Texas Fishing Forum

Navarro Mills

Posted By: Doug Martin

Navarro Mills - 02/28/11 08:16 PM

Anybody doing any good in the boat slips at Liberty Hill, or below the dam, or at Oak Park? I'd appreciate any help, thanks!
Posted By: crappie_hook

Re: Navarro Mills - 02/28/11 08:40 PM

Like to know the same.. When they turn back on at NM marina I'm planning on staying down there a couple days. Hopefully in the next 2wks they'll be on
Posted By: waldo69

Re: Navarro Mills - 02/28/11 09:06 PM

is the docks the best place to catchem
Posted By: RedTopLady

Re: Navarro Mills - 02/28/11 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: waldo69
is the docks the best place to catchem

Dock at the marina is a really good place to load up, but when they are there in numbers, so are the people. A couple of weeks ago I was told there were so many people there the line was long getting in the gate when the park opened and one of the narrow slots between the seats which really has only enough room for about 3 people to fish comfortably, there were 16 people fishing in that one spot. That would be very frustrating for me. I do not like to fish elbow to elbow and everyone tangled up everytime someone hooks a fish. There are lots of brush piles around the dam. Then Crappie Point is also a good place to catch them from the bank, as long as the water level is up. I have never had good luck from the bank unless the level is up. And, last time I checked, the water level was still holding good.
Posted By: Eldon V.

Re: Navarro Mills - 02/28/11 10:19 PM

Hi; Red Hat Lady:
I have seen little from you for some time. Glad you are up and running. I hope all is well with you.
Posted By: r63pappy

Re: Navarro Mills - 02/28/11 10:24 PM

Aquilla in the mornin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: hunter1st

Re: Navarro Mills - 02/28/11 10:54 PM

Me and the family are headed to Navarro Mills (Liberty Hill) for the first time in a couple of weeks for Spring Break. Anyone want to suggest some areas for crappie? Not looking for secret spots, just a starting area. We'll have my Whitney/Aquilla boat, so access isn't an issue.

Also, may do some catfishing from the bank in the evenings, any good shad netting spots on the lake?

OR- would it be better to just head over to Aquilla for the crappie?

Thanks for the responses in advance.
Posted By: crappie_hook

Re: Navarro Mills - 02/28/11 11:22 PM

i would imaging theyll be on the banks for spring break..finding them shouldnt be hard....
Posted By: Keith Speer

Re: Navarro Mills - 03/01/11 01:03 AM

NM is up a little... one small gate open at the dam..
Go to Google Earth & check out all these places.. They are all good fishing from the bank in the spring...

Oak Park: 31^ 58.022'N - 96^ 41.908'W
Near Oak Park: 31^ 57.622'N - 96^41.500'W
Wolf Creek Park: 31^ 56.981'N - 96^ 42.952'W
Liberty Hill Park: 31^ 56.949'N - 96^ 42.837'W
Marina: 31^ 57.005'N - 96^ 43.349'W
Posted By: Doug Martin

Re: Navarro Mills - 03/01/11 03:32 PM

Hunter1st, the best place I've found for catfish off the bank is off the rocks near the dam on the Liberty Hill side. For shad, try the aerator at the north end of the dam; it's outside the roped-off area by the release gates. For crappie, try along the point opposite the Liberty Hill boat slips; also along the dam; and up the creek in Oak Park, especially across from the fishing dock.
I think it's still a bit early to get crappie in numbers; we've always done best mid-March thru mid-April.
Hope this helps - good luck!
Posted By: hub_cap

Re: Navarro Mills - 03/01/11 08:26 PM

Was down to NM on Sat. from about 12 noon to 6:30...the fish were not biting in Wolf Creek on Sat afternoon (heard they'd been biting there last weekend). Started fishing Crappie Pointe around 1:30, and wound up with 14 by dark. Caught em on the Bobby Garland Cajun Cricket color using a 1/8 oz jig head, with a char. crappie nibble. The fish were down in the brush up until around 5pm...then they started moving around a bit. The darker it got, the better they started biting on minnows. The minnow fisherman were fishing around 4 ft deep. Also -- the darker it got --- the closer to the bank the fish bit. Hope this helps....
Oh -- out of the 14 that I caught most were males. Caught two really nice sized fish, the others were a disappointment -- only 10.5 - 12.5 inches. (seemed really small for Navarro Mills to me)
Posted By: DPDALAN

Re: Navarro Mills - 03/01/11 09:37 PM

Me and the wife had a week of vacation and fished NM every day last week. Started on Sat 19th. Lots of fish in the creek next to wolf creek park, the locals call it tin creek. Limits possible if you stayed all day. We never topped 20 in a day. They said they were killing them in snake creek. The creek bite shut off after the front moved through. Found a few on the points suspended at 10 feet in 20 feet of water. Minnows seemed to do better. The barge was good Fri 25th but slow Sat 26th, but did catch a 16 incher, long but slim.
Posted By: hunter1st

Re: Navarro Mills - 03/02/11 01:37 AM

Thanks all for the helpful hints. I'll post up what we find, me wife and three tenagers we should find something. Fun if nothing else.

Doug.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum