Texas Fishing Forum

Thank you Mr. Paty

Posted By: HV Lurenut

Thank you Mr. Paty - 07/15/18 11:51 PM

Hit Grapevine with my daughter this morning intending to work a deep (28'-32') rock outcrop that had been producing good fish a couple of weeks ago on 3" Bonehead jigs. We got there and no fish. Moved on to plan B and hit some brush piles in about 20' and hardly a fish to be had. Could see fish, but just got pecks and only a few small takers. After pile number 4, I thought about what Mr. Paty said about him and Mr. Skinner needing to finesse the fish on Lewisville, so we switched to 1.25" Crazy Anglers in sour grape on 1/24oz jig heads.
Using 10# braided and a 6# mono leader, it was all we could do to get the jigs down to the pile. Worked above and along the edges with out any luck. Finally, I started dropping right down into the pile and BINGO. Started catching fish. First a 10 then a 12 closely followed by a couple of 11s then a 13 and then another couple of 11s. These where followed by a few dinks and just legal fish.
By now, it was Late morning and getting hot. We had set out to catch dinner for tonight, and kept those 7 fish from than run when we switched to finesse rigs.
Mr. Paty, I have never had the pleasure to meet you, but wanted to thank you for your willingness to share information. It has helped me personally to become a decent Crappie fisherman over the last few years. I don't want to know another mans spots. That will only help me for a day or two on a given lake. What I cherish is logic and strategies to try and grow my knowledge. The TFF is full of info, but what you are willing to share is some of the best.

Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Thank you Mr. Paty - 07/16/18 12:50 AM

That sour grape is a good choice on the Vine. Right now downsizing the bait is what is called for on many lakes right now.
Glad you could put a plan together to improve your results.
Posted By: The Crappie Guy

Re: Thank you Mr. Paty - 07/16/18 01:16 PM

I fished Lewisville yesterday with a friend of mine and we got into fish practically everywhere we stopped. Deeper trees had much better fish then the piles did, but again, all fish wanted smaller baits. The Bonehead Stump Bug was the clear winner, but you had to fish it "in" the thickest part of the tree or pile. Most fish came from 10-20' of water. Thanks Dane for going with me. We'll have to do it again soon.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Thank you Mr. Paty - 07/16/18 01:56 PM

Great post! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Thank you Mr. Paty - 07/16/18 02:04 PM

thumb

Re: Thank you Mr. Paty - 07/16/18 10:11 PM

Yep David the Sour Grape is a go to color for me in deeper water. Seems that the fish can see the darker colors with less light to me. Or at least it gives me more confidence. Also, the Helix you put on helps me see them a hell of a lot better.

Re: Thank you Mr. Paty - 07/17/18 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: HV Lurenut
Yep David the Sour Grape is a go to color for me in deeper water. Seems that the fish can see the darker colors with less light to me. Or at least it gives me more confidence. Also, the Helix you put on helps me see them a hell of a lot better.

Yes, sir, that helix will definitely find them. Getting them to bite is something else...
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Thank you Mr. Paty - 07/18/18 04:08 AM

Nice post and fish! cheers
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Thank you Mr. Paty - 07/18/18 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish
Originally Posted By: HV Lurenut

Yes, sir, that helix will definitely find them. Getting them to bite is something else...

Don't feel bad Dave I have the same problem with the Solix..LOL
As soon as my patio is done I'll be giving you a call for an instructional!! thumb

Re: Thank you Mr. Paty - 07/19/18 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: serj5150
Don't feel bad Dave I have the same problem with the Solix..LOL
As soon as my patio is done I'll be giving you a call for an instructional!! thumb

Just let me know and we will go....
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Thank you Mr. Paty - 07/20/18 06:52 PM

Quote:
Mr. Paty, I have never had the pleasure to meet you, but wanted to thank you for your willingness to share information. It has helped me personally to become a decent Crappie fisherman over the last few years.

I tried to PM you but don't know if anything went thru.

Contact me if you would like to go with me on Sat. Morning.
Posted By: K_Dean

Re: Thank you Mr. Paty - 07/20/18 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: ERNEST PATY
Quote:
Mr. Paty, I have never had the pleasure to meet you, but wanted to thank you for your willingness to share information. It has helped me personally to become a decent Crappie fisherman over the last few years.

I tried to PM you but don't know if anything went thru.

Contact me if you would like to go with me on Sat. Morning.

That’s an offer nobody should be able to turn down. Probably learn more in a morning than you have thus far!

Re: Thank you Mr. Paty - 07/21/18 01:27 AM

Thank you Mr. Paty, Would love to join you but am already taking my father fishing tomorrow morning at 6am. Would love to get together and spend some time picking your brain in the not too distant future. I'm in a 18' red Lund. I primarily fish the Lewisville side of the lake and I'll keep an eye out for a boat with umbrellas on it. If a stranger approaches you in a red Lund, it may be me. Look forward to meeting you. Will attempt to send you a PM as well. Being damn near 60 I'm not the greatest at these computers. Could not find a PM but that doesn't mean much.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum