Texas Fishing Forum

Where did all the females go?

Posted By: Slab_Rookie

Where did all the females go? - 02/19/11 04:41 AM

I went out to Lewisville this morning. To the same spot where I limited the week before. According to the guys who were there when I arrived, there were plenty of limits hit there yesterday. And yet in five hours fishing I only took home five crappie from this spot today, all of which turned out to be males. Should I infer from this experience that the crappie in this spot have moved on to spawn?

Location Info: Creek, 20ft deep, 57 degree water temp, lots of timber.
Posted By: Eastexn

Re: Where did all the females go? - 02/19/11 04:44 AM

Being Crappie, You can infer that they have just moved on...
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Where did all the females go? - 02/19/11 04:58 AM

I'll know more tomorrow. grin
Posted By: crappie_hook

Re: Where did all the females go? - 02/19/11 11:11 AM

57 degrees...i would infer that it is possible. however the males would be the first to move out t? of the males u cleaned did they have their sperm sacks developed yet? and of the females u have been cleanin lately, how did their egg sacks look? if theyre deep yellow w red veins all around em, and almost oozing...theyre ready...if not they probably have just moved to a staging area like most are right now
Posted By: r63pappy

Re: Where did all the females go? - 02/19/11 12:38 PM

well, i am going to wal-mart to get my high dollar gear.then at 5:00 p.m. today i'm goin to get a limit at aquilla.oh ! & theres no doubt about it i will limit out tonight.I THAT GOOD !!! LOL
Posted By: r63pappy

Re: Where did all the females go? - 02/19/11 12:39 PM

AQUILLA WATER TEMP FRIDAY WAS 61.4.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Where did all the females go? - 02/19/11 04:13 PM

I only caught females yesterday in 20ft of water. Not a male among the eight I put in the boat. I suspect the females will be pre-stagging in 10ft of water within the next couple of weeks.

Reggie
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Where did all the females go? - 02/19/11 05:04 PM

I have heard that there is a period of time in late February that the fish get very hard to catch/dissappear. I think that's what happening now. They are in transition... plus the moon has been full. The water has warmed 22 degrees in a week. I imagine they are in shock some. If the weather holds out they should be shallow soon.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Where did all the females go? - 02/20/11 02:05 AM

I think we are rushing spring. I'm pretty mother nature has a couple more cold fronts in store for us. They will be on the beds soon enough.

Reggie
Posted By: Crazy Angler

Re: Where did all the females go? - 02/20/11 02:09 AM

You need to be fishing the northern most end of Your lake thats where their at been their since Tuesday on Our local waters limits of 2.5 lb plus crappie
Posted By: Wylie Crappieman

Re: Where did all the females go? - 02/20/11 01:29 PM

They went Shoppin!! LOL!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum