Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts COE brushpiles

Posted By: Stumphumper

Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/22/09 07:05 PM

Hey guys! My name is Tawrence Griffin. Me and a buddy of mine joined CAT at the last meeting in Sept. Im a die hard crappie fisherman and happy to be apart of the club. I have been trying to get ahold of a map with accurate GPS cords for Ray Roberts COE brushpiles, if I purchase a navionics map card will those cords be accurate or will they even be on the card? Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys
Posted By: Brian Spagnola

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/22/09 07:48 PM

PM Ernest Paty.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/22/09 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Brian Spagnola
PM Ernest Paty.
+1 thumb
Posted By: SheldonS

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/22/09 09:06 PM

Hello and welcome.

The COE BPs are not on the Navionics chip. The only published map that really has them is the Martins Map but is use the 1927 Datum for the waypoints.

Therefore when you plug those waypoints into your graph you could be off from 100 to 200 yards or more because your GPS will be using WGS84 as a datum.

There are a couple of ways around this but the two posters above me may have the simpliest remedy. laugh
Posted By: BigMack

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/22/09 09:13 PM

Per the previous posts above, Ernest handed out a list of confirmed waypoints for RayBob a few meetings ago. thumb
Posted By: stretch

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/23/09 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BigMack
Per the previous posts above, Ernest handed out a list of confirmed waypoints for RayBob a few meetings ago. thumb

and atleast 15 of them are very accurate on the west arm as I hit them sunday morning. I have the coords on an sd card if Ernest is ok with giving them out.
Posted By: HonkyVoodooFishing

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/23/09 07:26 PM

The Lowrance maps have many of the COE brushpiles marked...look for little black squares with nothing in the center.

As mentioned above the datum used at the time has caused some error.

Most current model GPS units use WGS 84 as a default.
Posted By: Mark Priddy

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/23/09 08:34 PM

You can switch your GPS to nad 27 find the pile change it back to wgs84 then remark the spot.I have a hand held that just stays on nad27 and one that stays on wgs84 . Some of the cords on the martan maps are right on and three of the piles I could not find after hunting meany times. With Ernest cords I found all three first time.
Posted By: Lund17.5

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/24/09 12:44 AM

Fellas (and Ladies) - I hate to be overly conservative here but my opinion on sharing the LL COE brushpile waypoints is that the gentleman should contact Mr. Paty through the normal channels and that those of us who aquired them from Ernest not provide them directly to others.

All best,

Lund 17.5
Posted By: Lund17.5

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/24/09 12:45 AM

Sorry - I meant RR brushpiles.

Lund 17.5

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/24/09 12:54 AM

That was the agreement as I remember it.
Posted By: Mark Priddy

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/24/09 01:33 AM

Just try to gitem from me. duel
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/24/09 01:41 AM

What is this about Coe brushpiles? Does the corps of engineers actually put brushpiles out on lakes to attract fish? I have never heard of one or seen one on Belton or Stillhouse hollow lakes here in central Texas. Generally the corps interest is in maintaining the conservation pool and other related matters. I didnt know they assisted in wildlife managment. Am I understanding this correctly?
Posted By: Brian Spagnola

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/24/09 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: leanin post
What is this about Coe brushpiles? Does the corps of engineers actually put brushpiles out on lakes to attract fish? I have never heard of one or seen one on Belton or Stillhouse hollow lakes here in central Texas. Generally the corps interest is in maintaining the conservation pool and other related matters. I didnt know they assisted in wildlife managment. Am I understanding this correctly?

I heard they have huge parties on friday nights and fry up all the fish they take away from people wothout fishing licenses or enough life jackets.
Posted By: crappie_hook

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/24/09 02:33 AM

Spagnola.. since when does the COE have anything to do with taking fish, checking licenses, or checking for life jackets?? I thought that was TPW.. funny comment, but I think the guy was trying to learn something.
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/24/09 02:49 AM

When the lake basin was cleared the COE bulldozed the trees into huge piles and cabled them down. When the lake filled that created 54 big brushpiles. Great fishing at times.

Doesn't happen everywhere.

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/24/09 02:49 AM

When the lake basin was cleared the COE bulldozed the trees into huge piles and cabled them down. When the lake filled that created 54 big brushpiles. Great fishing at times.

Doesn't happen everywhere.
Posted By: crappie_hook

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/24/09 02:55 AM

they did Cooper the same way, not near as many though. those big piles at cooper used to be good crappie fishing.
Posted By: stretch

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/24/09 09:34 PM

does anybody have pictures of the lake before it was filled?
Posted By: Stumphumper

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/25/09 02:17 PM

Thanks guys for all your advice! I recieved the map from Jimmy Loenard, I think this will help me out a lot. I dont fish Ray Roberts that much but it will raise my confidence knowing that I have some kind of info to go by to find those brush piles. Thanks again to Jimmy!
Posted By: BigMack

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/25/09 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Stumphumper
I recieved the map from Jimmy Loenard. Thanks again to Jimmy!

Hey Ernest, I'll hold Jimmy down and you can take his wallet out for the $20.
He may be younger and faster than us but if we corner him we got him. boxing
It just ain't right handing out Paul's, I mean, your spots for nuthin'!
stir
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/25/09 03:24 PM

It just ain't right handing out Paul's, I mean, your spots for nuthin'! stir

scared bolt
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 08/28/12 03:47 PM

Quote:

Those two are older lakes and I don't know how much brush clearing they did when building them, but yes its true the corp does cable down some of the cleared trees for fish attrators while their being built. Navarro mills for example all the corp piles have rotted away and its about as old as stillhouse and belton.
Posted By: angus56

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 08/28/12 11:37 PM

Go to Academy, BP, Cabelas and buy the map for RR. they are all on the map. If you have an SI unit you can't miss them they are as big as a box car.

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 08/29/12 01:00 AM

They are on the maps but are not accurate. I have the accurate ones available free to anyone that wants them. If you already have them feel free to share them. it's all about helping each other. That's why CAT was formed.
Posted By: Ketchn

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 08/29/12 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: ERNEST PATY
They are on the maps but are not accurate. I have the accurate ones available free to anyone that wants them. If you already have them feel free to share them. it's all about helping each other. That's why CAT was formed.

ernest is right ,,,,them maps aint accurate ......
i heard that a few times from other people .....
and a friend checked them and said the locations were all 50 yards or more off the map locations .......
Posted By: Flipp

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 08/29/12 02:23 AM

+1 Yup.They ain't where they say.Look around it,you'll find them cowboy
Posted By: spudmaster88

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 08/29/12 10:15 PM

Now that's what is all about, fellow crappie men helping each other out. True gentlemen Ernest.
Posted By: Scottabbott

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 08/30/12 09:33 PM

I would love them Ernest. Heading out this weekend with my little 4 year old and would love to put him on fish.

Thanks if possible...if not...totally understand.

Scott
Posted By: GoKart Mozart

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/06/12 01:08 PM

Ernest Sent you a PM thanks

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/06/12 05:58 PM

Send e-mail to catchcrappie@aol.com with request.
Posted By: T-Rig Ranger

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/06/12 08:24 PM

Thanks Ernest. I really appreciate your help. May good karma come your way.
Posted By: ER74

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 09/07/12 11:52 AM

I have not had the luxury to meet Mr. Paty but have heard many people around lewisville talk great things about him. Looks to be all true!
Posted By: BillRR

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 05/10/14 09:17 PM

Hi,I am new to ray roberts and this forum. I was told at they local fishing shop that you might share gps data for brushpiles. If so I would really appreciate the information. I dont know how you send information but would be glad to compensate you for your time for the information.
Posted By: AggieKenny

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 05/10/14 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: BillRR
Hi,I am new to ray roberts and this forum. I was told at they local fishing shop that you might share gps data for brushpiles. If so I would really appreciate the information. I dont know how you send information but would be glad to compensate you for your time for the information.

Look a couple of posts up, he has his email address. Email him, he replies pretty quick.
Posted By: Ameagle

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 06/21/16 12:18 AM

Hello Folks I am new to this Forum and looking for the GPS coordinates for the COE brush piles. I was told to PM Ernest Paty but I am a Newbie to Forums and I do not know how. I bought a New Humminbird Helix 7 and want to put GPS coordinates on it to help me find those finicky Crappie.

Ernest Paty if You are reading this Please send me an E mail.

Thanks, Guys and Gals

1994 Tracker Panfish (Customized Just the way I want it)
40 HP Merc
Humminbird Helix 7SI
Posted By: Sigav8r

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 06/21/16 02:32 AM

The hook n line map has Ernest's list of coe piles in the most recent version. His private list....that'll cost ya! welcome
Posted By: Lazy Ike

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 06/21/16 01:23 PM

spag, kinda funny, corp has nutt n to do with law enforce T P & w job I have pics & co ord. of piles corp put in before lake opened, he he sure killed a h#@%*%ll of a lot ducks there years ago.
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 06/22/16 04:18 AM

Miss you Mack! Wow, this post reflects what the old TFF used to be. It's like a time capsule!

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 06/22/16 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Stucky76

Miss you Mack! Wow, this post reflects what the old TFF used to be. It's like a time capsule!
Yup, Big Mack was a goodun.
Posted By: YSanchez

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 11/25/16 05:27 AM

Just moved back to Denton area after about fifteen years away. Used to fish RR a bunch and frequently the Brush Piles.

There are more than a few BP's that are more than a few yards off the marked site. There are also a couple that are not there in spite of being designated. My problem with the BP's was back in the day that they are located in areas that are really close to Launching Ramps and therefore you are going to be fighting jet skis, water skiers, and ~shudder~ joy riders. Not that those folks do not have a right to the lake too, just saying that it is hard to drown minnows or dance jigs if you are getting bunches of folks ripping by just a few yards away.

I had my best luck if I was fishing open water was to drown a couple of hay bales or other home made piles out of the way of the folks not fishing.

My question is are the big COE BP's still holding fish or have they rotted away?

I am usually the poster boy for those who rag on the COE for going out of their way to screw things up but I have to give them credit for the way they built RR. By that I mean they did not bulldozed and then burn every piece of timber on the lake but rather leaving a bunch of timber standing and what they knocked down a big portion of them them were created into fish cover. If you cannot catch fish on RR then you just cannot catch fish. Of course that info is dated but I still feel confident I could catch a few on good ol RR.

Another poster made reference to shooting ducks on RR and I am hear to attest that it used to at least be a great duck hunting lake, IF you invested some time in scouting. I am confident that my old duck hunting holes would still produce since they were mostly dependent on the lake being at Pool Level. I am going to get out in the next couple of weeks to find out.

Back to crappie fishing I used to do my best work on Indian Creek which was very good but strangely I used to see very few Crappie fisherman up in Indian a bunch of Bass Fishermen but they have the big rigs essential in getting all the way up to Indian. The little guy with a small jon boat has a hard time getting to places like Indian because of the length of the boat ride. That is my main beef with the COE on RR the lack of access for the little guy who does not want to fight open water.

Just my .02
Posted By: crope1

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 11/26/16 05:51 AM

Originally Posted By: BillRR
welcome to the forum!

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 11/26/16 05:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Ameagle
Hello Folks I am new to this Forum and looking for the GPS coordinates for the COE brush piles. I was told to PM Ernest Paty but I am a Newbie to Forums and I do not know how. I bought a New Humminbird Helix 7 and want to put GPS coordinates on it to help me find those finicky Crappie.

Ernest Paty if You are reading this Please send me an E mail.

Thanks, Guys and Gals

1994 Tracker Panfish (Customized Just the way I want it)
40 HP Merc
Humminbird Helix 7SI
welcome to the forum! I f you read a few posts back,Mr Paty placed his email address where he can be contacted.good luck!
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 08/24/17 12:53 AM

Does Ernest still frequent this forum? I'm looking for those tasty coordinates!!!

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 08/24/17 08:04 AM

yes he does

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 08/24/17 11:46 PM

Anyone wanting the brushpile locations need to send me an e-mail and I will reply with the info.

Ernest
catchcrappie@aol.com
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 08/25/17 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SheldonS
Hello and welcome.

The COE BPs are not on the Navionics chip. The only published map that really has them is the Martins Map but is use the 1927 Datum for the waypoints.

Therefore when you plug those waypoints into your graph you could be off from 100 to 200 yards or more because your GPS will be using WGS84 as a datum.

There are a couple of ways around this but the two posters above me may have the simpliest remedy. laugh

You can use this site to convert datum:

http://tagis.dep.wv.gov/convert/
Posted By: ctyp3

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 01/25/18 09:46 PM

email sent
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 01/26/18 01:19 AM

Welcome to the club Stumphumper

You can also find them on the Navionics Webb App along with a few other cool spots to try as well. Just move your cursor over top of the item and double click. Hope to see you guys on the water....

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@6&key=wnhhEl%7CvnQ
Posted By: Worm jerker

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 11/21/18 09:43 PM

Can you send me the coe brush pile coordinates for ray Roberts thanks Mervin email Four626@gmail.com
Posted By: Tracker170_57

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 02/07/19 02:26 PM

Can you email me the COE brush pile coordinates for Ray Roberts? Thanks!! Email propertyofficer52@gmail.com
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Ray Roberts COE brushpiles - 02/07/19 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tracker170_57
Can you email me the COE brush pile coordinates for Ray Roberts? Thanks!! Email propertyofficer52@gmail.com

You can google them now.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum