Texas Fishing Forum

Is this crappie?

Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Is this crappie? - 07/04/18 06:20 PM

I sure could not catch them if it is. roflmao I thought I would do good today, I caught one deadgum crappie. I'm just now learning how to use my electronics and find structure, but have not figured out what crappie looks like.
Posted By: Laner

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/04/18 06:22 PM

Looks like a bunch of crappie to me.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/04/18 07:56 PM

That has a crappie profile look to it.If you don`t mind my asking,What type unit is that you are using? coolio
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/04/18 07:57 PM

probably bream/sunfish based on the depth, and all the echos are small and same size.
throw a worm in there and see what happens.. fish
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/04/18 08:12 PM

I think large shad.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/04/18 08:44 PM

I would turn the sensitivity down some. If you ran crappie over at that depth odds are they were gone by the time you turned around to fish!! That's my $.02 worth anyhow. cheers

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/04/18 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
That has a crappie profile look to it.If you don`t mind my asking,What type unit is that you are using? coolio

Lowrance Elite-5HDI

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/05/18 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: FishingGuy
Originally Posted By: Fishbonz

Lowrance Elite-5HDI
The reason I asked is because I had the same unit.I would use both the 2D sonar and the Down Imaging when I ran across screen shots like that on my HDI & compare what I was seeing from both.Play with your unit and you`ll get better. +1 on what slewfoot suggested thumb
Posted By: SK.

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/05/18 03:59 PM

I’d for sure drop a jig on it......
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/05/18 05:33 PM

Drop a jig on it,try depths between 8'and 6', no bites in a couple of minutes.... MOVE!
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/05/18 07:33 PM

It sure does and I would have fished there for sure.
Posted By: UJC

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/05/18 08:26 PM

If your eyesight is ok, I'd suggest reducing the overlay sizes shown on the screen (DPH, SOG, etc.) to provide a more viewable screen.

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/06/18 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: UJC
If your eyesight is ok, I'd suggest reducing the overlay sizes shown on the screen (DPH, SOG, etc.) to provide a more viewable screen.

Good idea, never thought of that. All I want is depth.

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/06/18 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Slewfoot
I would turn the sensitivity down some. If you ran crappie over at that depth odds are they were gone by the time you turned around to fish!! That's my $.02 worth anyhow. cheers

I was reading my manual, "sensitivity" adjustments is in regard to sonar, not down scan. Below is a link to my manual. I do not use sonar. For down image, are you talking about "contrast".

https://ww2.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance-Documents/US/ELITE-5X_HDI_OM_EN_988-10519-001_w.pdf

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/06/18 12:49 AM

On downscan, these are my settings...

Re: Is this crappie? - 07/08/18 07:46 AM

Since you are only in 10.8 FOW,I would switch to the 800 KHZ setting for a little bit better Picture resolution and slow my ping down to normal, go into downscan options,get out of Blue Gradient & go to Sepia but that`s just me & my 2centsworth
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum