Texas Fishing Forum

Best Crappie Catching Advise

Posted By: SlabNSteve

Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/29/18 12:56 PM

I thought it would be beneficial to a lot of new crappie fishermen, like myself, to hear some of your experiences. I belive the best advise I have been given (by one old fart in coveralls), is while jigging, keep your line moving ever so slowly at all times. This way you'll be able to feel the fish bite when they are biting lightly.
Posted By: SK.

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/29/18 01:52 PM

Sometimes the fish prefer a fast moving up jig...
But be sure the most important thing is stay in contact with your jig... make your line part of your rod... know what the weight of you're jig feels like....
Learn what a crappie coming up with your jig feels like...
Be on structure that hold feesh.....
There's several other IMPORTANT things but these are at the top of my list....
IMO..... I'm sure you'll get several different ones...

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/29/18 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: SK.
Sometimes the fish prefer a fast moving up jig...
But be sure the most important thing is stay in contact with your jig... make your line part of your rod... know what the weight of you're jig feels like....
Learn what a crappie coming up with your jig feels like...
Be on structure that hold feesh.....
There's several other IMPORTANT things but these are at the top of my list....
IMO..... I'm sure you'll get several different ones...

Great advise sir. I've seen several of your videos, and appreciate your efforts.

Thanks for jumping in!
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/29/18 04:39 PM

Always watch your line. You will see the bite before you feel it

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/29/18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: gar1970

thumb
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/29/18 05:25 PM

I can't even guess to tell you how often I've seen the line go off to the side and never felt the proverbial "thump".
Posted By: fishr3

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/29/18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: UncleFunky
while jigging, keep your line moving ever so slowly at all times. This way you'll be able to feel the fish bite when they are biting lightly.

A slight variation to this is "keep the slack out of your line" so that you can detect a bite. Sometimes you may need to stop retrieving a jig and let it fall to get a bite, but you need to have tight line to detect the thump. You may also want to pause if you feel a slight peck before getting a solid thump. It's difficult to tell if your jig is hitting something or getting bit when retrieving it, but if you pause the retrieve and feel a thump, then set the hook.
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/29/18 06:17 PM

Fish will change how they want a presentation in the blink of an eye. If you are catching fish vertically and they turn off try backing away from the structure and pitching the jig past the structure and letting it swing to you. This will sometimes get them to "feeding" again.

>E
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/29/18 09:36 PM

The best advice I ever got was to watch the line not the tip of your rod. This is the reason why hi-vis line is so popular. Like stated many times the only you will see is your line moving sideways.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/29/18 09:47 PM

don't fish unless you see fish,..if they don't bite or stop biting,...move. Repeat.

fish
` hooked
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/29/18 09:59 PM

Nothing replaces time on the water. Period

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/29/18 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
don't fish unless you see fish,..if they don't bite or stop biting,...move. Repeat.

fish
` hooked

So invest in good electronics???

Next on my list is a Humminbird with side imaging. Will a seven inch model do the job?
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/30/18 12:28 AM

yes,...and get side and down imagine...
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/30/18 12:33 AM

fish
` hooked

Next on my list is a Humminbird with side imaging. Will a seven inch model do the job?
I will most likely be selling my helix 7 chirp Si G2 real soon.

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/30/18 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: TroyKing

fish
` hooked

I will most likely be selling my helix 7 chirp Si G2 real soon.

Keep me up to date, I may be interested.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/30/18 02:13 AM

Good electronics is key. There aren’t any secrets out there anymore. Everyone has side imaging. BnM makes good, affordable rods that don’t break the bank for all aspects of crappie fishing.

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/30/18 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Grainraiser
The best advice I ever got was to watch the line not the tip of your rod. This is the reason why hi-vis line is so popular. Like stated many times the only you will see is your line moving sideways.

Hi-Vis line - Yep, gotta have it...I didn't like the idea at first, but I sure do now, after using it.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/30/18 11:01 AM

Have fun!!
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/30/18 03:38 PM

Plus 1...also, You can/should keep your finger in contact with the line at all times, as it helps to detect bites that you don’t see at first...braid has less stretch than mono and can really help detecting light or deep water bites...

Good thread...
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/30/18 04:26 PM

Most difficult part about crappie is locating them. Get that down and you've got about 80% of it.

Eric

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/30/18 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: erittmueller
Most difficult part about crappie is locating them. Get that down and you've got about 80% of it.

Eric

Agree...when I pull up to a boat ramp...I think, Ok there are several 55 gallon barrels on this lake somewhere that are full of crappie, now I just have fo find them.

Laner always says, fish fast till you find good keepers, then slow down...or something very close...
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/31/18 05:41 AM

I use 4pd test for crappie fishn and I believe it makes a difference in feeling a bite and I 99% of the time fish a 1/8 oz jig head

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/31/18 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
Originally Posted By: erittmueller

Eric

Agree...when I pull up to a boat ramp...I think, Ok there are several 55 gallon barrels on this lake somewhere that are full of crappie, now I just have fo find them.

Laner always says, fish fast till you find good keepers, then slow down...or something very close...

Good stuff right there!!!

I sure wish I could put all this knowledge to work this weekend, but it ain't gonna happen... This weekend is dedicated to the family, so I'm about to fire up the smoker and give six racks of ribs some loving. Hopefully I'll share a few pics of next weekend's success.

I hope all of you enjoy this Easter weekend as well.

Steve

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/31/18 01:12 PM

After you get on the crappie, remember that crappie (any fish really) prefer to bite when the jig is on the fall (decending in the water column), probably 80% of the time, which is the main reason you have to watch your line.

Ribs? food grill
Posted By: TurboDan

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/31/18 01:44 PM

Learn to feel the brush.

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/31/18 03:34 PM

fish
` hooked

Hey, Funky...I Fish most all my life without electronics...then got badgered into buying one...got an 898 si di...after installation and learning to use it, finding fish on a new lake took considerable less time...plus, I found many new holes on familiar lakes...so, I started adding more stuff, just to take advantage of my time...
Posted By: Brian Spagnola

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 03/31/18 03:58 PM

I like to use big baits, like 2-3 inch baits. Yum Ringfry work in pumpkin torn in half is one of my fav's.

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/01/18 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Brian Spagnola
I like to use big baits, like 2-3 inch baits. Yum Ringfry work in pumpkin torn in half is one of my fav's.

Thermocline offers 3 inch crappie baits...I learned how to fish them from TBox last weekend and that they do catch fish, despite my aversion to large baits...so, I bought some for next I go fishing deep water with DW Moore...

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/02/18 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Brian Spagnola

Thermocline offers 3 inch crappie baits...I learned how to fish them from TBox last weekend and that they do catch fish, despite my aversion to large baits...so, I bought some for next I go fishing deep water with DW Moore...

I can see how they would be a good choice for very stained water, or while going deep.

Thanks gents!

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/02/18 10:20 PM

There's lotsa valuable info out out in this thread...
I haven't read any comment that isn't a important part of constantly getting on the silly fish....
I really like that comment Lanier said, finish fast until ya find'um.... works very well...
This thread could go on for years.....

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/03/18 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: SK.
There's lotsa valuable info out out in this thread...
I haven't read any comment that isn't a important part of constantly getting on the silly fish....
I really like that comment Lanier said, finish fast until ya find'um.... works very well...
This thread could go on for years.....

I'm certainly glad I started it. Most folks are reluctant to share information, but this is a testimony of character.

Hopefully one day I will be able to pass on knowledge that I've gathered with experience.

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/03/18 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Ledeez
I use 4pd test for crappie fishn and I believe it makes a difference in feeling a bite and I 99% of the time fish a 1/8 oz jig head

I love fishing 4 lb line! Only problem, I have with fishing it all the time is that, I almost NEVER fish where 4 lb will work...the one exception is bridge fishing, or dock shooting, for me...then I have to remember to put the net in the boat! So, most of my reels are spooled with braid, cause it fits where I fish most all the time.

Regarding jighead weight...I fish the lightest jig I can get away with, given the wind, depth, and trolling speed of the Captain. I try to always have constant feel of the jig with my finger on the line...except when bridge fishing, or dock shooting, then it’s impossible, so I go hi-vis... roflmao
Posted By: Three Nails Guide

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/03/18 09:48 PM

Move , move , move keep on the move. The biggest mistake I see Crappie fishermen make, is staying in one spot too long.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/03/18 09:55 PM

Don't forget a good set of binoculars. roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/04/18 11:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobcat1

Yep, you have to have binos, or else you might not “find the boat lanes” buoys. Never know WHO you might see on the lake in the STRANGEST places, using the ODDEST bait choices... OMG

Good stuff, Bobby...My binos, like my phone stay in the truck, unless I am at a GTG (keeping up with bush hog) or waiting on someone who is late getting to a boat ramp. bang

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/04/18 12:19 PM

fish
` hooked

Hey, Funky, there is a 998 si di In The trading post section, that is a screaming good deal...got everything you need even a ram mount setup, and a hard carry case...better jump on it fast, before someone else does...I sent it to the top, so it should be on the first page...

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/04/18 02:47 PM

fish
` hooked

Hey, Funky, there is a 998 si di In The trading post section, that is a screaming good deal...got everything you need even a ram mount setup, and a hard carry case...better jump on it fast, before someone else does...I sent it to the top, so it should be on the first page...

I'm all over it, I sent him a p.m. with my contact info. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/04/18 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Three Nails Guide
Move , move , move keep on the move. The biggest mistake I see Crappie fishermen make, is staying in one spot too long.

fish wife bolt
Gotcha.

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/04/18 09:10 PM

Yep, you have to have binos, or else you might not “find the boat lanes” buoys. Never know WHO you might see on the lake in the STRANGEST places, using the ODDEST bait choices... OMG

Good stuff, Bobby...My binos, like my phone stay in the truck, unless I am at a GTG (keeping up with bush hog) or waiting on someone who is late getting to a boat ramp. bang

Not that I would ever use them in a sneaky kinda way, but I could see myself using them for "research" purposes only. peep
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/04/18 10:07 PM

Not that I would ever use them in a sneaky kinda way, but I could see myself using them for "research" purposes only. peep
cheers
Posted By: CrazyCrappieGuy

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/04/18 10:38 PM

Interesting, I always thought crappie fish would be great for a blind person because so much is feel.

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/04/18 11:38 PM

fish
` hooked

I'm all over it, I sent him a p.m. with my contact info. Thanks for the heads up!!!

He called and I got it!!! Man I'm super excited to go pick it up and look around!

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/04/18 11:49 PM

Will my Navionics chip I use in my Lowrance handheld GPS work in a Humminbird 998 si di?

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/05/18 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: FishingGuy

Interesting, I always thought crappie fish would be great for a blind person because so much is feel.

With the right rod and line it can be a touch type game, especially, if you are on a bite and showing off a bit...like when you are dialed in and your boat buddy is struggling and you just have to show him/her you can catch them behind your back or between your legs or over your shoulder, without looking... roflmao

Seriously, the touch game is enhanced if you have the right equipment and a finger on the line...or at least, it helps me tremendously.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/05/18 12:37 AM

Will my Navionics chip I use in my Lowrance handheld GPS work in a Humminbird 998 si di?

Should work. If it's a micro chip, you'll need a holder to fit the 998.

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/05/18 01:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby

Should work. If it's a micro chip, you'll need a holder to fit the 998.

No, it's the regular sized card.

Thanks!

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/05/18 02:34 PM

i Think gar fishing has more feel roflmao

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/05/18 03:12 PM

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/08/18 09:27 PM

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Sometimes it is sometimes it ain't... they will nailthe jig and then they will ever sooooo slighty suck it in... gotta be ready for both at all times....

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/08/18 11:50 PM

Are you lost sir? We try to keep it classy, not "trashy" here on this forum.
offtopic roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/09/18 12:29 AM

Are you lost sir? We try to keep it classy, not "trashy" here on this forum.
offtopic roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/09/18 12:30 AM

fish
` hooked

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/09/18 12:04 PM

Edited comment..Thanks for the consideration of all!

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/09/18 01:56 PM

I edited my comments as they did nothing to enhance this great thread

Re: Best Crappie Catching Advise - 04/09/18 02:37 PM

I edited my comments as well. In the future, I will review them before posting.

Sorry for the confusion.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum