Texas Fishing Forum

Austin area crappie fishing

Posted By: bonecrush

Austin area crappie fishing - 03/18/08 01:36 PM

I was wanting to take the kids (ages 4 and 8) crappie fishing this weekend, and was wondering if the fishing piers at Lake Georgetown and Granger are any good? I want to fish the piers because the 4 year old won't tolerate "nature" for too long. Is one lake better for crappie than the other? Thanks in advance for the insight.
Posted By: Sabot

Re: Austin area crappie fishing - 03/18/08 01:39 PM

I say Fox Park fishing pier on Granger lake will be your best bet. Get there early or you will no have a spot. It gets crowded quick.

Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Austin area crappie fishing - 03/18/08 09:16 PM

the piers at G-town are about 10 feet from the water last time I was there.....about 2 weeks ago
Posted By: Sabot

Re: Austin area crappie fishing - 03/18/08 10:37 PM

That is a shame... I guess they will be put back in the water just before the next drought...
Posted By: RAM

Re: Austin area crappie fishing - 03/19/08 01:08 AM

Don't forget the easy street crappie house in Jonestown.
It's not a pier, but it makes for a good family outing....at least it did last time I was there.

Depending on your point of origin, it may be closer than Granger from Austin. At Jonestown park, you can take the kids and if they get bored, you can BBQ, fly a kite, or just hang out.

Unless of course, you really want to take YOU fishing.

R
Posted By: TMCustomBaits

Re: Austin area crappie fishing - 03/19/08 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By: RAM
Don't forget the easy street crappie house in Jonestown.
It's not a pier, but it makes for a good family outing....at least it did last time I was there.

Depending on your point of origin, it may be closer than Granger from Austin. At Jonestown park, you can take the kids and if they get bored, you can BBQ, fly a kite, or just hang out.

Unless of course, you really want to take YOU fishing.

R

I have been to Easy Street the last 5 weekends straight and the fishing has been very, very slow. I'm not sure it is going to keep their interest that long out there.
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Austin area crappie fishing - 03/19/08 10:42 AM

a really pretty place to go is reimers ranch. The whites should be there after this rain. There are pictures of it on te white-hybrid site on here. Really pretty place
Posted By: bonecrush

Re: Austin area crappie fishing - 03/19/08 11:30 AM

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know about the piers at Georgetown, thanks snowyriver2. Would Reimers Ranch be considered "kid accessible"?
Posted By: MattyB

Re: Austin area crappie fishing - 03/19/08 02:52 PM

I launched at Cedar Breaks park on Lake G'town Sunday and the courtesy dock is in the water. My 10 yr old son caught 2 large mouth and an 11 inch crapping in 15 minutes while we launched the boat. Was tossin a Chartruse roadrunner. I didn't notice if the fishing dock is in over by the picnic area. Good luck
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum