Texas Fishing Forum

Mesquite for crappie structure

Posted By: cdoz35

Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/14/18 12:51 AM

Has anyone ever used mesquite trees for crappie structure? Seems like they would last a long time since they are so hard. I am about to be clearing a bunch, and am thinking about sinking it. Trying to decide which would be better: smoking some meat on it or using it to attract some crappie. I am leaning towards crappie.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/14/18 01:20 AM

Sounds like a win win to me.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/14/18 01:42 AM

Smoking with it...mesquite is actually a soft wood...it deteriorates fairly quickly...use cedar or bois’d arc...one has close branches and the other one lasts forever....mix in some bamboo in The bois d arc to enhance the security issue...
Posted By: Hickory Nut

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/14/18 01:57 AM

The mesquite I cut up in north Texas is just as tough as bois'd arc. Caught crappie out of brush piles for years and saw the brush still in good piles when we had the drought. I have tied weight to them to keep them down. I have had people say the mesquite will sink on it's own.
If it were me I would have groups of limbs tied and sunk and have trunks and big pieces saved for cooking.
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/14/18 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
Smoking with it...mesquite is actually a soft wood...it deteriorates fairly quickly...use cedar or bois’d arc...one has close branches and the other one lasts forever....mix in some bamboo in The bois d arc to enhance the security issue...

Not many horse apple trees where mesquite is thick.
Cedar or xmas trees suck. Willow trees are all we ever used
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/14/18 03:33 AM

Bois darc the best
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/14/18 03:45 AM

I catch crappie out of mesquite trees at choke canyon. They have been there since the lake was impounded in 1984. I used to build furniture out of it. It is definitely a hardwood

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/14/18 08:16 PM

I would have to respectfully dissagree with your statement "....mesquite is actually a soft wood.."
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/14/18 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
I would have to respectfully dissagree with your statement "....mesquite is actuall a soft wood.."

Yeah, what are you smoking anyways Crapicat?

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/14/18 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SheCrappieKilla
I would have to respectfully dissagree with your statement "....mesquite is actually a soft wood.."

roflmao

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/15/18 02:11 AM

I would have to respectfully dissagree with your statement "....mesquite is actuall a soft wood.."

Good cigars! Go look at the wood hardness scale (I would look it up and post it but don’t know how)...mesquite, as I recall from my last review of the hardness scale, is considered a soft wood...please, check it out and correct me, if I am wrong...as a young man, I cut wood for years, to sell, and to dispose of as unwanted trees...mesquite is soft relative to hardwoods...just saying, it may be hard to y’all, but my saw goes through it like a knife through hot butter...it sure ain’t bois d arc, or cherry, or oak or hickory, or hackberry...but hey, I’m no expert and don’t claim to be...but I have well over 5000 cords of wood on my back over the years...and mesquite is soft wood to my saw...
Posted By: cdoz35

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/15/18 02:29 AM

http://www.workshoppages.com/ws/misc/wood-hardness-chart.pdf

Mesquite is 2345
Red oak is 1260

So almost twice as hard as red oak. I am pretty sure it would be considered a hard wood. Not many woods on that chart that are harder.
Posted By: Hickory Nut

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/15/18 02:32 AM

According to the Janka scale, Osage orange has a rating of 2400, mesquite rating is 2345.
Pecan and hickory were both 1820

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/15/18 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Hickory Nut
According to the Janka scale, Osage orange has a rating of 2400, mesquite rating is 2345.

Ok, thanks for looking, I stand corrected guys...hmmm, now I’m conflicted...wonder why I have don’t have any gunstocks or duck calls made from mesquite...what’s worse, now my saw is lying to me...so, if any of y’all want to sink some mesquite or bois d arc, send me a PM...I will loan you my saw...I got gobs of both that need to be cut...and hackberry, and honey locust too...just let me know...
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/15/18 02:45 AM

So what you smoking now?

Well it is good to smoke with as well as building brush piles.
Posted By: fridays86

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/15/18 02:46 AM

Mesquite will sink on its own, but it will move easy obviously without weight

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/15/18 02:55 AM

roflmao

Evidentially, Dam Good Cubans! ... roflmao roflmao
Posted By: canyoncreek06

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/15/18 02:57 AM

Ok, thanks for looking, I stand corrected guys...hmmm, now I’m conflicted...wonder why I have don’t have any gunstocks or duck calls made from mesquite...what’s worse, now my saw is lying to me...so, if any of y’all want to sink some mesquite or bois d arc, send me a PM...I will loan you my saw...I got gobs of both that need to be cut...and hackberry, and honey locust too...just let me know...

I've seen a couple rifle stocks that were made out of mesquite. They were absolutely astounding pieces of work.

>E
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/15/18 01:10 PM

When mesquite is green, it's full of water. That's why it cuts easier than oak. Mesquite is known for sapping all the water from the ground. And that's why it will sink without too much weight. After drying, it's very hard wood. But the drying process takes a very long time and that's why you don't see gun stocks made from mesquite. Drying has to be very controlled to get mesquite to the point where it won't warp after curing. Wood that tends to warp after the gun stock is made is a no go.

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/16/18 12:42 PM

Ken to the rescue! Man, I appreciate you clearing that up for me...it was driving me crazy..I was ready to give my chainsaw away for lying to me... roflmao

I ALMOST lost a $100 dollar bill and a good cigar...which is what I would have been willing to bet Kirk over the matter... hammer
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/16/18 04:44 PM

You experts make me laugh , I have a bunch of Christmas Trees buried standing straight up underneath my dock , did it when the drought got us , I have been catching the [censored] out of crappie every since . The owner before me had them tied up underneath the dock for years and catching the [censored] out of crappie. Yup you experts sure make me laugh .

Re: Mesquite for crappie structure - 03/16/18 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Hog Jaw
You experts make me laugh , I have a bunch of Christmas Trees buried standing straight up underneath my dock , did it when the drought got us , I have been catching the [censored] out of crappie every since . The owner before me had them tied up underneath the dock for years and catching the [censored] out of crappie. Yup you experts sure make me laugh .
Just about everyone knows about christmas trees but The question ask`d was about Mesquite wood if my memory serves me correctly.Was`nt it? I`m no expert but are`nt Christmas trees Cedar?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum