Texas Fishing Forum

Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?

Posted By: Lollygagger

Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/12/18 11:49 PM

I'm still not very comfortable interpreting 2D images but this came across my Lowrance unit one day and it got my attention. In these screen shot images, it appears to me to be a bunch of fish (crappie or sand bass or both I'm assuming) feeding on a large school of bait fish. Is that what y'all see too or is it something else. I definitely stopped to fish it but didn't get narry a bite. But again that could just be a lack of ability on my part.

Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/12/18 11:51 PM

That’s what it is for sure

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/12/18 11:55 PM

Is it possible to tell if these are crappie or sand bass or both?
Posted By: Pwizzle89

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/12/18 11:56 PM

that's exactly what that is.
Posted By: Jacob

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/13/18 12:03 AM

Put a jig in the water!
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/13/18 12:08 AM

I see at least 40-50 fish and they’ve got that bait ball all busted up.

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/13/18 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Lollygagger
Is it possible to tell if these are crappie or sand bass or both?

No sir. Just have to drop a shiner or a jig and find out what they are.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/13/18 12:31 AM

Don't fish that, back off a little and call me, fishing that alone may cause you to get
your arm broke,..That needs a team effort
fish
` hooked hooked hooked
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/13/18 01:29 AM

That's the kind of screen shot we all dream about. You sure you had a hook on your lure? LOL
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/13/18 02:01 AM

SandBass or Hybrids more than likely.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/13/18 02:09 AM

That's not a picture....that's a Rembrandt coolphotos
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/13/18 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: bush hog

!!!
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/13/18 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Notaguide
Originally Posted By: bush hog

!!!

Yup..I think I would blow it up and frame it!!! thumb
Posted By: DNA

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/13/18 02:24 PM

are you sure that you stopped and fished at the same spot where you got this screenshot and fishing depth is key for crappies as well.
Posted By: DNA

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/13/18 02:25 PM

somehow I trust the downscan image more.

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/14/18 01:33 AM

I think I need a much larger display screen on my Lowrance unit because I couldn’t see these images as clearly while out on the water. I saw it enough to stop and fish it for but evidently not long enough. It wasn’t until sometime later when I took the screen shots off the unit that I could better see what I had came across on the water. Needless to say, I was sick at my stomach when I realized what i missed.

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/14/18 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: DNA
somehow I trust the downscan image more.

Why do you say that?

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/14/18 01:46 AM

I think I need a much larger display screen on my Lowrance unit because I couldn’t see these images as clearly while out on the water. I saw it enough to stop and fish it for but evidently not long enough. It wasn’t until sometime later when I took the screen shots off the unit that I could better see what I had came across on the water. Needless to say, I was sick at my stomach when I realized what i missed.

What do you have?
Posted By: markson

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/14/18 02:01 AM

I definitely have had more success once I swapped out the 7" screens that came with my boat to 12" screens. And I elevated the bow mounted unit with a Ram Mount so I could easily mark and see structure while standing.
For bass I would have been throwing a swimbait, crankbait, jigging a lipless or a spoon. And sometimes you have to keep moving around them because when they are slashing the bait like they can push the school around quit a bit.
Posted By: Laner

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/14/18 02:21 AM

I don't know if you tried this or not, but the only way I'm getting bit right now is holding my jig dead still for 10-15 seconds at the appropriate depth. You're definitely on fish. Every once in awhile I get on a school like that and it's blue cats. They will still hit a jig though.

We are fishing stuff that looks exactly like that.
Posted By: SheCrappieKilla

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/14/18 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Laner
I don't know if you tried this or not, but the only way I'm getting bit right now is holding my jig dead still for 10-15 seconds at the appropriate depth. You're definitely on fish. Every once in awhile I get on a school like that and it's blue cats. They will still hit a jig though.

Better pay attention on what he said.

Dead still and drag it sideways slowly, it the only way for me also.
Posted By: leanin post

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/14/18 06:55 PM

I would say those are mostly crappie. you see how the marking are kind of saucer shaped, and not boomerang shaped?
this situation can make tough fishing, because you are putting one offering, amidst maybe 20.000 shad. when you see this, try moving away some, and find more fish hanging near less baitfish. The fish ghosting along with these huge schools of shad gorge one or twice a day and thats all she wrote.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/14/18 09:13 PM

I see the Loch Ness monster.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/15/18 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Laner

Same way for me. Sometimes, I'd leave it set and just touch the trolling motor and let the jig drift ever so slightly and get bit. Been like this for me since the hard cold spell.

Re: Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing? - 02/15/18 05:59 PM

I have the Lowrance HDS7 at the console (touch) and at the bow (non-touch).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum