Texas Fishing Forum

Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last?

Posted By: JMBruce

Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/04/12 03:25 PM

If you have fish in the freezer packaged in ziplock bags in water how long will it last to still be good to eat?

Thanks

Posted By: C.M.Fish

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/04/12 03:42 PM

I've heard that as long as the fillets are encased in the ice...they can be good for up to a year since and won't freezer burn but I don't know 1st hand because they never make it that long at my house. I'd say you are definitely safe for 6-8 months though...

Posted By: nappr

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/04/12 03:44 PM

I had 4 whole bone in crappie in freezer for a year.
They ate just fine fried.

Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/04/12 04:26 PM

I'm ashamed to admit it but I've kept them over two years in food saver bags. They were as good as any that have been frozen.

Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/04/12 04:39 PM

Cooked my last package from last year with some fresh this past Sunday and you couldn't taste the difference...

Posted By: pepop

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/04/12 05:43 PM

True story, when my mother passed away, my sister cleaned out & organized mom & dad's freezer & she found 1 of my zip lok block"s of ice marked "12 Med Crappie filets 10-15-06". This was in Dec of 2010. She thawed them & cooked them for her & my dad & she said they were great. I use a Food Saver now and 1 year old packages are not uncommon and fry up as good as yesterdays catch.

Posted By: tricky

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/04/12 07:51 PM

I use to have some friends that would catch Crappie and freeze them whole - no cleaning at all in trash sacks. Take them out in a few months, thaw, clean them and fry them up.
Have you guys ever heard this or even done it?

Posted By: Tech Angler

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/04/12 08:03 PM

i've heard the same thing, tricky.

Posted By: Creamlevel Creek Kennels

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/04/12 10:42 PM

We catch crappie all year long. I don't keep the fish if I have a couple of packs in the freezer. We have aa fish fry, then I keep another bag. Never have more than 2 bags of fish in the freezer, always fresh, which usually will be cooked within the month.

keith

Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/04/12 10:47 PM

theyll be good as long as they stay frozen hard. if they even defrost a little bit, theyll be nasty when you take them out to eat them

Posted By: PfishingTexas

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/04/12 11:27 PM

At my house, not long at all. Most of the time they don't even make it to the freezer.

Posted By: reelin-em-in

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/05/12 12:09 AM

Not very long at my house... food

Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/05/12 12:11 AM

I couldn't tell you. Mine is empty right now. frown

Posted By: ZackP

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/05/12 01:03 AM

I make sure that nothing is in the freezer for over a year. I get alot of requests for fish from family and friends so I like to keep a good supply on hand. I have not had any issue so far but it usually only last a few months at most.

Posted By: Don Collum

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/05/12 02:05 AM

Idefintley A long time if frozen and keep that way in ice.
I have had an senerio like PEPOP and you would have thought they were a fresh catch.

Posted By: Denton Pond Jumper

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/05/12 09:22 AM

I have a old food saver that I have used for years on fish the key for me is no AIR at all in the bag. If the fish is frozen in water and no air can get to it the good for a year or more. I look for frost on the fish If I see that then freezer burn is next time to eat it. Its that freezer burn that gets me YUCK!

Posted By: Thump My Jig

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/05/12 10:55 AM

completely covered in water to prevent freezer burn, 2 years!

Posted By: WATERBOY75686

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/05/12 11:42 AM

Just like "Thump my jig" says. The secret is "no air, full of water". I have fillets that are two years old, and absolutely no difference in taste from the fresh ones, coming out of the grease. I use the "zipper bags", fill with water, and squeeze out all the air.

Posted By: J.Money

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/15/12 06:55 AM

I'm new to the game.
What if just in zip lock with no water & frozen?
Crappie - Sand Bass - Cat fish.

Posted By: sam sam the mex

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/15/12 01:35 PM

I freeze mine in water too!!! Though most my fish do t last long in the freezer!!! I don't have a boat so I get the crappie durring the spawn. Ate my last bag a few weeks ago before I started cat hi g them a gain and couldn't tell it was a lil over a year ago!!

Posted By: craigo

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/15/12 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: J.Money
I'm new to the game.
What if just in zip lock with no water & frozen?
Crappie - Sand Bass - Cat fish.

I fried a bunch this weekend dated 4/29/2011 along with some fresh ones and you couldn't tell which were which. No water in bags whatsoever. The key is to get all the air out. It works for a long time with or without water as long as there's no air.

Posted By: gillnet1

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/18/12 03:39 AM

I fill it up with water and squeeze all the air out and can make it last 2 years in the deep freeze if i don't eat it first!

Posted By: BigMack

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/18/12 06:58 PM

I dont like keeping it past 6 months then if I hve enough We throw a neghborhood fish fry and everybody comes to help eat it up
cheers

Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/18/12 09:24 PM

It didn't last long enough in my freezer. crying

Posted By: Kid Chuckles

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/19/12 01:44 AM

That video of the kid running from the fish is one of the funniest things i have ever seen i busted a gut rofl.

OH A LONG TIME

Posted By: fish4bass

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/22/12 04:35 PM

I always heard six months in a refrigerator freezer and a year in a sub-zero deep freeze. I freeze mine in water too.

Posted By: Joe Angler

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/22/12 08:14 PM

Got the "official" facts from the USDA's website, here you go:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/Focus_On_Freezing/index.asp#12

8-12 months "for quality," otherwise it says food frozen at 0 degrees is safe indefinitely.

Posted By: RowdyRankin

Re: Fish in the Freezer...How Long does it last? - 04/23/12 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: PfishingTexas
At my house, not long at all. Most of the time they don't even make it to the freezer.

Diddo

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum