Texas Fishing Forum

Electric Fillet Knives

Posted By: DLALLDER

Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 12:50 PM

What brand is your best knife for cleaning crappie? What brand is the worst? I was given two new Mister Twister electric knives and they seem to be the worst I have ever tried to use, even on crappie, the blades have a very hard time of cutting thru the rib cage bones when filleting. I normally use the cheap B&D from Walmart and it does a very good job. Did by chance I just get two bad Mister Twisters or is this a common problem with them?
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 01:25 PM

Go with American Angler and don’t look back IMO. I’ve got an older AA and it’s still going just keep the blades sharp or get replacement blades. Just my opinion.
Posted By: jfe

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 01:28 PM

I'm very unhappy with my brand new Mr. Twister, too. It doesn't work well at all.
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 01:56 PM

I have 3 old American Anglers, 2 12 volt and a 110 volt. All three will fillet like crazy. Got a deal on a New American Angler Titanium and all I can say is WOW this thing could cut trees I believe.
Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 02:31 PM

AA is my choice
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 03:43 PM

American Angler gets about 90% good reviews.
Mister Twister gets maybe 50% good reviews.
Fishing Guides use AA.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 03:54 PM

I finally burned my first American angler up after about 15 years. Have another one as well as a rapala lithium that's nice for when there's nowhere to plug in the AA.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 04:19 PM

Old B&D electric knives work great. Garage sales are your friend.
Posted By: Fish 68

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 06:09 PM

American Angler #1 choice mine has been working great for over 10 years. Had Mister Twisters before only lasted 3 to 4 years. You can not go wrong with American Angler.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 06:47 PM

American Angler with Shark blades.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 08:28 PM

I love my mister twister! For the $ it’s a no brainer... I also know how to use a fillet knife and know when to replace the blades for cheap
Posted By: camoriver

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 08:32 PM

I'm a crappie guide on lake Sam Rayburn and I cleaned 6700 crappie last year. I've tried them all, but the best hands down is the Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Filet Knife. It has twice the power and rpm's of the American Angler, (which I have as a back up).
Buy it online on Amazon and have it delivered in 2 days to you. Go ahead and order an extra set of blades if you clean anywhere near the crappie I do.
Camoriver Guide Service
www.camoriverguideservice.com
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 08:44 PM

Lost my old rapala and had to buy a new one at wallmart was like 50$.it gets the job done

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Ledeez
I love my mister twister! For the $ it’s a no brainer... I also know how to use a fillet knife and know when to replace the blades for cheap

Ledeez, Wht would I need to replace the blades on TWO new in the package Mister Twisters, Plus Talked to the distributor in Minden, La. She sent another new set of blades and they will not cut either. The blades are JUNK.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/09/18 09:55 PM

Head to Your local Academy and I usually replace with 9 inch blades
Posted By: Jezreel

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/10/18 03:09 AM

So, the question I have is. . . If I go from my trusty Repalla to an electric AA, what is the learning curve like? Will I be slicing thru the backbones, or is it easy to feel and guide by the backbone? Sometimes I go too deep with my Repalla, and I could see how it would be easy to do it with an electric. I have wanted to make the switch, but just haven’t done it. And how easy is it to cut next to the skin when finishing the filet? I hope this question isn’t too confusing.
Posted By: Muxa

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/10/18 06:38 PM

I'm very unhappy with my brand new Mr.

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/11/18 02:25 AM

For those that have purchased new Mr Twister electric knives, you might want to contact Mister Twister and tell them of the problem you are having. If you get the BS that I got nothing will happen other than maybe a new set of the junk blades but maybe they will get the message that what ever they have done to the blades is not a good thing.
Posted By: hawghoover

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/11/18 12:27 PM

i used to use Mr Twister then i tried an American Angler......no comparison ! the blades on the Twister wouldnt last 2 months.im now on my 2nd year of AA knife and same blades! i ordered a 2nd AA on sale for $99 with 2 sets of blades for a back up. best $100 iv ever spent.cuts through rib bone like butter!. and i fish about 5 days a week!
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/13/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: camoriver
I'm a crappie guide on lake Sam Rayburn and I cleaned 6700 crappie last year. I've tried them all, but the best hands down is the Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Filet Knife. It has twice the power and rpm's of the American Angler, (which I have as a back up).
Buy it online on Amazon and have it delivered in 2 days to you. Go ahead and order an extra set of blades if you clean anywhere near the crappie I do.
Camoriver Guide Service
I ordered a Rapala Heavy Duty to give it a try. It came in and I like it. Fits my hand good. I've tried all the rest so I might as well try this. Walmart Black and Deckers have been good to me in the past. Cheap enough when you burn 'em up you can throw them away and get another. If I don't like the Rapala I'll just go back to them.
Posted By: toledo puma

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/14/18 01:55 PM

I have used the 'HEAVY DUTY' rapala fillet knives for four years and cleaned thousands of crappie every year. Hands down the fastest oscillating motor and gears. I had american anglers before. very good knife, but the HEAVY DUTY rapala is way faster. I will stress on the HEAVY DUTY version again. Do not buy the regular rapala, and surely not the rechargeable rapala. They are $49. for the Heavy Duty at academy stores or on line on academys website. The key to all of them are sharp blades. I run the blades through 2,000. fish and throw them in the trash and buy another $7.00 set of blades
Posted By: TexExp

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/14/18 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman

yep

These little shark blades are great for cleaning crappie.
For a 2.5lb crappie, use the bigger shark blade right below it. cool
Also the bigger shark blade for Hybrid/Striper.

This set goes on sale for around $100 if you watch for it on Cyber Monday, Black Friday etc.
Or... you could try the HD Rapala. cheers

Posted By: serj5150

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/14/18 10:46 PM

Plus one and a block sharpener and you're set for awhile!!..I am just now ordering another set of Shark Blades after about 4 years of sharpening my old ones!! thumb
Posted By: KMHendu

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/15/18 01:10 AM

I’ve had a rapala for about 6 or 7 years. Excellent knife and won’t break the bank
Posted By: TexExp

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/15/18 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: serj5150

Plus one and a block sharpener and you're set for awhile!!..I am just now ordering another set of Shark Blades after about 4 years of sharpening my old ones!! thumb

How do you use the block sharpener for serrated blades?
I have never quite figured that out, but would like to.
Thanks!
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 06/15/18 04:14 PM

I have an American Angler that is a great knife. I just don't like it because it just doesn't fit my hand right. The Rapala I have fits much better and I continually find myself reverting back to it when I have lots of fish to clean just because it is more comfortable and I have better control with it. Therefore, the job goes much faster. I have an old, old General Electric knife that if I could find blades for I would probably use it. This thing is probably from the 80's maybe even the 70's and it is heavy so I know all the gearing has to be brass. When it kicks on it feels like is has a "turbo" in it. roflmao

>E

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 07/04/18 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobcat1
Originally Posted By: camoriver
Camoriver Guide Service
I ordered a Rapala Heavy Duty to give it a try. It came in and I like it. Fits my hand good. I've tried all the rest so I might as well try this. Walmart Black and Deckers have been good to me in the past. Cheap enough when you burn 'em up you can throw them away and get another. If I don't like the Rapala I'll just go back to them.
Finally got to use my new Rapala Heavy Duty. I can't say enough good things about this knife. No wonder Chris Waters could always beat me filleting fish. Man this thing zips right thru them. Try one out... Thanks Camo River Guide Service for the recommendation. cheers thumb
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 07/04/18 11:06 PM

I love knife talk:)
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 07/04/18 11:50 PM

<removed>
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 07/06/18 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: TexExp

Thanks!

You run your blades through the sharpener as normal, except you need them running. Just line them up, hit the trigger and run them back and forth. YouTube has a demo video.
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 07/07/18 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: red snappa
Originally Posted By: TexExp

Thanks!

You run your blades through the sharpener as normal, except you need them running. Just line them up, hit the trigger and run them back and forth. YouTube has a demo video.

Hmm..I've always just ran them by hand one at a time...I'm gonna try this!! thumb
Posted By: Hickory Nut

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 07/07/18 03:37 PM

After reading about the Rapala HD and having a few Academy gift cards, I bought one. Cleaned fifty crappie last Monday and another fifty Tuesday. Last one cleaned just as easy as the first fish did. I am impressed with this knife.
I like my American Angler but it gets pretty hot after about fish number twenty. The Rapala didn't come close to getting as hot.

Re: Electric Fillet Knives - 07/07/18 05:56 PM

Attaboy Joe! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum