Texas Fishing Forum

Best crappie rod

Posted By: DEE CRAPPIE

Best crappie rod - 03/23/18 04:57 PM

What is your best or favorite crappie rod that you like or recommend. And explain why you think it's the best and why you like it
Posted By: DavisGuideService

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/23/18 05:55 PM

Pro angler-mega back bone,very light, always in stock, free shipping and usually get them to my house In Less than 48 hours. Oh and very affordable! I won’t buy any other brand.
Posted By: Bobby Goforth

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/23/18 06:18 PM

mr. crappie pro and slab shaker. the slab shaker is very good for an inexpensive rod and reel. The Pro Series is a step up from Slab Shaker.
Posted By: Finaddict

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/23/18 06:27 PM

And a step up tp the Elite is G-Rod. Super light, sensitivity, and backbone to sling a 3 lber into the boat.
I have Wally Marshall, BnM Sam Heaton, ACC, Bonehead, and G-Rod and they are in line bottom to top in performance and price.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/23/18 06:41 PM

For dock fishing and fishing straight down, I like the Falcon Bucoo 6'6 Light action. Only cost me $50 from their shop I believe. May have been $70, I can't remember.

For Doodle socking, they make longer rods and called the Slab Slayers. But I really like the Todd Huckabee rods for this. They are quite a bit lighter than the Falcon jig poles
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/23/18 08:27 PM

G-Rod, light and sensitive, but tough. I'm replacing all my bass and crappie rods with them.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/23/18 09:13 PM

ProAngler - light, sensitive, good backbone, quality stainless guides, cork or foam handle, quality construction and tough, free shipping, unsurpassed customer service, and the price is right.

You can spend 2 or 3 or 4 times more for a rod, but you won't get 2 or 3 times more value for the money IMHO.
Posted By: slabcrazy

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/23/18 10:16 PM

I use a BONEHEAD 8' and have been really pleased. I have several other rods Wally Marshall, BnM Sam Heaton, ACC, pro angler, but I go back to my Bonehead. Great backbone, sensitivity, light weight for all day vertical jigging. best bang for the buck.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/23/18 10:41 PM

This one, 8ft St Croix Panfish series (4-8lbs)
Ironically this one is for sale $130, like new
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/23/18 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
ProAngler - light, sensitive, good backbone, quality stainless guides, cork or foam handle, quality construction and tough, free shipping, unsurpassed customer service, and the price is right.

You can spend 2 or 3 or 4 times more for a rod, but you won't get 2 or 3 times more value for the money IMHO.
+1 thumb
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/24/18 12:20 AM

Posted By: Jacob

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/24/18 12:29 AM

8 ft. Pro Angler. Nothing better for the money.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/24/18 01:02 AM

BnM Sam Heaton Super Sensitive
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/24/18 04:22 AM

For fishing under bridges or in tight cover I use a 5 1/2 or 6' Shimano Sojourn. For vertical jigging brush piles or standing timber I have been using the 8' Pro Angler. Last fall I went to Waterloo Rods here in Victoria and started talking with Carson and had him find a blank to build me an 8'crappie rod. It was a good rod but it was a little heavy and stiff to my liking. After taking him a Pro Angler he said let me find you a blank. It so happened that I had a little accident on the boat about 3 weeks ago and in the process of twisting my ankle pretty bad I broke the original rod. I called him and asked him if he had any luck finding a new blank as I had broke the first one. He said "I think I found and darn good one". I said get me one made. He called me a about a week later and said it was ready. When I walked in the shop he was grinning ear to ear. I picked it up and all I can say is, WOW! Needless to say he hit it out of the park with this one. Before I even pulled out my card to pay for it I told him get me two more on the way. Tomorrow is the maiden voyage for the new Waterloo Crappie Sticker. I will still use the Pro Anglers but I have a feeling that they will eventually get a little lonely. If you are in the market for a hand wrapped custom rod made here in Texas I would definitely get in touch with Carson at Waterloo. They have been making saltwater and bass rods for years and venturing into the crappie market.

>E
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/24/18 04:31 AM

I have gravitated to the Boneheads, after trying/owning all but the G-rods...they came out after I collected a good mess of Boneheads...Never cared for the G-Loomis Rods, personally...However, I am thinking about replacing my 11 foot rear seat ACC with a rod more like the Boneheads, more backbone, great balance, fast tip, insane sensitivity when paired with braid...so I thought about checking out the G-Rod rear seat, after talking at length with TBox, as he has never steered me wrong...My problem, is that I can’t fish most of the rods listed here, as I typically fish tangles and heavy brush that limber rods just won’t get the fish out most of the time...so, it’s not because I don’t like them, per se, they just won’t serve my purposes most of the time, so I stay with what works best for me...good luck figuring out what you want....
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/24/18 06:42 AM

Rhino cause I am old and contrary and they do not cost a tank of gas ...
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/24/18 12:16 PM

In my professional opinion it's h2o express hands down!!!!...J/K...I like the sensitivity but has hardly any backbone. I really don't have a lot of experience with those other rods except for pro-angler and ACC Stix. But I'm pretty happy with their performance and you can't beat the prices which is one of the main things I look at. Happy Rod hunting Bud! thumb
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/26/18 04:01 PM

We use Zebco Hotcast fishing poles that are 4ft 6in medium to light and a Omego Z02 reel. They work great and aren't pricey. The fishing poles are pretty durable.
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/26/18 05:10 PM

My 8' Pro Angler, will haul in anything. If you don't horse a big fish.

Can dock shoot with it.

Love my 10' ACC crappie stix for hitting the banks
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/26/18 05:22 PM

my best and/or favorite rods have become the 8-9' rods that are 'crappie rods' that are under $29-$39 dollars.
I usually get them at BPS or Cabelas. On Sale and Clearance are my favorite brands. I try to remember that about 95%
of the fish we catch are under two pounds. However last years occasional bass made for some very interesting catches...!!
I also keep the reels below $29, Okuma, Diawa, and Shimano have some great spinning reels in the 500-1000 models that I love for crappie fishing.
fish
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/26/18 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz

+1 thumb

THIS ^^
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/26/18 09:10 PM

Got a couple of these on the way. They should make decent crappie rods.

http://dobynsrods.com/rod/fr-661sf/
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/27/18 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson

I like to use lighter casting rods...I just picked up an old school Houston made Allstar, salty tail special, paired up with a gold Calcutta 50, it will sling an 8th oz crappie jig forever.
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/27/18 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: TroyKing

I like to use lighter casting rods...I just picked up an old school Houston made Allstar, salty tail special, paired up with a gold Calcutta 50, it will sling an 8th oz crappie jig forever.

Yep, I have a couple of the old Houston made Allstars. One broken back special and one shrimp tail special. The shrimp tail special is the lighter action of the two I have a Citica 100DSV on it that I use for a slip cork rig. I took the broken back special in to have a couple eyes replaced because I was thinking about selling it or giving it to my brother down in Rockport who lost some of his stuff during the hurricane. But, my rod guy talked me in to keeping it since is was made in Houston and a great blank. My brother will get something else from the garage sale bin.

>E

>E

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/27/18 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: canyoncreek06

Yep, I have a couple of the old Houston made Allstars. One broken back special and one shrimp tail special. The shrimp tail special is the lighter action of the two I have a Citica 100DSV on it that I use for a slip cork rig. I took the broken back special in to have a couple eyes replaced because I was thinking about selling it or giving it to my brother down in Rockport who lost some of his stuff during the hurricane. But, my rod guy talked me in to keeping it since is was made in Houston and a great blank. My brother will get something else from the garage sale bin.

>E

>E

The Dobyns is a spinning rod.

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/27/18 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: canyoncreek06

>E

>E
never heard of the broken back special...I do have a shrimp tail special tho...great rod as well.

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/27/18 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
G-Rod, light and sensitive, but tough. I'm replacing all my bass and crappie rods with them.

Hey, Gamblinman, if you got any black Boneheads 7 or 8 foot, or any of the red 10 foots, in crappie versions that you don’t want or are upgrading, send me a pm, I’m interested.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/27/18 12:42 PM

Whatever I have in the boat. I like them all and at this rate will own them all. If I had to choose one it would be a 8 or 10' PA. You just can't beat them for the price and free shipping.

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/27/18 01:23 PM

Hey Ken, good to see you answered his question based on what he asked. Tbox and I discussed this issue over the weekend, and he seemed to have a similar assessment to you on the proanglers....Being a financial expert and a value shopper, I questioned myself on this argument on the ride home yesterday. Why would I spend more money on other rods, when I have proanglers sitting at home collecting dust?

What I see as being the difference in your opinion and mine on the price/value...I have boated infinitely more fish with the Boneheads, than I have with the pro-anglers. So, while on a dollar basis your argument seems to marfginally hold, until I compare it on a fish caught value basis, then it just doesn’t hold true for me. In fact, when comparing the proanglers to the ACC, I prefer the ACC, despite the higher price...I was over trying out the 10.6 rear seat G-rods compared to the Rear seat ACC, because I was losing crappie with the ACC, that I never lost with the Boneheads and I wanted a better 11 foot rear seat, than what I had.

Now, I am not suggesting that the proanglers are not decent rods, they are, and I remember how sensitive they were the first time I used them. And I am not suggesting you have to spend more to get a decent rod, you don’t...infact, I believe you can buy a decent crappie rod for less than 15 bucks, depending on your budget. But, given the amount of time I spend on the water, more than the average fishermen, not as much as the pros...I can boat substantially more fish with the rods I use, than with other rods, so on a rod cost per fish basis, my choice is clear. Anyway, I hope, that I have answered the mans question in relation to why someone who is as value conscious as myself, would spend more money on a Bonehead or the GRod, than a Proangler...I guess it depends on your situation, angling expertise, fishing style, etc.

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/27/18 01:54 PM

Interested to see how they do, Cdawg wont let me borrow his coalition spinning combo. hammer

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/27/18 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat

Hey Ken, good to see you answered his question based on what he asked. Tbox and I discussed this issue over the weekend, and he seemed to have a similar assessment to you on the proanglers....Being a financial expert and a value shopper, I questioned myself on this argument on the ride home yesterday. Why would I spend more money on other rods, when I have proanglers sitting at home collecting dust?

What I see as being the difference in your opinion and mine on the price/value...I have boated infinitely more fish with the Boneheads, than I have with the pro-anglers. So, while on a dollar basis your argument seems to marfginally hold, until I compare it on a fish caught value basis, then it just doesn’t hold true for me. In fact, when comparing the proanglers to the ACC, I prefer the ACC, despite the higher price...I was over trying out the 10.6 rear seat G-rods compared to the Rear seat ACC, because I was losing crappie with the ACC, that I never lost with the Boneheads and I wanted a better 11 foot rear seat, than what I had.

Now, I am not suggesting that the proanglers are not decent rods, they are, and I remember how sensitive they were the first time I used them. And I am not suggesting you have to spend more to get a decent rod, you don’t...infact, I believe you can buy a decent crappie rod for less than 15 bucks, depending on your budget. But, given the amount of time I spend on the water, more than the average fishermen, not as much as the pros...I can boat substantially more fish with the rods I use, than with other rods, so on a rod cost per fish basis, my choice is clear. Anyway, I hope, that I have answered the mans question in relation to why someone who is as value conscious as myself, would spend more money on a Bonehead or the GRod, than a Proangler...I guess it depends on your situation, angling expertise, fishing style, etc.
What in the world!!!!... We are just simply fisherman Who go buy what we want when we want if we can...do you have some sort of BA In ROI of Fishanomics.." CPFB- Cost per fish basis..HaHaHa... I guess it does all come down to the same bottom line...all I can say is My CPFB looks pretty bad if you looked at my asset allocations on a Ballance sheet...."with that being said" and to get back on topic"... Of all the nice rods I have, my wife's little pink zebco 33 combo with the tip broke out has boated more 2lb crappie and big bass than any thing I have....you can bet it will be in the boat every time... bouncy..we need a fishing nerd or geek emoji!!

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/27/18 02:40 PM

roflmao

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/27/18 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: TreeBass

Interested to see how they do, Cdawg wont let me borrow his coalition spinning combo. hammer

I was drinking a few beers this weekend and fishing with one of the coalition rods. I missed a number of fish and finally realized the combination of the rod being too stiff and a mild buzz was causing me to pull hooks. I'll save you one of the light action Fury rods for next time you visit.

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/27/18 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat

What in the world!!!!... We are just simply fisherman Who go buy what we want when we want if we can...do you have some sort of BA In ROI of Fishanomics.." CPFB- Cost per fish basis..HaHaHa... I guess it does all come down to the same bottom line...all I can say is My CPFB looks pretty bad if you looked at my asset allocations on a Ballance sheet...."with that being said" and to get back on topic"... Of all the nice rods I have, my wife's little pink zebco 33 combo with the tip broke out has boated more 2lb crappie and big bass than any thing I have....you can bet it will be in the boat every time... bouncy..we need a fishing nerd or geek emoji!!

Haha...I love it...but Troy, menner rods don’t need any real specific features to be successful or boat fish...the menner and cork tend to the heavy lifting... scared and I know you WILL fish it at the Murvall GTG...

Re: Best crappie rod - 03/27/18 07:36 PM

Actually, I think Kirks argument is a good one...something about being able to catch fish with a broomstick, best I recall, and rods these days, even cheap ones are preferable to broomsticks...just saying...

Hey Troy, are we gonna do an Ugly Hat contest at the GTG? If so are there any rules...like goodwill or Salvation Army, yard sale, truck stop, or farm goods stores only?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum