Texas Fishing Forum

PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ???

Posted By: ERNEST PATY

PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 11:32 AM

We have been experimenting with adding glitter to the outside of our soft plastic baits.
(See Post Making a good thing better) Good results so far but I accidentally noticed something that we are investigating further.

So far our research has been in ways to make the glitter stick on the bait better.
MAYBE WE ARE DOING IT BACKWARDS.
After fishing a brushpile until the fish stopped biting I decided to change my bait. I put on a slab bandit that had been rubbed with glitter but I had forgotten the glue. As soon as the bait hit the water the glitter started coming off. I could see it sparkling in the water. As soon as the lure got down to the brush a big fish slammed it. Dropped it three times more, same thing BAM BAM BAM. By then all the glitter had fallen off. Fish quit hitting it.

Next brushpile same thing happened. The fish had stopped biting so I put some glitter on my bait without any glue and bang, three quick fish. Seems the glitter falling off the bait was triggering strikes.

Got me to thinking so I came home and started trying different ways to attach glitter to the bait that would slowly dissolve and release the glitter.
Don’t laugh but here’s what has worked best so far. I put some Colgate toothpaste in a small plastic container and added glitter to it. Mixed it up. By punching the bait down in the mixture (just like punch bait) with a toothpick it coated pretty good. Put it in water it slowly dissolved letting the glitter fall off.

Tried it yesterday and the fish hit it pretty good. After about 5 min or one or two fish had to re-dip.

Lots of research still needs to follow but I guess I will sacrifice my couch time to fish and try it out.

An suggestions from anyone out there?
Posted By: Finaddict

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 11:57 AM

I have been using the nibbles with glitter. Down side is you come in covered in glitter! Going to try this. Great idea thanks for sharing.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 12:10 PM

maybe its the flavor of the toothpaste.. noidea
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 02:04 PM

Patent it laugh
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 02:33 PM

Cornsyrup? Honey?
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 02:52 PM

Inject tube baits with Powerbait sparkle. Might make your own and add additional glitter. Try refrigerating or even freezing to slow down release, or thinning paste to speed it up. Might be faster to do some baits up beforehand. Seems like it might be easier to change baits than trying to add additional paste to the tube on the water.

http://www.thebaitpump.com/

Might try adding glitter to some of the gel fish attractants and see how well that holds and disperses glitter.

I remember my dad and I discussing taking the skin from our crappie filets, freeze them on a baking sheet, running them through a blender, pouring them into ice cube trays, and freezing them. Drop them over the side as a feeding stimulant. I don't remember ever doing it.
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 03:28 PM

Smelly Jelly. Been using the shrimp flavor for years in the saltwater. Haven't tried it for crappie but I may have to try. It comes with glitter in it and comes in quite a few different scents.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Smelly_Jelly_Pro_Guide_Formula_4_oz/descpage-SJS4.html

>E
Posted By: UJC

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Finaddict
I have been using the nibbles with glitter. Down side is you come in covered in glitter! Going to try this. Great idea thanks for sharing.

This ^^^^^^^ I call it the pole dancer's stuff. Be sure to warn the significant other before going out! OMG
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 05:05 PM

That glitter nibbles almost cost Ron "BlueNitro" his marriage. bolt
Posted By: sticknstring

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: UJC

This ^^^^^^^ I call it the pole dancer's stuff. Be sure to warn the significant other before going out! OMG

yeah you better warn her....It prolly smells like pole dancer stuff too! eek2
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 07:01 PM

PreparationH might work too. Those Crappie can be a pain in the A$$ at times. roflmao

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: sticknstring
Originally Posted By: UJC

yeah you better warn her....It prolly smells like pole dancer stuff too! eek2

Yeah...And you do not want to stop for a burger on the way home. Lots of side glances not to mention other possibilities!
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 10:02 PM

Try the Johnson's Crappie Buster Shad Scales. It comes in a gel glitter attractant. I purchased several tubes on clearance from Walmart but I have not been able to use them yet. It works exactly as you described.
Posted By: Stray Cat

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/04/18 10:12 PM

popcorn interesting. I remember my Uncle would break off a piece of Alka-Seltzer and push inside the tube bait. He would catch bigger fish on structure than any of us.
Posted By: SK.

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/05/18 02:55 AM

LOL.... Guess the lakes will start smelling like Colgate here soon.... roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: JWfish

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/05/18 05:14 AM

Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/05/18 01:01 PM

oh no,....something else to buy. clap
Posted By: Stray Cat

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/05/18 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: JWfish

Boom problem solved.. Mo' Money $$$ juggle
Posted By: SK.

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/05/18 03:07 PM

Aahhhh, so the wheel is round already? LOL

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/05/18 10:51 PM

Crappie super gel. Apply to tail then dip in glitter bottle

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084EH6C4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/06/18 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

That glitter nibbles almost cost Ron "BlueNitro" his marriage. bolt

roflmao Yep, keeps the wife guessing if I've been to the lake or nudie bar. peep
Posted By: cellis

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/06/18 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
I remember my dad and I discussing taking the skin from our crappie filets, freeze them on a baking sheet, running them through a blender, pouring them into ice cube trays, and freezing them. Drop them over the side as a feeding stimulant. I don't remember ever doing it.

This thread has some bonafide Time-On-The-Water stories. Good stuff fellas thumb
Posted By: Hancock's Guide Service

Re: PUNCH BAIT FOR CRAPPIE ??? - 08/07/18 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: ERNEST PATY
PreparationH might work too. Those Crappie can be a pain in the A$$ at times. roflmao

flehan
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum