Texas Fishing Forum

Granger Lake for the first time

Posted By: sticknstring

Granger Lake for the first time - 05/22/18 03:52 AM

I went out to granger this morning, got stuck on the interstate near downtown Austin. Instead of arriving at 615 , I got to the ramp after 8. Not how I wanted to start my day. The water was at 78 degrees, stained and calm. I drove around marking potential piles till about 9. On the first pile fished, I managed to pull up a dozen fish on hand tied purple chenille body with flash and chartreuse tail jig. I did soak a minnow- nothing touched it!everything was caught on jigs! I managed only one keeper out of this hole. Lots of dinks on this lake! As the day got warmer the fishing got better. I put about 60 fish in the boat, releasing all but 1 dozen of the bigger fish- which I managed to catch later when it was bright and warm. I was getting the jig deep into the piles for the bigger fish- everything was caught in 10-13 for. It was a good way to spend a monday!

Lots of dinks!!!

ALL MY BETTER FISH were caught when the sun was high

Time to get the grease hot!!
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Granger Lake for the first time - 05/22/18 11:10 AM

Good report, glad to hear about all the dinks and yea, Austin traffic sucks

thanks
Posted By: Harleyrockstar

Re: Granger Lake for the first time - 05/22/18 04:08 PM

Sounds like a good trip. I fish Granger pretty often and you usually have to throw back 2 or 3 undersized fish for every keeper. I had a trip last year where I had to throw back 16 until I got a keeper. Lol. Thanks for the report!
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Granger Lake for the first time - 05/22/18 10:17 PM

I thinkI am wait till next year to try Granger...give some of those dinks a chance to grow up!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Granger Lake for the first time - 05/23/18 02:15 AM

Nice post and fish. Good job. thumb

Side Note: Austin traffic is a "NIGHTMARE"! bang Best times to drive in Austin are between 2am and 5am! nuts
Posted By: catcrap

Re: Granger Lake for the first time - 06/12/18 05:09 PM

and even then you have to worry about the drunks leaving all the bars. nice granger report though!
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Granger Lake for the first time - 06/12/18 06:11 PM

Nice post thumb
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Granger Lake for the first time - 06/12/18 06:22 PM

Very nice! This time of year I don't like fishing before 9 am. I want the sun high and it hot as it puts the fish down in the brush where I am looking.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Granger Lake for the first time - 06/12/18 08:29 PM

[quote=crapicat]I thinkI am wait till next year to try Granger...give some of those dinks a chance to grow up! [/quote

its been like this for 15 years
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Granger Lake for the first time - 06/13/18 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: leanin post
[quote=crapicat]I thinkI am wait till next year to try Granger...give some of those dinks a chance to grow up! [/quote

its been like this for 15 years
That's right on there, same with catfish from the bank.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Granger Lake for the first time - 06/13/18 03:33 AM

CONFUCIUS SAY... azn azn azn the larger fish tend to pair off and hang around smaller structure away from larger piles. if you want to catch bigger fish, this is the key. sometimes the structure is so small you wont see much at all on sonar, sometimes just the fish. there are thousands of these little " personal " piles on granger. yes, harder to find, yes wont hold many fish, yes you have to sneak up to it, but you will catch more keepers. basically if you set your sonar to fish id, and see either a fish symbol, or something on the bottom that is not " the bottom".. stop and fish it.
when you consistantly have small fish year after year, its either stunted growth, due to way too many fish in the lake or poor forage , , or over harvest of mature fish. when the 14, 15 and 16 inch fish are gone, the 12 and 13s look quite attractive. when the 11 and 12s are gone, the 10s seem acceptable. I think doing a slot limit for a few years on that lake would do it wonders.
I dont consider catching 50 fish to get 8 legal fish a good fishery.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum