Texas Fishing Forum

Humbled?

Posted By: CrappieXpress

Humbled? - 06/08/18 05:24 PM

Ever been humbled while on the water? Today was my day. I've been on good fish all year but things took a drastic turn at daylight today. Fished everything I knew to fish and nary a bite from a crappie. Started out on a solid producing pile that's always good for 4-6 fish....... Nothing. Ok on to the next...... Then the next......... Then the next........rinse and repeat for 4 hours. Finally wound up under a bridge to eat a sandwich in the shade and kept myself from getting completely skunked there. Caught 1 sandbass and 2 bream. Haven't had one of these days in a long time but tomorrow I intend to redeem myself........ Guess that's why it's called fishing instead of catching
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Humbled? - 06/08/18 06:53 PM

Been a tough bite lately
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Humbled? - 06/08/18 06:57 PM

Cou;d you see the fish on graphs,..

Re: Humbled? - 06/08/18 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
Cou;d you see the fish on graphs,..

Yessir. In fact the last one I stopped at I could se them suspended above the pile when I got there and then by the time I left I could see that they had actually moved down into the pile.
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: Humbled? - 06/08/18 07:23 PM

Been there before. A few things I do when they are being stubborn is down side baits, use scent (crappie nibble, garlic slabslobber) tip jig with chopped up minnow.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Humbled? - 06/08/18 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
Been a tough bite lately
roflmao roflmao love that jig
Posted By: Harleyrockstar

Re: Humbled? - 06/08/18 07:45 PM

Happened to me Tuesday!

Went out on Granger Monday during the tail end of a cold front blowing through. Day started rough with North winds and big rolling waves. Fished turned on later in the morning and we ended up catching 40 with only 10 keeps. Thought we would switch up lakes Tuesday and find some larger fish.

Tuesday morning headed to Lake LBJ and launched around 0800. Water temp 82 degrees and winds at 7 mph. Conditions looked perfect and proceed to fish brush piles with no success using hand ties and jigs tipped with crappie nibbles. After 2. 5 hours of being skunked I was getting a little irate! You could see fish on piles but they would not take anything. We finally landed 5 crappie on the last pile we stopped at and they only wanted the bait moving fast. Either a fast vertical retrieve or on the drop. Still had time so decided to load the boat and hit my "honey hole" on Lake Marble Falls that is always good for 10-20 fish.

Needless to say we wasted 2 hours of our life on Marble Falls. Not even a bite on proven brush piles. I was humbled Tuesday....
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Humbled? - 06/09/18 12:28 AM

Welllll, at least I know it wasn't me. Tuesday was tough for me also. Hit several good spots, BPs and timber between 6:20 and 8:40 am. I think 13 fish with maybe 4 keeps. Fish were there; light taps, nudges, pecks, ect. Tried a number of jig types, nothing made a difference. Only one fish inhaled the jig. Wind was getting up and I hit the trailer at 8:45. I figured it was one of those days.

Gotta love that skunk jig. Just don't think it's a good idea to carry one in the boat. roflmao

Re: Humbled? - 06/09/18 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Welllll, at least I know it wasn't me. Tuesday was tough for me also. Hit several good spots, BPs and timber between 6:20 and 8:40 am. I think 13 fish with maybe 4 keeps. Fish were there; light taps, nudges, pecks, ect. Tried a number of jig types, nothing made a difference. Only one fish inhaled the jig. Wind was getting up and I hit the trailer at 8:45. I figured it was one of those days.

Gotta love that skunk jig. Just don't think it's a good idea to carry one in the boat. roflmao

Haha yeah if I woulda had that jig I might’ve tossed that sucker out today too!!! Who knows maybe that’s what they wanted..... I do know that the comments on this thread are making me feel much better about this mornings fiasco.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Humbled? - 06/09/18 02:51 AM

It happens to all of us at times. Pick the wrong place to start out. Fishing too shallow or too deep. Most fish come early and slow down as the day progresses. My experience lately is the crappie are pretty much done by 12:00, so there's not much room for error.

It will get better.....in September....lol.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Humbled? - 06/09/18 03:02 AM

Adapt and overcome son!!

Re: Humbled? - 06/09/18 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: TroyKing
Adapt and overcome son!!

Not gonna lie buddy that’s what’s on the agenda for tomorrow....got a sack of range cubes and a plan! I’m determined!
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Humbled? - 06/09/18 03:35 AM

You should do well then.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Humbled? - 06/09/18 06:50 PM

Caught 1 Mondo a cat,sandbass and one barely keeper yesterday.I like crappie fishing better when they are biteing
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Humbled? - 06/11/18 12:30 PM

This time of year the fish can get very finicky. Minnows go a long ways.
Posted By: SK.

Re: Humbled? - 06/11/18 02:36 PM

Watch for that thermocline it's coming to visit you soon if not already....
It will stack the feesh up if you're paying attention you'll get'um.....
Posted By: LowBudget Fishin

Re: Humbled? - 06/11/18 03:00 PM

I fished LOP last Sunday and ended up with 19 by timber jumping. We caught 3 max at each timber, 1 being the average. Went yesterday after church with a buddy. We caught 1 at the first tree, went to second tree and storm started to blow in. We caught 10 there and had to head to the bank to ride out the storm. An hour later we went to the next tree in line and caught 13 there, and left because another storm was coming from the south West.
Point is, fish were biting cause of the storm. They have always been there, but when there are finicky, you have to move to find the active fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum