Texas Fishing Forum

Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th

Posted By: plugchunker

Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 02/14/18 08:05 PM

I live in San Antonio but will be visiting my sister in Plano the wkd of March 30 and want to do some Crappie fishing while I'm there. Any recommendations for bank fishing or guide recommendations for this area during this time of yr. I know down here I'll be catching crappie on the bank with my long pole for the next few wks but up there I'm not sure when it starts. I'm willing to pay for a guide too if that's what it takes to get on some slabs, but I've also heard that guides can struggle during the spawn because the fish move off the brush and get shallow. Feel free to PM me if your worried about internet scouts and if you're ever down south I can point you in the right direction during the spawn. Thanks.
Posted By: Retired&Free2Fish

Re: Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 02/14/18 10:52 PM

PM Sent.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 02/15/18 12:36 AM

Man that’s gonna be Tough to say. March 30th is usually right during the kind of transition phase when the fish are all over the place. Usually about the second or third week of April is when it gets real good up here for spawners. Most are still in 30-40 FOW right now, and with the exception of a few days over the next couple weeks it doesn’t look like it’s really gonna warm up any time soon.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 02/15/18 01:08 AM

There should be spawners up shallow then. I would say just pick a lake and find a guide. Plenty of guides around here should be able to put you on spawners then.
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 02/15/18 02:38 AM

If your on foot the time of year check out the large pond at Mcinnish park in Carrolton. You can catch spawners right next to the bank under a cork. Or get yourself in any given cove on Lake Lewisville or Grapevine that has brush and laydowns. I prefer the ones on the east banks. You also have a few creeks that will be holding crappie and likely a fair amount of sand bass.
Posted By: PMV

Re: Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 02/15/18 04:55 PM

That is the weekend of crappiefest and there is some big money being given out at lake fork. one fish could win you over 13 thousand you might be hard to find a guide. just a heads up.
Posted By: PMV

Re: Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 02/15/18 04:55 PM

That is the weekend of crappiefest and there is some big money being given out at lake fork. one fish could win you over 13 thousand you might be hard to find a guide. just a heads up.

Re: Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 02/16/18 04:12 AM

Good information guys. Sounds like there's a lot of opportunity up there. The pond sounds good for my young boys and looking at Lewisville on the satellite seems to be plenty of spawning coves if I can get access
Posted By: Los Lagos

Re: Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 02/19/18 04:55 PM

how old are your boys?
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 02/20/18 02:26 AM

Plug, give me a shout if you want some tips on where to go once the time comes

Re: Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 03/29/18 04:09 AM

How's the spawn going up there? We'll be heading up there tomorrow. Hard to leave all the spawners down south especially on this full moon it's been easy pickins.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 03/29/18 04:56 AM

Originally Posted By: plugchunker
How's the spawn going up there? We'll be heading up there tomorrow. Hard to leave all the spawners down south especially on this full moon it's been easy pickins.
barely getting going....90% of our fish will be in 6-18FOW until the second week of April.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 03/29/18 11:29 AM

Fish are moving up. I would be looking shallow in the creeks and in the very back of coves. I definitely wouldn't wait till mid April to look shallow.

Re: Plano Crappie Fishing March 30th - 03/29/18 02:40 PM

Thanks ill start there. And I shouldn't have to dodge gators either which will be nice.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum