Texas Fishing Forum

Batt in Storage

Posted By: skychief12

Batt in Storage - 02/13/18 05:27 PM

For boats with on-board chargers.

When storing a boat for a few months do you disconnect the charger ?

Last year I left mine on and the charger bold all of the battery acid out and I had to replace both trolling motor batteries. This year I unplugged the charger think I'd reconnect when the weather start to warm up more.

What is the best approach ? Leave it plugged in or unplug ?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/13/18 05:59 PM

Your charger should not boil them dry. Get a new charger for storage. Battery tenders are for storage.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/13/18 06:04 PM

automatic timers,..i have mine set
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/13/18 06:05 PM

The bank chargers should be 2 amp maintainers which should be designed to stay hooked up, check the amperage on your chargers.
Posted By: hunter1st

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/13/18 06:05 PM

I can't help with on board charger, I remove mine from the boat, move to garage for winter and put a charge on them about once a month, same for mower/tractor batteries. For my travel trailer I disconnect the batteries and also charge about once a month.
Posted By: koobycrappie

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/13/18 07:10 PM

Get yourself a "Guest" brand on board charger and leave it plugged in.
This is the only brand that I have had continued great luck with!
Had others that would boil your battery dry in no time.
I rarely have to add water to my battery and I now get years of service from my batteries.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/13/18 07:12 PM

I use Battery Tender brand for storage.

They are dependable & buy the model that is waterproof.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/13/18 08:52 PM

On my third Guest charger on 2 different boats. They have served me well. Never boiled a battery...always charged and ready.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/13/18 10:25 PM

Well, I run gel cells, which negates to the to run chargers/maintainers...after fishing, I charge my batteries up, then unplug...evening before a fishing trip, I go plug in the charger, and next day I am good to go. The gel cells can be discharged completely (ok to 5%) and will recover just fine, over and over again....long term storage tends not to bother them, at least in my experience. Hope this info helps...
Posted By: Dutch1947

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/13/18 10:31 PM

Talk to Dave Goodson at Shut-Up-and-Fish - 972-822-9285

Get yourself a Minnkota Digital on board charger and your battery concerns and troubles will be over. They condition your battery and they won't boil them dry.
Charging rate is all automatic. It goes from quick charge, to optimum, to trickle, and finally maintain. Leave it plugged in all the time, and forget it. Don't forget to unplug it before you go fishing..
Posted By: Finaddict

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/14/18 11:51 AM

Battery tender for long term storage.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Battery-Tender-reg/734156.uts?slotId=2
Posted By: KingFish1183

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/16/18 09:51 PM

I have a sweet 4 bank charger that I'm selling. It will turn off when all the batteries are charged and then just maintain like Battery Tender. It's expensive but i'm selling it.
Posted By: MAK747

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/17/18 04:36 PM

Any decent on board charger should be able to be to be left plugged in 24/7. After charging the battery it will switch to maintenance mode to keep the batteries topped up. With that being said, I typically plug mine in when I get home and unplug it after a day or so. I then plug it back in the night before I go to the lake just to ensure the batteries are fully topped off. I'm just more comfortable knowing there is no power constantly connected to the boat. Though it may seldom happen, electronics do occasionally fail and having it cause a fire is not out of the question.
Posted By: Coach Hark

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/17/18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: MAK747
Any decent on board charger should be able to be to be left plugged in 24/7. After charging the battery it will switch to maintenance mode to keep the batteries topped up. With that being said, I typically plug mine in when I get home and unplug it after a day or so. I then plug it back in the night before I go to the lake just to ensure the batteries are fully topped off. I'm just more comfortable knowing there is no power constantly connected to the boat. Though it may seldom happen, electronics do occasionally fail and having it cause a fire is not out of the question.

Exactly what I do with my batteries.
Posted By: Bob Browne

Re: Batt in Storage - 02/27/18 02:18 PM

STRONGLY recommend you guys look at the VDC BatteryMinder. Not just a charger/maintainer, but DESULFATES the battery. Have had several deep cycles last 5 years +.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum