Texas Fishing Forum

Scouting Report from Ft. Worth Fishing

Posted By: Laner

Scouting Report from Ft. Worth Fishing - 03/28/18 04:56 PM

3-28-2018

How goes it, TFF?! I know a few of us are tired of this rain but I sure am happy to see all these full lakes and rivers. That makes three really good spawns in a row now, which will pay huge dividends in the future. Every time our lakes and creeks get flooded in the spring we can bet on another good class of crappie and baitfish replenishing our favorite fishing holes.

With that being said, March and its tendency to present natural obstacles can create a bit of frustration for all fishermen, both recreational and professional alike. I know that in the years past, February and March are the two months when it’s most common for me to either discount a trip or just flat out give it away for free. So far, I’ve only had to do that once this year. Hopefully it stays that way!

Here is what my customers and I have been doing to put fish in the boat:

Bodies of Water fished Recently: Cedar Creek, Brazos River, Weatherford, Benbrook, Nolan River
Temps of most lakes (creek arms and coves, specifically): 61-63 degrees
Depth of Fish: 12” of water to 13ft of water, depending on location.
Rod: 6-8ft G Rods www.constantpusuitoutfitters.com
Reel: Pflueger Presidents and Shimano Siennas found at any Walmart or Academy
Line: 6-8lb hi-vis Wally Marshall monofilament
Tackle: White Hot Thump Buddies and Thump Jumpers rigged on either 1/16 or 1/8 unpainted jig heads, no collar, #4 sickle hooks. www.constantpursuitoutfitters.com, and minnows under bobbers in very muddy water.
Boat: For creeks and rivers: 18ft Lowe Roughneck. Lake: 2400 Purebay from Bluewave.

Number one piece of advice: don't stop moving until you find fish, and then slow down.

Best Locations:
This is a tricky subject as it has been changing daily, which is typical of early springtime fishing. Given the full moon and flooding that is taking place right now, I am looking for fish in flooded weed beds with super dirty water. If it’s cloudy outside, expect them to be in 12-18” of water. I will also be looking for fish in current breaks, or eddys, of swollen creeks as the ambush and gorge on shad.

As of last week, before the rains, I was finding large amounts of fish on rock ledges in 8-14ft of water. They were jet black and stacked up thick. I was catching fish by the glow of my bow lights, and would’ve met earlier than we did if my customers didn’t hate me for doing so. No joke folks, as soon as we would pull up in the dark of night, we would start catching fish immediately under my LED bow lights.

As far as technique goes, it changes almost daily, depending on what nature allows us to do. I’ve been fishing flooded timber, grass lines, button willows, rocks, docks and bridges. I know that lends to thousands of possible places where to find fish, but that’s how it is right now, and that’s why I have been lying awake at night trying to figure out where the next day’s fish will come from. It’s part of the game and a reason why I have such a love/hate relationship with the spawn.

Planning for the future, April is typically more consistent than March, as the water continues to warm and the fish become less sensitive to weather fluctuations. I generally see the spawn really go full swing during April around DFW, while the crappie in my east Texas haunts get on shallow brush, boat docks and bridges. I like April for lots of big fish and broken lake records, while May-June is more known for getting limits.

If you would like to join me, here is what my schedule looks like and what we can expect in regards to fishing patterns:

April: Spawn around DFW, Bridges, Boat docks and Brush in east Texas
Available Dates: 13th all day open at Cedar Creek, 18th open all day anywhere

May: Brush Piles and Boat Docks on all lakes, meat hauling
Available Dates: 9th all day, 16th all day, 17th afternoon, 11th morning at CC, 23rd all day

June: Brush Piles, meat hauling
Available Dates: 13th afternoon at CC, 15th all day,16th all day, 20thall day, 21st afternoon, 22nd all day, 23rd morning, 27th all day

I can be reached at 817-266-9811 or www.ftworthfishing.com

Here are a few pics from the last couple weeks:

Posted By: cdoz35

Re: Scouting Report from Ft. Worth Fishing - 03/28/18 05:12 PM

Awesome report, and thanks for the info!
Posted By: BrazosRiverTom

Re: Scouting Report from Ft. Worth Fishing - 03/28/18 06:34 PM

Good reporting job. Thanks
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Scouting Report from Ft. Worth Fishing - 03/28/18 11:17 PM

See you are staying plenty busy! I ran across your rig parked on the river a while back...thought it was in a strange place...one of my fishing areas...so knew you were hustling for some fish!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Scouting Report from Ft. Worth Fishing - 03/28/18 11:23 PM

Great post and some solid fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Scouting Report from Ft. Worth Fishing - 03/29/18 03:01 AM

Good job, Capt.

>E
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: Scouting Report from Ft. Worth Fishing - 03/29/18 03:15 AM

Nice job Lane!
Posted By: SlabNSteve

Re: Scouting Report from Ft. Worth Fishing - 03/29/18 12:44 PM

Great read sir. Thank you for your time sharing your thoughts!
Posted By: Laner

Re: Scouting Report from Ft. Worth Fishing - 04/02/18 04:09 PM

Friday the fish were in 8-12ft on rocks at daybreak, then we moved onto brush in 12-16ft to pick up the rest of our fish. We ended the morning with 46 crappie and some wild cards. All fish came off White Hot and CC Special Thump Buddies.

Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Scouting Report from Ft. Worth Fishing - 04/02/18 04:16 PM

Very nice Lane! Definitely planning on taking the new boat down there soon.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum