Texas Fishing Forum

Aquilla Lake

Posted By: Major 118

Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 01:58 PM

We went out to Aquilla this past weekend and fished our favorite spots from this last summer and only caught one crappie. Where are the fish? Up in the creek?
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 02:04 PM

Probably up in the creek still welcome
Posted By: whitneylakerat

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 02:07 PM

not on summer spots yet.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Major 118
We went out to Aquilla this past weekend and fished our favorite spots from this last summer and only caught one crappie. Where are the fish? Up in the creek?

Yes, as a matter of fact, they are...hope this helps!
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 04:43 PM

welcometo the forum!
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 05:49 PM

can the creek be accessed by foot, havent been to the thrilla in aquilla yet.

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 06:18 PM

Its been a while since I've been there, but unless something changed, you can, but its ugly. alot easier with the boat

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: TreeBass
Its been a while since I've been there, but unless something changed, you can, but its ugly. alot easier with the boat

You can’t get to Aquila creek by boat these days, only by foot...or yak...logjams...anyone that really wants to know how to get ther can PM me, give me a phone number, and I will call and give you directions...won’t tell you where to fish, or how to catch them, just how to get to the creek, and you can figure the rest out for yourself...especially, if you have been following my comments over the last several weeks. Hope this clarifies the situation some!

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 08:09 PM

whoa, really now nuts

Sounds like its time for a yak trip fish

thanks for the update

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: leanin post
can the creek be accessed by foot, havent been to the thrilla in aquilla yet.

Yea, wear rubber boots and a long sleeve shirt. Fortunately, the hogs have cleaned up most (not all) of the snakes in that area, so other than some poison ivy, and briars, not much to worry about.

Probably a bit late in the game to try that creek this year, unless we get another good rain, but if you want to give it a go, I will be happy to provide directions.

Fished at different bank spots on the lake yesterday afternoon after I heard a report of shallow crappie showing up, and without success (too lazy to pull the boat out), so the fish have not moved up shallow, despite some occasional witness accounts of fish being caught shallow...it’s still early for Aquila to turn on shallow, usually mid to late April, for some strange reason...although, I can usually find some pretty quick, if I need to...I haven’t needed to, and don’t care to fight this danged wind...
Posted By: Major 118

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 09:44 PM

Thanks to all for the information!
Posted By: fishincoach

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 11:01 PM

Tin Horn

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: TreeBass
whoa, really now nuts

Sounds like its time for a yak trip fish

thanks for the update

Hey, if you want to try, I will ride along...I know how to walk out if we have to...I have hunted the area enough to keep my bearings...

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: fishincoach
Tin Horn

Thiere is a tinhorn on Navarro Mills, that is a pretty good community fishing spot. There used to be one at Hog Creek at Aquilla, but the Corps replaced it with a couple tiny ones and the fish don’t really congregate there like they used to, and they closed the Hog Creek area, except for foot traffic.
Posted By: fishincoach

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/05/18 11:43 PM

Tin Horn was money in the flooded cockle burrs many moons ago

Re: Aquilla Lake - 04/06/18 12:44 AM

Imagine my surprise, when I walked in there all keyed up to catch some crappie...and see two little drains and no crappie...caught a few at the beaver dam and headed elsewhere.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum