Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts Crappie

Posted By: wrestlefish

Ray Roberts Crappie - 05/07/18 03:29 AM

Tried a brush pile bite - nothing. Then the bridge - nothing. Then vertical timber - nothing. And then found them in 2 foot of water near wood. Spawning for sure. EZ limit once I figured it out.
Posted By: NitroGlistenin

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie - 05/07/18 05:04 PM

Awesome. I've had heck trying to locate them this spring over there. Was all set to go yesterday but had to take the wife to the hospital. On jigs or minnows?

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie - 05/07/18 11:41 PM

I had a jig tied on one foot below a bobber. I had minnows but I was catching them so fast I flipped it back out without rebaiting and caught fish that way too. I also caught them dangling jigs in the brush. Lots of time they were hitting the bait at the moment it hit the water. Fastest action I have had in a long time.
Posted By: NitroGlistenin

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie - 05/08/18 03:54 AM

Nice! thumb

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie - 05/09/18 10:03 PM

Went back to the same spot two days later. Only caught 3 crappie. Channel cats and large mouth bass were there probably eating the spawning Threadfin shad. Maybe the catfish and bass pushed the crappie out?
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Ray Roberts Crappie - 05/09/18 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: wrestlefish
Went back to the same spot two days later. Only caught 3 crappie. Channel cats and large mouth bass were there probably eating the spawning Threadfin shad. Maybe the catfish and bass pushed the crappie out?

The crappie probably just finished spawning and headed out deeper. It doesn't take them long to spawn once conditions get right.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum