Texas Fishing Forum

Lavon report

Posted By: Hancock's Guide Service

Lavon report - 05/03/18 06:43 PM

1-20’ of water.. yep, it’s that time of year when fish are scattered all over the lake. I’ve been catching post/pre- spawn fish in 10-20’ water and numbers have been getting better as more fish spawn and move out,. This past few week with the help of the full moon another good wave of spawners moved up. Yesterday with the high winds we were forced to fish shallow and we found some really good fish. Males in 1’ and bigger females just out in 3-4’. Button willows seem to be the cover to focus on. Isolated clusters out away from shoreline catches my eye everytime. Look for something out of place from the usual miles of willows along the bank.
I keep saying it’s about over but it looks like one of those years where the spawn will drag on into middle May.
If your up shallow and all your catching is small fish then it’s about over in that area. Creeks and deep coves will play out first. Later in the spawn I get closer to the main lake and quality seems to improve.
Lavon has been tougher because of the higher water this year. Too much good cover in 1-3’ and the fish are scattered. One reason I focus more on a post/pre- spawn pattern. Its less affected by weather and fish are more concentrated.
If you catch a fish or two in a shallow area slow down and work it close. Odds are there are several there.
Color doesn’t matter to me as long as it’s white/Chartreuse.
Should be a good weekend on the lake. Good luck to everyone fishing I am headed to Fork and catch some giants!
cheers
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Lavon report - 05/03/18 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Hancock's Guide Service
1-20’ of water.. yep, it’s that time of year when fish are scattered all over the lake. I’ve been catching post/pre- spawn fish in 10-20’ water and numbers have been getting better as more fish spawn and move out,. This past few week with the help of the full moon another good wave of spawners moved up. Yesterday with the high winds we were forced to fish shallow and we found some really good fish. Males in 1’ and bigger females just out in 3-4’. Button willows seem to be the cover to focus on. Isolated clusters out away from shoreline catches my eye everytime. Look for something out of place from the usual miles of willows along the bank.
I keep saying it’s about over but it looks like one of those years where the spawn will drag on into middle May.
If your up shallow and all your catching is small fish then it’s about over in that area. Creeks and deep coves will play out first. Later in the spawn I get closer to the main lake and quality seems to improve.
Lavon has been tougher because of the higher water this year. Too much good cover in 1-3’ and the fish are scattered. One reason I focus more on a post/pre- spawn pattern. Its less affected by weather and fish are more concentrated.
If you catch a fish or two in a shallow area slow down and work it close. Odds are there are several there.
Color doesn’t matter to me as long as it’s white/Chartreuse.
Should be a good weekend on the lake. Good luck to everyone fishing I am headed to Fork and catch some giants!
cheers

OMG Theres no fish in Fork,.. fish
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum