black conditions). Oh, and don't forget your foul weather gear (and foul weather gear for your customers cause you really didn't expect them to have thier own now did you?) because you've gotta go fishing regardless of the weather, barring dangerous conditions.

Now you're ready to go. And by the way, don't forget the 90/10 rule. 90% of your customers won't know a thing about fishing in general, much less crappie fishing, and the 10% that do will still count on you to do everything. And of course, barring diper changing, you will certainly have to know adult baby sitting, cause not everyone will show up with a "cheery" attitude. And did I mention, you have to find and catch fish....every time, all the time.

Yes sir, I think everyone ought to become a fishing guide, because as Chcuk said, you'll make six figures...and then that damn 90/10 rule will kick in again, and you'll make your 10.
Posted By: Laner

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 01:23 PM

Full time: You get paid IF you catch fish. If you can pull good numbers for two parties a day, six days a week, for most of the year, you can make a living at it. The better you fish, the happier your customers, the more potential for tips. Six figures? Not hardly. Basically what your job boils down to is conquering Mother Nature on a day to day basis, and not making excuses when it's tough.

A part time guide is a good place to start. You can still make a living despite how the fishing goes, and it lets you see if you want to take the next step. I can say without hesitation that if Chuck hadn't shown himself to have put together arguably the best freshwater guide service in the state, I wouldn't have become a guide.

The fishing is by far the easiest part. By far. This is the most high pressure job I've ever worked, and I love ever second of it.
Posted By: RowdyRankin

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntin & Fishin

You hiring?

NO JOKE! I just drug up over here!
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: OkieBob
I used to think being a guide would be the best job in the world! But, then I saw what all they do and how hard they have to work and the people they have to satisfy on a daily basis. Then I saw what their cost of operation must be and it made me change my mind to 'this has to be the toughest jobs' catagory!
Can you imagine having to take a couple of novice fishermen out every single day AND putting them on enough fish to make them happy campers? Man, I love crappie fishing but, no way do I want that kind of daily stress
Really think about all that is involved and I'm pretty sure you'll quickly decide that being a greeter at Wally World has it's advantages!!!! (or anything else for that matter)

And, if it's so easy, how come Ernest and Guy have retired?
And, Chuck is on here answering questions about someone wanting to be a competitor!!! Now, that is above and beyond! He just makes it look easy!

Right on!

thumb
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:15 PM

I think Guy and Lane hit it right on the head! It really sounds like the best job in the world, you know, getting to go fishing every single day of the year?? Who wouldn't want that kind of a job?
But, when you understand, just a little of what they go through on a daily basis, you have to be a special person to put up with, let alone enjoy, the life of a guide!!!
My hats off to Guy, Ernest and all of Chucks crews! I wouldn't do it for twice what they make...let's see, twice nothing is still nothing!
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 02:31 PM

It's been many years since I was a guide, but you have to work your tail off and it takes several years to be able to have enough people coming back to stay busy all year around. When I did it the days were long and hard work, but I did also enjoy it a good bit. You better have enough money to help support you for a good while waiting to build up a clientele.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 03:09 PM

I always felt being a guide has to be one of the hardest jobs in the world. Just like a comedian you have to produce each and every day regardless who you are working with. Word of mouth is everything in that business and you don't produce you will be out of business pretty quick. They have the greatest office in the world but I can see it being a pressure cooker job.

Reggie
Posted By: SlabSeeker

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 04:11 PM

In my opinion, it's one of those jobs that it takes money to make money. What that means is people are naturally attracted to nicer things. So the person who has the best advertisement, posts the best reports and have the nicest boat and rods etc... Usually will do better than someone with a 2k-3k boat. And I am speaking from someone who has a lot of friends that are guides. Which are all good fishermen. I think the bottom line is customers need to feel comfortable about spending their money and they typically don't mind if they are getting their moneys worth. Think about it this way, all guides are generally about the same as far as pricing, the deal breaker is what are they spending their money on.
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 07:53 PM

Last thing I want to do is get a war started but the laws is you must have at least a OUPV do hire on corps water. The state of Texas has adopted the fed regs under safe water act. This is from the corps web site. A OUPV will let you cary up to 6 paying custmers on your boat at one time.

What will happen if I do work without getting a permit from the Corps?

Performing unauthorized work in waters of the United States or failure to comply with the terms of a valid permit can have serious consequences. You would be in violation of federal law and could face stiff penalties, including fines and/or requirements to restore the area.

Posted By: clay83

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 08:10 PM

I tried my hand at the crappie guide gig, I enjoyed most of it. I make a good living in the oil field so for me it wasn't about making a pile of money. I made some money and bought some upgrades for my boat and equipment. I was successful on most trips over the few years I was guiding, the few that didn't go well I offered them a 2nd trip. Most people you deal with are fairly understanding and you can enjoy the time on the water with them. That being said you will no doubt have a few that are a pain in the rear from the minute they get in YOUR boat. If you can't go out 8 out of 10 times and catch your own 25 fish limit the guiding is not for you, I was very hard on myself about sending people home without a limit or close to it. Some people are happy with paying money to catch some and learn alot but most will not be interested in learning but just taking home a cooler full of fish. Every single trip is different and learning how to adjust to weather, fish changing in a matter of minutes, and clients attitudes and so on is the hardest part. Plus, if you are good and can go catch a limit of fish somewhere between 25-100 fish a day, then the work begins. Skinning 50-100 fish everyday by yourself is a job in itself! I decided I made enough money without guiding so I stopped booking trips and I'm fishing to enjoy my time on the water. It's not a job for everyone and of all the guides out there most would tell you there are much easier ways to make a living but they still wake up and do it EVERYDAY. Good luck if you decide to take that step and I wish you the best.
Posted By: Crazy Angler

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 09:16 PM

My hats off to guides as well as tackle manufactures the rising cost of fuel and materials never stops! In manufacturing you get hit from all directions as well, I thought when we ran 250,000 baits that 1st year we were busy, now with 2 more workers will run over 2,000,000 baits this season. Basically if you spend 20,000 a year guiding or manufacturing the next season you could easily Spend 100,000 to clear 50,000 in either business it takes a bunch of capital and hard work !
Posted By: jdsharp

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 09:28 PM

Would you rather have a bunch of mandatory safety/legal classes that were put on by either gov't agencies or politically-connected no bid companies?

The state spends a lot of money on the fisheries. Guides have a much higher impact on the fisheries, per capita, than the average fisherman. It's a fair premium over the regular fishing license.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/24/13 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: jdsharp

Would you rather have a bunch of mandatory safety/legal classes that were put on by either gov't agencies or politically-connected no bid companies?

The state spends a lot of money on the fisheries. Guides have a much higher impact on the fisheries, per capita, than the average fisherman. It's a fair premium over the regular fishing license.
I personally think it's nothing more than them putting a hand in the guides pockets. Most guides I know do more for the lake, its environment, and the community that your average everyday fisherman. Just more bureaucratic red tape and taxes and fees. soap

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/25/13 12:15 AM

the state already does that to me for my HVAC license. I have to pay a goon to give a class every year, on things ive known for years.
Do you know exactly where the money collected from guide licenses actually goes? or do you just assume it goes to the fisheries., Have you ever heard of the term.,., government appropriations". ? The money collected for guide licenses can be used anyway they see fit, and may not go to the lakes at all.
People with attitudes such as yours who believe that its ok for the government to charge its citizens for everything they see fit, including the right to work, has been a ongoing conditioning of the general publics attitudes, that is slowly turning us into a dictatorship type, oppressed society.
Why should I have to pay my government for the right to work in my country?

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/25/13 12:51 AM

Well, I'm not saying I'm cut out for being a guide, but I have to handle the attitudes of middle/high school kids everyday. My whole job depends on getting teenagers to do exactly what they should at all times. Talk about high stress!!!
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/25/13 01:07 AM

Let's stick to the original question.

I don't know how much guides make, but it's not enough. If you really, really love to fish, and I mean love it so much you will fish on your day off, then you have what it takes to be a guide. Otherwise, in a few short months or years, you will no longer enjoy going fishing. It will become a job of drudgery, and you will decide you no longer like fishing. Guiding part time would be the best way to keep it from becoming a job.
Posted By: piscatur non solum piscator

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/25/13 01:49 AM

Two thirds of the earth is covered with water. Guides are a great and inexpensive way to catch fish without owning a boat. Limited regulations ensure competition and competition benefits everyone. Global warming will make Canada a more comfortable place to live.

Remember the Golden Rule...do unto others as you would have done unto you. And...Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Take those two to heart and you can earn a living doing just about anything.

Now what does all this have to do with catching crappie? Don't know but it's an interesting thread.
Posted By: dln1957

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/25/13 02:59 AM

Leanin Post, you're businessman right? Texas doesn't have a state income tax. So we have fees. How else do you pay for services - and don't say we don't have any.
Posted By: Brushlunker

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/25/13 03:48 AM

BigCrappie is top notch. Just putting it out there. Chris, Lane, Chuck and the whole bunch. Best guided trip I even went on. Oh and did I mention we caught fish. I knew how to catch em, just not on that lake. I know now..............
Posted By: jdsharp

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 01/25/13 02:54 PM

the state already does that to me for my HVAC license. I have to pay a goon to give a class every year, on things ive known for years.
Do you know exactly where the money collected from guide licenses actually goes? or do you just assume it goes to the fisheries., Have you ever heard of the term.,., government appropriations". ? The money collected for guide licenses can be used anyway they see fit, and may not go to the lakes at all.
People with attitudes such as yours who believe that its ok for the government to charge its citizens for everything they see fit, including the right to work, has been a ongoing conditioning of the general publics attitudes, that is slowly turning us into a dictatorship type, oppressed society.
Why should I have to pay my government for the right to work in my country?

Yes I have heard of appropriations. True an individual guide's license may not go to the lake they fish, but the license fees go towards conservation efforts 100%, I'm ok with that. This is supported by the quote from TPWD below.

My argument is not "that its ok for the government to charge its citizens for everything they see fit, including the right to work." My argument is totally an apolitical view of the economics of public goods. Guides (good ones at least) have a higher per capita effect on fisheries than the average fisherman and should pay for that effect on the fisheries. I know when I've used guides, I've caught a lot more fish than without them. Their expertise and incredible knowledge really helps fisherman put a lot more meat in the freezer than without the guides.

I agree with Ken Gaby, let's get back on subject. I would be happy to continue this discussion over PM if you would like.

From TPWD:

Did you know that 100% of your hunting and fishing license fees go to conservation?

It's true, 100% of your hunting and fishing license fees go to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department for on-the-ground conservation efforts that help make Texas one of the best places in the country to hunt and fish. Fish stocking, wildlife management, habitat restoration, land conservation, and Texas Game Wardens are just some of the initiatives funded in part by your license fees. Thank you for your investment in Texas' natural resources. For more information on the types of licenses available, where you can purchase a license, hunting and fishing rules and regulations, and much more, explore the links below.
Posted By: Larry in Tawakoni

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 03/25/13 09:46 PM

Good advice here.. nothing hardly to becoming a guide. But its not easy. If you have a nest egg to get started or can start part time your ok...and have the boat and equipment already because you love to fish....
If you had to buy a boat.. equipment, tackle... just to start a guide business... you'd never make it!
Posted By: WAWI

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 03/25/13 10:03 PM

I don't know how much they make but I would suggest you take a week off and fish everyday, be at the ramp launching at first light, fish till 3-4pm every day no matter the conditions. How many days are you on fish. How do you feel at the end of the week. I know that when I fish 3 days straight I need pills, sleep, etc. I cant imagine being on the water 250 days a year. It would get old real fast.

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 03/26/13 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: dln1957
Leanin Post, you're businessman right? Texas doesn't have a state income tax. So we have fees. How else do you pay for services - and don't say we don't have any.

they do not. BUT they require me to charge sales tax, keep tract of it, and hand it over to them, without and compensation for doing it whatsoever. Also when you register a business and get a tax Id NUMBER ,did you know that they sell your business name to mailing lists for profit? And you have no choice in the matter. So as your trying to get your fledgling business off the ground, you get inuated with a bunch of other people trying to get thier hands in your pockets. I know how the game works, ive been in business for over 12 years. Look on the TEXAS DEPT OF LICENSING AND regulations website and see how many professions are required to be licensed ., from barbers, to auctioneers. its all about control, and money, not promoting free enterprize.What is a barber going to do? give someone a very bad haircut, and ruin them for life. ?? I know the game because I live it. what do you do for a living?
Posted By: C.M.Fish

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 03/26/13 01:17 AM

Too soon? rolfmao rolfmao peep
Posted By: PKfishin

ketchn - you need to be guiding - 03/26/13 01:26 AM

I saw those big ole stringers of crappie you caught.
Posted By: monster crappie

Re: ketchn - you need to be guiding - 03/26/13 03:17 AM

Being a fishing guide requires much more than
just being able to boat fish on a daily basis.
The key is to have the right personality.
Keeping the clients entertained and excited when
fishing is slow is critical. I strive to make my
guests feel like they have known me all their life
and we are just a couple of buddies enjoying a day
on the water. This is my 3rd year guiding and I have
guided aprox. 200-250 trips so far. Only once did I
have a client that I really did not care for. He knew
everything about everything and was basicly telling
me how to fish. I just smiled and did things the way
wanted.
As far as money goes... its a tough way to provide
for a family. The cost of fuel, bait, tackle, and boat
upkeep are very high. If I had to "start from scratch"
with a new boat, tackle, etc. I dont think that I could
make enough to survive.

The hardest part of being a fishing guide is catching
clients. If anyone has tips or suggestions for marketing,
advertising, please send me a pm.

All this being said, the excitement on the face of a child
or adult catching a bunch of fish for the first time
is why I do this. I know that God is looking out for me
and He will provide all that I need.

If you have not been on a trip with me, give me a try.
We will catch lots of fish and have a blast doing it.

www.thecrappieking.com

Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: ketchn - you need to be guiding - 03/26/13 04:00 PM

Guiding, what a great job. Get to fish everyday, rain or shine, produce whether they are biting or not. Build new brushpiles only to find former customers sitting on them everytime you visit.

Most of the fishermen that get in your boat are nice guys, but not all.

Get to clean a bunch of fish in the hot sun or cold wind at the end of each trip.

Few of your customers know much about Crappie fishing so the guide has to catch most of the fish. (That doesn't please many folks)

My hat's off to Chuck & Big Crappie.com for a well run organization. They do a great job.

I tried guiding for several years and found that traditional guiding was not for me. I really enjoy teaching folks how to fish and the only trips that I book now are for instructional type fishing trips. We can spend time learning where & how to Crappie fish and use of electronics whether the fish cooperate or not.

Re: ketchn - you need to be guiding - 03/26/13 07:09 PM

Thanks Ernest, we certainly try to be the best at what we do. It's not always easy keeping everyone happy when conditions are tough, there's lots of reasins why. We have made a huge investment in boats and employees. We depend on trips to make a living. We've been very blessed and fortunate to be able to grow the way we have. I'll never forget the first customer I ever had. I was so amazed that someone actually paid me to take them fishing. Almost ten years later I've taken thousands of people on trips. It's become a way of life. So far I've enjoyed the adventure.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: ketchn - you need to be guiding - 03/26/13 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: RowdyRankin
Originally Posted By: Huntin & Fishin

You hiring?

NO JOKE! I just drug up over here!

Hadn't opened this un in awhile. Believe it or not I was being a smart arss. I hunted and fished for a living when I was a young man, and in all honesty I hope I don't need to do it again. But I would if I had to. Met some great people and had some good customers. But the days were waaaaaaay to long for me know. Six figures, NOPE, but it put diapers on my kids and shoes on their feet when they needed them.
Posted By: jig master

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 03/26/13 10:00 PM

They Don't Make enough....
Posted By: LSUANDY

Re: How much do crappie guides make per year? - 03/29/13 08:28 PM

Most folks wanna relax and enjoy their retirement. If u like getting up everyday at 4 am, and dont mind fishing all day in the heat and/or wind with people that dont know how to fish and may have an attitude. Then guiding is for u. After doing that all day as a bonus u get to clean and process all the fish and then clean up your boat, and yourself. Sound fun yet? If so great because u get to do it again tomorrow, its even more fun when your customers break your equipment or damage your boat and then complain all day that they didnt catch enough fish.
Its a very tough way to make a living, even when u get good clients and the weather and fish both cooperate.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum