Texas Fishing Forum

Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!)

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 10/03/18 03:02 PM

Need to get some feedback. Some friends of Matthew Carrol are wanting to put together a tourney in his honor, all proceeds to go to a kids fishing charity. Tourney will be at Cedar Creek Lake and probably have weigh in at Caney City but what we need to decide is,
When? Y'all want to do it this fall? or wait till spring? I say Fall.
What charity?
Can anyone help with fish fry? I would be willing to stop fishing early and get back in time to get fish cooking. I have a great fish fry setup. I can borrow folding tables from work and can maybe even get my hands on a scale. I've even got about 125 fillets to donate for the fish fry and will work on getting more.

Y'all chime in!
Who's in?? Can you help out?

Kevin Ely 214-502-0861
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/03/18 06:19 PM

Awesome idea!!!

My vote would be for the spring because of end of other tournament trails, busy time of year with the holidays, possible bad weather (cold/rain) plus spring would give more time to do this up right.

Maybe a good idea would be to talk with the heads of Crappie Anglers of Texas, Crappie Fishing Fools or other groups (Wally Marshall for one) to make this a huge event and possibly an annual tournament.

I would be in and could help on a limited basis if it all lines out.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/03/18 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueNitro
Awesome idea!!!
(Wally Marshall for one) to make this a huge event and possibly an annual tournament.

I heard that somewhere before...

I am in for spring. I would love to slime up Matthews boat on CC in his honor

Kids with Cancer foundation is my recommendation.
http://www.childrenscancerfund.com/
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/04/18 04:25 AM

I’m in for the spring...personally, I prefer to remember Jigum on a pre Wally basis...just hate to see walley riding on Matthews back again, just for some marketing exposure. But I’m still in...

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/05/18 02:21 PM

I would think out of over 300 views, that there would be a few more responses. hmmm

Sounds like Spring will be best.
My contact to borrow a scale fell through but If we can't find someone else to loan us one, I will buy one.
I reached out to Wally Marshal but haven't heard back.

If someone else was already working on doing this, please let me know, I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, just trying to do something nice for a great friend of mine that I will miss forever.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/06/18 04:13 PM

Spring would be great, before it gets too hot. I can bring a icechest full of cold sody pops.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/06/18 04:18 PM

setting the date always seems to be the wild card.. you just need to set a date, and either they come or they dont. everybody wont be free on a certain day, so you cant worry abt that. just pick a saturday and unless the weather will be bad, then thats the date. folks who make it a priority will be there.

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/07/18 12:02 AM

Ok the date is set.
Saturday April 27th. Cedar Creek Lake. Official Start at 7 am. Must be in line at weigh in at 3pm. $50 per team.??
Posted By: fish n fool

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/08/18 12:02 AM

Kevin I just saw this post and if all is possible I will be there.
Posted By: OkieBob

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/08/18 12:45 PM

Hey Fool, do you have an empty back seat for an old buddy? Just saw this and would love to attend!
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/08/18 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: OkieBob
Hey Fool, do you have an empty back seat for an old buddy? Just saw this and would love to attend!

If he doesn't and I'm available, you are more than welcome on my boat. fish

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/08/18 01:40 PM

Yeah, Bob. Make plans to be here. If nothing else, you can fish with me and my wife in the toon. This is going to be a friendly tournament.
Posted By: HOGON

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/08/18 02:14 PM

CCBIRDDOGMAN,

God Bless you for putting this event together.

Truly Amazing. thumb
Posted By: pepop

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/08/18 04:51 PM

Haven't been around in quite a while! Just saw this. If nothing changes, Me & Penwell will be there!
Posted By: TurboDan

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/10/18 03:27 PM

Only new Matthew for a short while when he moved to Austin area. Great man and honored to have had a chance to spend some time with him. Would love to fish this tournament too.
Posted By: Abbott (MCM Tackle)

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor - 10/15/18 04:37 PM

I sent you a pm asking some questions. let me know when you get a chance.
Posted By: Rangerkev

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 10/16/18 02:23 AM

I like this idea. Matthew made some jigs for me over 10 years ago. I'm a bass fisherman. Lol. I met him at the Fishing Expo in Dallas. He spent around 3 hours talking with me. He gave me around 25 extra jigs. And then spent time telling me how to use them. And we had only met once at one if the old Christmas parties. I don't have a boat anymore. I don't have any crappie gear. But I will make a cash donation. I'm great with the donation going to a kids charity. I just want it to be non profit.

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 10/16/18 01:51 PM

Looking like this is going to be a good turnout.

MCM tackle has offered to donate some jigs/ misc. tackle (thank you!) for door prizes! (maybe by spring we will have more offers from others)

And yes, we will make sure it's a non profit for kids. (and I really want to find something fishing related but not a must)

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 10/29/18 02:18 PM

bump. gonna try to keep it on the first two pages.
Posted By: Tommy Ezell

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 10/30/18 07:53 PM

PM sent

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 10/30/18 09:00 PM

Looks like we have a scale we can use! Thanks Tommy, I'll be in touch.
Posted By: Fishman_DAN

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 11/07/18 05:59 PM

I will plan to be there!
Posted By: tboxfish

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 11/09/18 04:06 PM

I'm hoping to attend.
Jigum was a dear friend and we fished together less than I wanted, but I cherish the times we did get to go

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 11/09/18 04:35 PM

We are gonna have a good time. This is going to be a just for fun Tournament (and to benefit a charity). We will have a fish fry afterwards so if anyone can help out with that it would be greatly appreciated. I have a nice propane fryer, two electric basket type fryers for fries and hush puppies, tables, generator if we need it, etc.

What I know of that we will need:
Fish (I may have enough)
Oil (I normally use canola because so many people have peanut allergies)
Hush puppies
French Fries
Plates
Paper towels
Ketchup
Tarter sauce
Plastic forks, spoons & knives
Maybe another propane fish fryer?
All side dishes will be welcome.

I plan on stopping my fishing early so I can get the food started. Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 11/12/18 02:39 PM

Getting lots of help and advise from the guy's at C.A.T., I am going to follow their advise about one thing for sure, we are only going to make it a 4-5 hr tourney and then have a nice fish fry afterwards (like 7 or 8 am to 12 or 1 pm). I think Matthew would really enjoy that we all spend some time B.S.ing, that was one of his favorite things to do. I would just make it a fish fry but I don't think as many would come, so a fun tournament with fish fry afterwards it is!

If we can get a few people to donate some jigs, hats, rods, reels, etc. we can let winners pick from a table in order of place, so that all the money can go to the charity but winners still get a nice prize.

If you know who I should call to ask for prizes / donations, please let me know. Still haven't heard back from Wally Marshall.
Posted By: TurboDan

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 11/12/18 08:39 PM

For those of us not so close to DFW area anymore, can you recommend a place to stay?

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 11/12/18 08:45 PM

Kaamans in log cabin. Just don't leave anything worth stealing in your boat. There are a couple motels in Mabank & Gun Barrel. We may even have the weigh in & fish fry at the new ramp that use to be Big Chiefs in Gun Barrel. I will get out and go to a few possible locations and make final decision over Thanksgiving week.
Posted By: DaveB

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 11/18/18 03:14 PM

Count me in Kevin. Let me know if you need any help.
Posted By: SLABXPRESS

Re: Crappie Tournament in Jigums Honor (date set!) - 11/19/18 12:04 AM

Comfort Suites in Mabank. 15min
Holiday Inn, Best Western, & Super 8 in Athens. 25min
Best Western in Kaufman. 30min
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum