Texas Fishing Forum

Jig heads

Posted By: Minner Bucket

Jig heads - 09/17/22 12:47 AM

What jig heads are y’all using for plastics? Looking for 1/8 oz. Pink head with some sort of keeper. I’ve used Constant pursuit heads but they don’t have a keeper. Also, not a big fan of the big eyes on boneheads jig. Let’s hear some other options. Looking to buy in bulk if possible.
Posted By: F4 Gator

Re: Jig heads - 09/17/22 03:59 AM

Check out I'll Be Jigged. They have a wide variety of jig head types and sizes. Prices are reasonable and they have provided great service in the past.

I'll be Jigged
Posted By: Laner

Re: Jig heads - 09/17/22 04:24 AM

A little dab of super glue where the front of the jig meets the jig head works wonders, and it helps to avoid tearing up the baits. I especially like doing this while dock shooting.
Posted By: cliffshot

Re: Jig heads - 09/18/22 02:46 PM

Try Killer Jigs on eBay. Great jigs / super varsity / great customer service. They are off line until end of September.
Posted By: NTX Angler

Re: Jig heads - 09/19/22 05:02 PM

I have had more luck with the white or yellow jig beads in 1/16 ounce from Eagle Claw than most of the more expensive ones. In my experience smaller is better.

Also the hand tied all white Henderson jigs with gold hooks seem to work well when nothing else seems to work.

Re: Jig heads - 09/21/22 11:33 PM

Must be a lot of minner fisherman on here using gold Aberdeen hooks roflmao

Thanks for the couple suggestions.

Laner, are your hooks in stock? Last order I placed with you they weren’t and I had to cancel.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Jig heads - 09/22/22 03:10 AM

I don’t like barbs, tears the bait up. A classic round, unpainted head works great, I’ve found jighead color doesn’t really make any difference, I’ve used pink, orange, green, yellow, unpainted, etc, makes zero difference. Like Laner said a drop of superglue will keep it from coming off, but I don’t really have an issue with them. Now, I do like red hooks, I think they make a difference, the black nickel are good too, the bronze ones are too flexible and bend out too easily. I always use sickle hooks. This is the experience from someone who makes his own jigheads and has been fishing for a very long time.
Posted By: bucsfan69

Re: Jig heads - 09/22/22 01:53 PM

I have caught more on the Big Bite 1/16 in Tennessee shad color, I could usually get them at Academy for $2 per pack of 10…. Now I can’t even find any, they are always sold out
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Jig heads - 09/22/22 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by bucsfan69
I have caught more on the Big Bite 1/16 in Tennessee shad color, I could usually get them at Academy for $2 per pack of 10…. Now I can’t even find any, they are always sold out

Ouch that’s expensive! I remember when you could buy plain sickle hook jigs for like $8/100
Posted By: tubejig

Re: Jig heads - 09/23/22 05:49 PM

Guthrie's Tackle i order from Chris for the first time and very pleased with the quality and customer service.
Posted By: Crappie Ford Man

Re: Jig heads - 09/24/22 12:29 AM

Constant Pursuit Outfitters (Laner) for me. Simple design. No barbs. Good hooks. .... And I've tried a bunch of different types.
Posted By: RODS454

Re: Jig heads - 09/25/22 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Laner
A little dab of super glue where the front of the jig meets the jig head works wonders, and it helps to avoid tearing up the baits. I especially like doing this while dock shooting.

This +^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Jig heads - 09/26/22 12:59 PM

Minnerbucket, yes sir, we have thousands of them now. If we don’t have what you’re looking for, Guthrie Tackle would be my next stop.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Jig heads - 09/26/22 02:42 PM

I take this a step farther , wrap unwaxed dental floss on the shank , wet with superglue, push the body on.
There is a youtube video on this. I use ball head jigs with no barb or keeper, Only takes a few minutes to make up a dozen
baits. These last so long , it has been 3 seasons since I bought plastic bodies.

MO
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Jig heads - 09/26/22 10:44 PM

I cut off the barb and then tie on a staple cut in half as a keeper. It's cheap and it works great.
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Jig heads - 09/28/22 02:04 AM

I avoid using painted jigs and those with a collar (soft plastic holder).

I carry a range of light jigs from eBay: 1/32, 1/24, 1/16 oz, 1 gram, 1.5 gram

Hook sizes range from #8 - #2, #6 and #4 hooks + lures cast more often.

Tip: Always have a light metal file on hand and check the point frequently. I use the 3-direction/ toward-the-point method to sharpen.

Tip: I have a method for keeping plastics in place plus allowing them much longer reuse. The wire shown is coated, 24g floral arrangement wire that is easy to attach to any size jig, though I will go a bit thinner wire for 1/32 oz jigs. It doesn't affect lure action or the fish bite. (The collared jig shown is for illustration only.)

Tip: larger lures such as Texas-rigged plastic worms and frogs can be attached using a wire coil. You coil the wire around a nail and attached it to a wide-gap hook by turning the coil into the lure.

Attached picture IMG_0002.JPG
Attached picture grublocksequence.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0008.JPG
Attached picture INNrXOn.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0675.JPG

Re: Jig heads - 10/05/22 01:07 AM

Minnerbucket, yes sir, we have thousands of them now. If we don’t have what you’re looking for, Guthrie Tackle would be my next stop.

Order placed cheers

Re: Jig heads - 10/05/22 01:30 PM

Thank you Minnerbucket! Your order is going out today.
Posted By: El_Tortuga

Re: Jig heads - 10/06/22 03:57 AM

Nothing fancy here. I favor unpainted 1/16 oz ball head single barb, plain aberdeen hook (#4-2), brass c/w red coating.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum