Texas Fishing Forum

Minn Kota Ulterra

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/29/18 03:01 PM

Just made a smokin deal on a like new (used 3 times) 80lb Ulterra with Bluetooth, Ipilot, lift assist, etc. I was dead set on an XI5 before this deal came about (actually even had the xi5 ordered), just wondering if any of the other crappie guys or gals on here have one and how well does the spot lock work? Any known issues with the lift assist? (sure seems like a great feature). Going on my 24' pontoon.
Posted By: Buff2

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/29/18 03:11 PM

I have one on my new Skeeter.
I had an issue right at first as they had the GPS puck set too close to the trolling motor.
We moved it to the back of the boat and it has worked great. I love the Spot lock and the Jog. You can work a brush pile over, 5' foot at a time
Posted By: Skeeter202c

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/29/18 03:36 PM

Just picked up my boat yesterday from having one installed. Will let you know after I use it and get it all figured out.
Posted By: Double Row

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/29/18 07:14 PM

They are junk, I think you need to give it to me just to avoid the frustration. LOL, just kidding. I'd don't have one, but hope to get one.
Posted By: Slab Killa

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/29/18 08:39 PM

I thought the ulterra meant that it was auto deploy and stow?
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/29/18 08:44 PM

CC I have one on my cajun center console and love. The only thing that happened with mine is that it was a refurbished 2017 model and someone at minnkota had dropped a metal washer in the motor housing and it finally made it's way to the prop and froze it. I was launching at the time and watched my boat float away. but i got it back and took it to a local minnkota dealer and works great again...you might not have that kind of problem though That's just my kind of luck..LOL. hammer

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/29/18 08:47 PM

Regarding the puck location, I spent many frustrating hours battling this. Mine wouldn’t hold as tight as it should and after many phone calls to minn Kota I finally got the right guy on the phone. I have a center console (ranger Bay) and I mounted it beneath my graph which is where the first tech support guy told me to so it would have line of sight. Seemed counter intuitive as it’s bluetooth but I followed his direction figuring he would know best.

Turned out that’s what was causing all of my problems. That puck is an electronic compass and it was being effected by the magnets on the back of the speakers mounted in the sides of my console causing it to mess up.

The man I got on the phone told me to mount it up in the front of my boat next to the trolling motor (opposite side of the Deck from were my power supply comes into the motor itself). Once I did that it made all the difference in the world.

The legacy series (gen 1) doesn’t even compare to how accurate the new bluetooth model holds you on structure.

Doesn’t sound like buff2 had any luck with it close to the motor but it fixed my problems. Maybe temporarily mount the puck and go try it before you drill holes and decide on a permanent location.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/30/18 12:06 AM

Mine is on my Ultrex. Should be the same as the Ulterra. I used the compass on my cell phone to find where there was no interference. When you get close to interference the needle on the compass swings instead of marking true direction. I mounted it on the trolling motor side directly under where the head is when the trolling motor was stowed. Works like a champ.
Posted By: Guide: Cliff_S

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/30/18 12:15 AM

I have the Ultrex on my Champion and Lund. My puck is mounted at the back of the boat and have had no issues with either TM. That is what was recommended to me by Fish & Ski Marine.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/30/18 01:39 AM

Glad yours works well cliff but this is why I prefer to rig my own boats. Sometimes It seems dealers recommend what’s easier for then instead of running wires to where they should mount the item.

The number one warning in the minn Kota instructions say:

“Do not mount near wires that handle large currents such as batteries or power cables...”

The back end of every boat I’ve ever seen is riddled with exactly that. Cranking batteries, power pole pumps, trim tabs, trolling motor batteries, etc.

But yours worked and mine didn’t so who knows.
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/30/18 01:53 AM

I've had my ulterra 80 in use for almost six months. I enjoy not having to move forward when I'm checking a spot. No trouble with my mounting the puck on the center console. Spot lock seems happiest, to me, when there's something to work against (wind, current). I wish I had thought about being able to integrate the TM with the graph. It would have helped reduce the load when fishing with my ten year old (between him and windy day boat control I can hardly wet a line).
Posted By: Finaddict

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/30/18 09:12 AM

To solve my frustration of spot checking from console I put the new Helix 9 Mega DI GPS at the bow with TM transducer. Mark waypoints on it when it shows over structure. Now I can move around and be spot on sitting comfortably up front.
I also now rarely use bouys.
Posted By: Greg Boyle

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 06/30/18 06:08 PM

I have one for sale with 2 deep cycle batteries and the humminbird adapter plus the helix 5 if anyone wants it for 2000$. ccbirdgogman is gonna love his. Sold my boat and the buyer didn’t want it. 325.277.3540

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/03/18 12:01 AM

All mounted up. Gonna go test her out tomorrow evening and Wednesday morning.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/03/18 02:40 AM

Keep a close eye on that transducer cable. I used the precision sonar bracket and they work great for keeping everything out of the way during deploy and stow
Posted By: txred0810

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/03/18 02:45 AM

Looks good CC. Let us know how you like it when you put it to use. Would love to stumble on a deal for one.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/03/18 01:53 PM

Hey CC I was wanting to put my 997 up on my ulterra. Can I still use my transom transducer and just get a bracket for it. Also your transducer doesn't look quite centered, does it need to be off a little?.. Thanks for any help!

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/03/18 02:22 PM

You should be able to hook the 997 up to the Ulterra direct and use the internal sonar right? Not sure if compatible to the 997. You just have to order the right cable if it is compatible. Yes mine is offset but it wasn't intentional and I need to straighten it. I'll be on water by 6pm this afternoon, still gotta mount the heading sensor (some on here calling it the gps puck) and get it calibrated. Then off to one of my favorite brushpiles and test out the spotlock.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/03/18 04:07 PM

I completely forgot about the built in sonar. Thanks for the info Buddy hope you slay'um. banana

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/03/18 04:28 PM

No problem. Believe me, as soon as I can, I'm getting a compatible graph so I can get rid of that transducer and wire.

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/03/18 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
No problem. Believe me, as soon as I can, I'm getting a compatible graph so I can get rid of that transducer and wire.

I'm gonna see if I can just wire it straight..Let me know how you like the ulterra and if you have any questions just pm me. I ran into a couple of issues that turned out to be my batteries. Once that was taken care of it has been great and the battery power is pretty awesome..I'll use it all day and as soon as I get off the lake I check the percentage and it's like 80% for both batteries banana

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/04/18 08:46 PM

All I can say is, wow. This thing is sweet! Works flawlessly.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/04/18 11:00 PM

thumb thumb Nice!
Posted By: dobbin

Re: Minn Kota Ulterra - 07/05/18 03:08 AM

Just make sure you give it plenty of slack. the head of the tm will spin around getting it's settings and if if does not have enough slack it will pull the plug into
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum