Texas Fishing Forum

Best Underspin Reel

Posted By: Jacob

Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 02:17 AM

I started using those underspin trigger style reels this year, and I love the way they feel. They're very quick to set the hook from rod holders, and there's no flipping the bail back and forth. I've been using the cheapo Shakespeare reels, but they don't hold enough line, and they don't spool out very smoothly. I like to use Mr. Crappie 10 pund test just in case a bass gets on or to pull out of a brushpile. Anyone know of any that are really good quality? The one by Abu Garcia looks nice, but it's $34!
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 02:38 AM

I use a pfluger pinnacle, not sure on the spelling, on one of my jig poles. Paid 20 bucks @ Academy. I use fireline, and this is a smoooooth reel. Going to replace the other one next check!
Posted By: Stucky76

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Jacob645
I like to use Mr. Crappie 10 pound test

That's your problem! Change to Pline, Suffix or Vicious and you will solve that problem.. azn

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 02:42 AM

loco

I love these new smiley's!
Posted By: noflyzone

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 02:45 AM

I only buy the cheap ones.
That being said, my .02 worth

Okuma "ignite" - smoothest drag, wobbles a little
Quantum "?" - smooth drag, no wobble at all
Abu Garcia "cardinal" - horrible drag, wobbles like the okuma
Posted By: DerlC

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 02:47 AM

Last year I bought a PAT-10 from Pro Angler Tackle. Here are some of it attributes.

Closed Face Fail Safe Trigger Spin Reel
Excellent Sling Shot Casting Reel.....

· Unique One inch face opening for less line resistance,
casts like an open face reel.
· 4 Precision Ball Bearings
· Gear Ratio 3.2:1
· Precision-cut Brass Gears
· One inch opening
· Interchangeable left/right handle
· Trigger clutch for easy casting
· Instant Anti-reverse
Smooth Disc drag
It is only $24 on his web site and he is another TFF member.
I really like this reel. Here is the web site.
Pro Angler Tackle Reels Ed is a real nice guy to do business with too.
That's my 2 cents worth, spend it wisely! cheers
Posted By: Black Bass Blake

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 03:37 AM

Good info Derl, I'll have to try one of those. I have a pfluger thats on my 10 foot jigging pole and it works good.
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Stucky76

That's your problem! Change to Pline, Suffix or Vicious and you will solve that problem.. azn

I just like the color. I think it makes my eyes pop grin

Posted By: Black Bass Blake

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Stucky76

I just like the color. I think it makes my eyes pop grin

Viscous Panfish is brighter I think !

Stuckey you stole my azn
Posted By: Pat Martin

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 04:04 AM

Try the Zebco 33 Trigger Spin. It will hold 130 yards of 10# line.
Posted By: RedTopLady

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 04:26 AM

My boyfriend uses the Zebco Authentic 11, and has had no problems with it. I do the line spooling and it seem smooth and does not wobble on the reel seat like some I have seen.

Sounds like the one Pro Tackle sells is really good.

Posted By: Capt'n Wings

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 04:32 AM

Zebco also makes one smaller than the 33 that works great. I can't remember the number of it, but I've got one and really like it.
Posted By: FroggerZack

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Capt'n Wings
Zebco also makes one smaller than the 33 that works great. I can't remember the number of it, but I've got one and really like it.

11T I didn't care for mine. Shakespeare were better IMO.

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 03:48 PM

[/quote]

Viscous Panfish is brighter I think !

Stuckey you stole my azn [/quote]

rolfmao Sorry about that Barn Door!

Yes, the Viscious is brighter than Wally Marshall cyclop
Posted By: jseago

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 04:50 PM

Don't get the zebco 11, drag sux...bought one for Mandi's lil pole and it didn't even seat right. Kinda had to shim it. She caught a few bass on it accidentally while crappie fishing and they pulled some dragm, and now the drag is not working, now its useless. They are a neat design, but try some other brand. Zebco isn't what it used to be sadly.

--JLS
Posted By: Carver

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/10/09 07:54 PM

I own a dozen or more trigger spins and I have migrated to Pfluegers almost exclusively. They are made by the same shop that does the shakespear, but add another bearing and the drag is much smoother. I go 2 lbs lighter on my line on the Pfluegers because of the drag.
The shakespears are $5 cheaper and easier to find.
Posted By: PEZZ

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/11/09 12:11 AM

Personally, I hate Zebco and Shakespeare reels, they aren't worth the aggravation. Zebco's will cast a mile when new but after a short while they will get on your last nerve and replacing line, cleaning, doesn't help. I am slowly going with cheap Shimano spincast reels on my Crappie rods and so far I love'em.
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/11/09 01:47 AM

I have been using the pflueger underspins for about 2 yr. they make 3 sizes the micro is to small the med is just right the large size will work also .They have a large hole that makes it easy to free spool line.The price is right 24 bucks.Just my 2 cents. Darrell
Posted By: crappieScout Calvin

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/11/09 04:14 AM

dwmoore,

I only saw two sizes of the pflueger underspin reels the 1806 (spooled with 6lb test) and the 1810(spooled with 10lb test). Are you saying the 1806 is too small or is there a reel smaller than the 1806. fish
Posted By: Capt'n Wings

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/11/09 06:32 AM

Pezz, I think I gonna' go your route and just go ahead and start outfitting mine with Shimano Sahara's. If you just buy one every now and then, the cost ain't bad and you end up with a quality piece of equipment that is a pleasure to use and will last a long, long time.
Posted By: dwmoore

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/11/09 01:57 PM

FishinClyde there is a 4410u micro for 4lb line.There alright but after a few bass and sandies hit it the gears just want stand up .My hard head partner want use one so when the wind is blowing and hes got line wrapped all around his spinning reel.I just laugh and keep catching fish.Darrell
Posted By: crappieScout Calvin

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/11/09 02:42 PM

dwmoore,

Thanks. I'm gonna go to Cabela's this weekend and get one of those 1806 reels.
Posted By: NoMinners

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/12/09 01:28 AM

I bought a Pfluger spinning reel last year, and after about a hundred fish, it was burnt up. I will never by another one. My Pfluger fly reel is still good after 14 years.
Posted By: dondef

Re: Best Underspin Reel - 02/12/09 01:53 AM

pfluger is the best has more bearing for smoother reel.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum